Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a spare Record BB, 2006 version, square taper, width is for a double.

Does anyone aside from Campy make cranks that will fit on it? Being compatible with Campy 10 drivetrain is not a requirement as I most likely will be running something else on it.

My goal is to use up some of the spare parts I have lying around, which includes this BB and a Colnago Master frame so I can build a bike geared more for climbing. I guess that means the crank would need to be 50/34 since I don't think the BB I have is wide enough for a triple.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Last year, I found on eBay a set of like-new Ergomo carbon compact cranks for a square taper BB. Like these: http://store.tri-sports.com/ergomocrank.html

I think the seller got them with his Ergomo Pro, but decided he wanted to run Campy cranks instead. I got them for some crazy price, like $120, because, after all, who runs Ergomo cranks with that huge logo if they don't have an Ergomo power meter?

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
IRD used to make a Campy compatible double. There are also many NOS square taper cranks on eBay.

But why wouldn't the frame be triple compatible? You obviously would not be able to use the BB you have, but with the proper BB and the longer spindle, you would be fine (I think.)

4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
terry b said:
IRD used to make a Campy compatible double. There are also many NOS square taper cranks on eBay.

But why wouldn't the frame be triple compatible? You obviously would not be able to use the BB you have, but with the proper BB and the longer spindle, you would be fine (I think.)
The frame is fine, it's the BB I was referring to. I feel like I should use the BB for something. I bought it a couple years ago and then never used it.

And now I just remembered why...It's english threaded. So it won't work with that frame anyway :mad: :mad2: :blush2:

· Registered
279 Posts
3dw said:
Performance Bike has square taper Carbon Centaur cranks for $199. They had Chorus at the same price for awhile as well. I picked up a set for an older Merlin I ws building up....
Centaur taper is a little different from Chorus/Record, so Centaur cranks wouldn't fit the Record BB correctly.

4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
minstrie said:
Centaur taper is a little different from Chorus/Record, so Centaur cranks wouldn't fit the Record BB correctly.
Hmm. Are you sure about that? I was thinking about seeing if I could find an alloy Centaur compact crank. I think they only made them one year...'05 or '06.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
No difference in taper.

Centaur taper is a little different from Chorus/Record
All Campagnolo square tapers are machined to the same ISO specification: 2 degree taper, 12.7 mm cross section at the small end. The differences are in overall axle length. Also, some Campy BB axles are offset.

· Registered
279 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Hmm. Are you sure about that? I was thinking about seeing if I could find an alloy Centaur compact crank. I think they only made them one year...'05 or '06.
Pretty sure, which when I say that is pretty sure. I'm dredging two/three year old memoiries, but back then I was sure enough to send some nice alloy Centaur compact cranks back to Great Britain (return shipping was my loss) after I belatedly did the research. Honestly I can't remember if it was different BB spindle lengths or taper angle or both, but without having tried to make the cranks fit, I was convinced enough by what Campy and others said to not even try. Of course, your torque and hammer size may vary.

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Axle length

minstrie said:
Honestly I can't remember if it was different BB spindle lengths or taper angle or both.
It's axle length. Chorus and Record use a shorter axle, so if you try to mount a Centaur or Veloce crank on a Chorus or Record BB, it will rub the frame. If you try the reverse, the cranks will be way to far to the right, messing up your chain line. All Campy square taper axles have the same taper.

· Registered
203 Posts
If I remember correctly, Centaur/Veloce square taper cranks use a 111mm symmetric, whereas Record/Chorus use something like 102mm asymmetric (offset +2mm on drive side) for doubles, and 111mm +2 for triples. Also, those numbers grow for frames with larger seat tube diameters.

I can confirm that the taper is the same because I recently switched one of my bikes from a Veloce triple to a Record triple using the same 111mm bottom bracket, and the crankarms fit perfectly on the axle. It's a Phil Wood BB so all I had to do was adjust the cups to move the axle 2mm to the right, and it seems to work fine (knock on wood).

· Registered
276 Posts
Almost right! Record and Chorus used 102mm symmetrical for double, 111mm (+2mm RHS) for triple. Centaur and below used 111 symmetrical except some triple cranks on frames with larger seat tubes used 115mm. Later track cranks use 111mm asymmetrical, older used 111 symmetrical, and older still used 109mm symmetrical.

Basically you're stuck with RE or CH cranks or trying to find something else that'll fit a BB with a short axle and smaller than JIS taper. The only thing I can think of would be a Ritchey Logic Compact MTB crank (94/58mm BCD) - if you can find one and want to run something like 42x29T.

I have one of those BBs sitting around too...

· Registered
258 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
It's axle length. Chorus and Record use a shorter axle, so if you try to mount a Centaur or Veloce crank on a Chorus or Record BB, it will rub the frame. If you try the reverse, the cranks will be way to far to the right, messing up your chain line. All Campy square taper axles have the same taper.
Why did Campagnolo do that with the square taper, ie. have different length axles? Strength? How is a Centaur crank different to Chorus/Record? I've been trying to figure it out but am handicapped by a lack of imagination/logic.

· Registered
203 Posts
Marz said:
Why did Campagnolo do that with the square taper, ie. have different length axles? Strength? How is a Centaur crank different to Chorus/Record? I've been trying to figure it out but am handicapped by a lack of imagination/logic.
I don't know either, but whatever it is, it's probably the same reason why they went with 135mm BCD for their chainrings ;).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.