Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never ridden single track (?) until 6 days ago. I have test ridden this bike several times around town and had fun.

Last week the shop let me take it out for real ("go ahead. if you like it, i'll take some off"). I rode; it was great! I got thrown off due to a pedal strike on a big rock off a downhill turn (big fat pedals + inexperience = bouncing off the trail). Got up & rode some more.

The shop gave me a slammin' deal w/ trade in on some parts out of my garage. I had to buy it. Went back out Sunday morning for a couple of hours with some folks. What fun!

pedals and shoes are on the way. I dont know what to do about tires, yet. Probably try to wear these out.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I L.O.V.E. that color!!

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Ditch those Small Block 8's and find something better. Those are only good for really hardpacked surfaces. Any loose over hardpack, and you'll be slipping off the trails.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
frdfandc said:
Ditch those Small Block 8's and find something better. Those are only good for really hardpacked surfaces. Any loose over hardpack, and you'll be slipping off the trails.
oh, i am slipping.:eek:

srsly...no idea what kind of tire to put on...it is a lot loose rock (Missouri)

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
JohnHenry said:
I have never ridden single track (?) until 6 days ago. I have test ridden this bike several times around town and had fun.

Last week the shop let me take it out for real ("go ahead. if you like it, i'll take some off"). I rode; it was great! I got thrown off due to a pedal strike on a big rock off a downhill turn (big fat pedals + inexperience = bouncing off the trail). Got up & rode some more.
Never? Moreon! At least you bought a good bike, because Kona does make good bikes.

The pedal on the rock happens, at believe me it is way better than toe INTO rock. There's a technique where you throw a quick 1/4 backpedal to avoid such things, but it takes some time to learn when to do it. And it takes a bit of experience to learn how and when to do it without looking down at the rock. Which is a very bad thing to do, m'kay?

One word of advice. If you are like most people, you will ride the local stuff quite a bit. You will get really good at those trails, and go very fast. Eventually you will go ride other trails. Be a bit cautious when you do, since it takes longer than one might expect to get from "skilled at this trail" to "skilled".

Enjoy the new rush of the trail, it's good stuff!

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Is it laterally compliant?

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
JohnHenry said:
oh, i am slipping.:eek:

srsly...no idea what kind of tire to put on...it is a lot loose rock (Missouri)
Since you're riding rigid, get a big, fat front tire- something like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Go less knobby for the back (I kinda like the Crossmark if you want to stick to the Maxxis theme). Also, go tubeless. Look at the Stan's site for advice on how to do so. You can run lower pressure, which will give you more cushion and better traction.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dr hoo said:
Never? Moreon!
I know...the shame..:D

I did get my foot caught between the pedal and a log somehow...:rolleyes: ...newb.

I will try that technique or "try to try"

THe shop tells me clipless will help with the whole rock/pedal thing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts