Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member of Adventure Cycling before. I've always wanted to ride but something or another has always held me back. Now I have a reason: my son. Taylor and I visited the local Cannondale dealer and road a couple of Carbon fiber Synapse 6s. What a kick. So much fun. Each bike was about $1700, well above our budget. The aluminum version is around $1200. Much better. The type of riding we will be doing will mainly be day rides of about 30-50 miles. At a later date, possible commuting. We also look forward, when we get the fat off, to riding an occasional century as well as benefit rides. Absolutely no competitive racing involved. Just quick, efficient, and fun rides. I like that the Cannondale has brazeons for racks. The tiagra shifting worked well. I also like that the Cannondale has brazeons on the fork as well as for a rear rack. Can I mount 32 cc tires on this bike in case I'd want to do something really crazy like ride the Transamerica? Last year I rode a Specialized Secteur Elite Compact. Really rode like a dream. Both, to the uninitiated (that would be me) seem to be awesome bikes. Considering the type of riding I wish to do, which do you think would be a better fit? Both use tiagra components. Tires on Secteur are a tad wider. Chain ring is same size. But what of the fork? Oh yeah, most of my riding will be on flat to somewhat hilly. No mountains. A dream ride is the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. One last thing. My son is a special ed kid. Low I.Q. (about 72). Very high achieving kid to be so low I.Q. So proud of him. Just graduated from high school. We just got back from FL. He went skin diving with an experienced diver. Sharks and rays were in the area. Now, he not only wants a super nice road bike, but he also wants to start diving. Don't ever undersell your child. Thanks for the comments. God bless. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am now. A few years ago, I was ready to die. Didn't wanna live anymore. It took many things to pull me out of that. The dream of bicycling across the country and the desire to learn to sail a boat is a small part of what pulled me out of my problems.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Synapse or Roubaix are always highly recommended for endurance riding. That's pretty cool that you found a fun healthy activity you can you with your son.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan, now stick with it and remember it comes in steps not all at once. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.