Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is so small I can't pull it out, and it has taken out two tubes now. I can feel it (it is sharp) but can hardly see it. It is like a tiny splinter. Any hints for getting rid of it, or should I put a tire patch on top of it?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I got it out now, but I can't find it.

(I thought I got it out yesterday, too).

At least, for the first time in human history, it was the front tire.

Almost at the point where I might try tubeless.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Wire from the tread of nearly worn out tires will do that too.......PITA to deal with. If you can't feel it from the inside with your fingers, take a cotton ball and run it on the inside of the tire and, if still there, it will grab a few strands of the cotton and show you where to do more work on removal. I can almost always feel the wires from tires, but sometimes not.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Its most-likely a wire(s) from the street sweeper.. I hit a patch and had three in one tire, it ruined a century ride for me as I failed to find all the wires the first and second repairs and did not have enough tubes and patches. I was the last guy into the barn and cut the ride short. Now I stay in the lanes and do not ride on the sides/median.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We don't have too many street sweepers on the roads where I ride, but three in one ride would really make me mad too.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm fairly sure I got it out. I patched the tube and put the patch where the offending object used to reside. The tire is a Clement MSO 40c, btw, and almost new. A lot of crap gets caught in the treads.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Somtimes taking the tire off and bending the tread sharply, either the normal direction or inside out, helps you get to the shard.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Somtimes taking the tire off and bending the tread sharply, either the normal direction or inside out, helps you get to the shard.
Yup. Flex the tire inside out and the bit of wire will be easier to find and remove.

And for those talking about street sweepers, that's not it. They use a large flat rod in their brushes. The most likely sources for bits of fine wire are steel belted radial car tires and general construction debris.

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Yup. Flex the tire inside out and the bit of wire will be easier to find and remove.

And for those talking about street sweepers, that's not it. They use a large flat rod in their brushes. The most likely sources for bits of fine wire are steel belted radial car tires and general construction debris.
There's different kinds of street sweeper brushes. Some use wire rope. It's possible it could be from frayed wire rope. But much more likely from car tires.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Get some tweezers from 'tweezerman'. Not cheap, but they're worth every penny. Look for them on Amazon.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Throw it away! and then forget about it, you'll be much more relaxed on the rides.
If it does it again, I am going to take it as a sign from Jesus to try tubeless tires.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did that. X100. I could find the spike. I just had a lot of trouble pulling it out. I used a needle-nose. I think I got it this time.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Air still in my tire this morning.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You can pick, dig out or push out a shard or wire with a tool. Push on it with a blunt tool to get it to protrude more on the opposite side so you can grab it or scrape it out with a blade, or use a sharp tool like an exacto blade to dig it out. Just don't cut the cords.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
STS - sick tire syndrome - I hate that.

If there's something that stays stuck in the tire, wouldn't a tubeless have a slow leak too?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can pick, dig out or push out a shard or wire with a tool. Push on it with a blunt tool to get it to protrude more on the opposite side so you can grab it or scrape it out with a blade, or use a sharp tool like an exacto blade to dig it out. Just don't cut the cords.
That was the approach I used the first time around. The second time, I think I managed to grab it with a needle-nose pliers...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts