Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I've heard the same thing, but since I'm not a vodka drinker, I can't tell ya whether it's true or not.

Their anejo tequilla is as good as any I've tried, though.

I'm not as fond of Kirkland bourbon. It's OK for the price, though.
The Anejo ain't bad, but it's nothing that special either. Probably comparable to a Hornitos Anejo. And above a certain price point, vodka is vodka IMO--especially if you're not drinking it straight. I've been partial to Titos lately, but Skyy or Three Olives is just about as good.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
This is my feeling about the new Fairway that opened up a couple miles from here in November. I walk around in a trance, get into long conversations with the coffee guy, and find that other shoppers will start talking to me out of the blue about their own obsession with the food.

While at checkout one day, the guy in front sees the Irish Oatmeal, and says, "That's the BEST!! A little cream and brown sugar- oh it's fantastic." Every time I'm there, it's somebody else in a different section regarding a different food.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
Actually Christine, you bring up some interesting points. One of Trader Joe's tactics are to have staff talk to customers about their food choices. Truthfully, I kind you not, a friend of mine is "Mate" like a ...assistant store manager for a Trader Joe's in Kentucky. She told me that the company insists that they get up front and personal with customers and discuss what's in their carriages while shopping in the store.

Odd.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
We used to go to Costco once a month. Since New Years', the family has been on a eating healthy kick so we find ourselves going there twice a month. Big trays of raspberries, bags of frozen shrimp, salmon filets, big spaghetti squash. I miss buying the big-azz muffins, though.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Yikes, I hope the other people aren't some kind of pseudo-shopper-customer-service people!! :shocked:

The coffee guy- there's no getting around him. He's helpful, but sometimes I just want to grab some coffee and get moving.

It's not like I'm starting any of these conversations, it's just funny how people will comment as you go about your business. Reminder that I'm not alone in my food obsessions.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
Yikes, I hope the other people aren't some kind of pseudo-shopper-customer-service people!! :shocked:
Actually not, it's the principle to encourage more impulse or "associated" buying. It was explained that if the "help" in the store interact with the grocery carriages asking customers what they're going to make with such and such a product or ingredient - it would lead to further buying of associated or suggested products in conversation.

In my mind this is called a "captive audience." It's like buying a smoke alarm and an associate in home depot walks over and suggests batteries.

What's spooky about the entire frame of reference is ...these stores will be moving over to hands free headsets. So one can spot what you're dropping in your carriage and appoint someone to give assistance. As well, if you're at a loss for words as an employee in discussion ...your fellow associates can couch you through the conversation with wireless.

Trader Raider Employee said:
I've noticed that you've just purchased the 2 ply ,.......
[interruption over wireless frequency]
Carriage Shopper said:
Trader Raider Employee said:
Correction, I've noticed you've picked up some dried apricots. Were you aware we are having a sale on couscous semoule de blé mix?

Carriage Shopper said:

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
My local Costco is across the street from their corporate HQ. It is so well run, it is scary.

You can tell all the customers are just part of a massive corporate experiment. I'm there all the time. Munchkin and I will even stop at the food court.

Oh, and it is around the corner from a Trader Joe's for all my non-family sized needs.

I am sick of the 'burbs, but sometimes...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Everyone in my office is doing a weight loss contest, started on Monday, to see who will lose the most weight over the next month. Today I picked up a few packs of Costco muffins that I'm going to bring them into work tomorrow. We'll see who survives. Muffins are healthy, right? Only about 600 calories in those monsters...

Btw, I love Costco!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts