Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was interesting. Normally I would never go to a stump speech, but he was speaking on campus, and I had to be there for a student organization meeting, so I walked the 50 feet across the quad to hear him. The sacrafices I make!

I have heard tell that his speech was a doozy. The text and the phrasing was excellent. However, the pacing was hurried. I suppose he was trying to get another one or two appearances in before the 10 o'clock news, given that the primary is today.

He spoke for 20 minutes, and if he had taken 30 and really worked the lines, it would have been probably the best short speech I had ever heard. As it was, it felt like a group tour being herded though a museum, lots there, but no time to savor and enjoy what was there. Still, even with that, it was excellent rhetoric. He would make strong candidate for pres, and a great VP choice for Kerry.

Interesting to me, I saw many exchange students there, from Croatia, and Venezuala, and elsewhere. They seemed a lot more educated on the election than many of my American students.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
speech making

dr hoo said:
It was interesting. Normally I would never go to a stump speech, but he was speaking on campus, and I had to be there for a student organization meeting, so I walked the 50 feet across the quad to hear him. The sacrafices I make!

I have heard tell that his speech was a doozy. The text and the phrasing was excellent. However, the pacing was hurried. I suppose he was trying to get another one or two appearances in before the 10 o'clock news, given that the primary is today.

He spoke for 20 minutes, and if he had taken 30 and really worked the lines, it would have been probably the best short speech I had ever heard. As it was, it felt like a group tour being herded though a museum, lots there, but no time to savor and enjoy what was there. Still, even with that, it was excellent rhetoric. He would make strong candidate for pres, and a great VP choice for Kerry.

Interesting to me, I saw many exchange students there, from Croatia, and Venezuala, and elsewhere. They seemed a lot more educated on the election than many of my American students.
If speech making were among the primary criteria for president, I'd vote for Jesse Jackson.
 

·
pack fodder
Joined
·
442 Posts
His trial experience has definitely honed his speaking skills. I still think in the long run he'd be the Dems' most formidable candidate against GWB. I think his retort about Kerry giving "the longest answer to a yes or no question I've ever heard" was sharp and refreshing while not coming across as nasty. I do recall him fumbling an answer or two during the debate leading up to the NH primary, so he still may need to polish his delivery before he's ready for the big time.

I'm a little tired of hearing his "2 Americas" rhetoric, though.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blame Disraeli, that's where it's lifted from.

The "two americas" theme that is.

Speaking skills honed by trial. Very true. One could argue that being a "great communicator" was enough for Reagan, who brought little else to the table, but what else does Edwards bring?

Working class roots. He was the first in his family to go to college, which is a pretty big accomplishment in and of itself. Law degree on top of that is pretty good. Shows intelligence and hard work, as well as an understanding of the "average" person's situation and the problems they face.

Successful trial lawyer. He went up against very well paid corporate lawyers and won. This says something for his work ethic, as well as his knowledge of the law. Work and Law. Both important aspects of a GOOD president.

He won office as an evil trial lawyer against a Jesse Helms machine incumbent. That shows savvy political skills, to say the least.

I would say for someone so young, he brings a great deal to the table. His weakness would be on policy details. However, that is not something that stands in the way of many candidates so long as they have the major themes that resonate with the voters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Edwards weakness in policy details

I remember reading recently on The New Republic website that he was the only candidate whith a detailed policy plan, at least on domestic economy.

I aslo recall an old interview of Clinton, I think it was in the Atlantic Monthly where he thought Edwards had the right talent and temparement but needed to "hit the book" with regards to policy. My impression is that he did
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Many, many questions about this "two America's" schtick.

I like Edwards so far, at least his campaign alligns more closely with my beliefs and values than the other candidates. Though I'm not sure I buy into his "two America's" theme. Are there really two America's? I don't think so. I don't see a class crisis occurring now, or even on the horizon. Then again, its probably not a bad idea to discuss it from time to time and make sure we're not heading in that direction.

Edwards comes across to me as having a bit of a Robinhood mentality. Its the only thing about his campaign that troubles me. What exactly is the democratic party's stance on income tax? I know they raise taxes, but who's? Just the taxes of the wealthiest people? I think I believe in a flat tax rate--even as a person who would potentially suffer for it. I think that if a person earns or inherits wealth, they shouldn't be forced to give more of it away than anyone else. It's theirs after all. And in the end, it invites the kind of special interest corruption that has gotten such a grip on Washinging.

I'll bet that Edwards theme resonates most deeply with down-and-outters who beleive that the solutions to their problems lie in someone elses nestegg. In a way, that's a smart campaign. There are billions of American's who fit that bill today, especially American's who are in poverty. What happens if he turns record numbers of that group out to the polls?

Let them eat cake!
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
Edwards just doesn't have the "chops" to win a Presidential election yet. Give him 8 years or so. Either Clark or Edwards would pull in Southern votes as a VP.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this interesting.

Free2Pedal said:
I'll bet that Edwards theme resonates most deeply with down-and-outters who beleive that the solutions to their problems lie in someone elses nestegg.

I would have thought the same thing too. But in WI, it turns out that is not the case:

"Kerry also carried every income group up to $75,000 with his largest margins among the lowest income voters (50-22 among those with less than $15,000). But Edwards beat Kerry among those between $75,000 and $100,000 (41-34) and tied him among those with $100,000 and over."

I'm not sure why this was the case, given the "two americas" rhetoric.

Inequality is rising in the US. The top 20% has done very well for the past 30 years, but others have not. Rising inequality and decreasing social mobility is a VERY big problem, imo. But that is a topic for another thread and another day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Free2Pedal said:
I'll bet that Edwards theme resonates most deeply with down-and-outters who beleive that the solutions to their problems lie in someone elses nestegg. In a way, that's a smart campaign. There are billions of American's who fit that bill today, especially American's who are in poverty. What happens if he turns record numbers of that group out to the polls?

Let them eat cake!
If billions of Americans showed up at the polls that would be rather shocking given our current population of around 290 million.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
781 Posts
Edwards is reactionary

His so-called "class warfare" is merely a call for the lower classes to become better, more successful capitalists. His rhetoric totally buys into the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I'm not sure we've met. Allow me to introduce myself

import silvia said:
If billions of Americans showed up at the polls that would be rather shocking given our current population of around 290 million.
HI! My name is Kristin and I exagerate. You'll get used to it. At least you didn't throw my spelling in my face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Free2Pedal said:
HI! My name is Kristin and I exagerate. You'll get used to it. At least you didn't throw my spelling in my face.
Hi Kristin, I'm James and I'm a smart ass and am best taken with a grain of salt. Nice to meet you by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Well....

Well, you've got a lot of questions and not easy ones either. Just a couple of seriously quick and dirty comments. As has been shown, the Democrats typically raise taxes, like more social programs, throw money on fires, and do things like veto lots of truly fair tax changes on the way out of office. You are right, why just because someone makes more than another, why should they be forced to pay more of a percentage? They shouldn't. Corruption and special interest has been a part of the system from day one. Who do you think the founding fathers were? The unwealthy and uneducated out of work bums? We are all in trouble should the numbers of non tax payers outgrow the taxpayers. Luckily I'm about half way to the grave!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top