Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom line is: Three cheers to FOSS! (that's Free/Open Source Software). Read on if you want to geek out on the details.

So far, Ubuntu Linux is pretty darn sweet. I think the main difference between Linux and Windows is that when I search for a problem in Linux there is usually a solution already documented by someone. To whit, I have already fixed an issue with citrix so that I can now log in to work, and have also fixed a bug particular to the Perl installation in Ubuntu 8.10. I guess it took a little background knowledge, but it wasn't any more difficult than a novice would encounter for windows. By way of comparison, I had to reformat my BIL's windows vista laptop to factory settings after he unwittingly installed a lexmark printer and it severely corrupted the print spooler (and I uninstalled, deleted, cleaned the registry, and everything else I could think of or google to no avail).

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
Bottom line is: Three cheers to FOSS! (that's Free/Open Source Software). Read on if you want to geek out on the details.

So far, Ubuntu Linux is pretty darn sweet. I think the main difference between Linux and Windows is that when I search for a problem in Linux there is usually a solution already documented by someone. To whit, I have already fixed an issue with citrix so that I can now log in to work, and have also fixed a bug particular to the Perl installation in Ubuntu 8.10. I guess it took a little background knowledge, but it wasn't any more difficult than a novice would encounter for windows. By way of comparison, I had to reformat my BIL's windows vista laptop to factory settings after he unwittingly installed a lexmark printer and it severely corrupted the print spooler (and I uninstalled, deleted, cleaned the registry, and everything else I could think of or google to no avail).
el oh el.

Ubuntu is pretty sweet. If I had to use Linux, or could use *nix for what I do (.NET/XNA programmer), I would use Ubuntu. I just wish Linux distros would get decent UIs. <3<3 Vista UX. The W7 explorer UI is like Vista explorer made more perfecter.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Installing Ubuntu 8.10

I have run Ubuntu 8.10 off the CD only. I liked what I saw.
I chickened out when it came to installing it on my hard drive. I have two hard drives. I don't know if I should install it on the one that has Vista, or the other one. I left a 50GB partition on the non Vista hard drive for it. Since my computer knowledge is limited, I am afraid of messing up things.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I'm on my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop right now. I agree that it is teh sweetness.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Running kubuntu on my lappy 'cause I can't stomach gnome. KDE is almost there. Almost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts