Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm an idiot. I just pulled into a friend's garage with my brand new Damocles attached to the roof rack. It is a dark dark day and I will never forget the sound of the carbon cracking. The only good news is that since I bought it with AMEX they have 90 day accidental damage protection so they are covering $1000 dollars but it still sucks. Definitely won't make that mistake again. To every one with roof racks....beware. This could be you.

G

·
Am I the only person in the world who has never even come close to driving into something with my bike on the roof?

I have been using a roof rack for 25 years or more and have never damaged either the car or a bike.

I simply don't understand how anyone could do this.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
strip that frame of all the parts. wheels, crank, brakes, seatpost...all of it. while you are down a bit at the start, you will, over time, come out ahead.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The upside is, the components and wheels look ok from the pics... you can get a nice frame only for $1000...

That happened to a good friend... sometimes you just forget. Buy a warning sign to hang from your rear view mirror whenever the bike is up top...

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Wow Dude...
OUCH!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!! This is exactly the reason why I will never place my bike anywhere outside of the car for transportation! One little brain fart, and your $4k bike is gone! I have always heard of people ruining their bikes this way, but this is the first time I have ever seen evidence.
I am sorry for your loss, and I hope you throw away your rack and transport the bike inside the car from now on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My sister's husband has done that twice. (hi Bill!) He doesn't use roof racks anymore...

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
It sort of looks like a Look TT bike. ouch.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
OK, to all of you that park your cars in your garage....

You obviously don't have ENOUGH BICYCLES!!!! If you did, there would be no room in your garage for cars.

Sorry, had to be said.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Am I the only person in the world who has never even come close to driving into something with my bike on the roof?

I have been using a roof rack for 25 years or more and have never damaged either the car or a bike.

I simply don't understand how anyone could do this.
About the same here.

I had one incident where I forgot to tighten down a wheel strap. Back from a ride fried and trying to get out of the motel in a hurry on vacation. Too many distractions.

Wheel bounced out of the tray and bent a fork. Did not come off the car.

I can't imagine driving under anything. I know exactly how tall we are and what we can make it under. 9' and up is good. Anything else is bad. We're actually about 8'6", but I expect the signs to be off a few inches.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts