Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is feed back on a tread I posted about which seatpost to go with, ti cf or al.

I went with cf, I ordered a Sette APX road post (27.2 250mm) from Price Point. Sette is the house brand for Price Point. Cost $49.95. First mistake-I ordered the wrong size, I called them back after I realized it and they corrected it, after punching a bunch of numbers on my phone. Second mistake- it is not a setback post, but I have used a Thomson Elite non-setback and it worked if I pushed my saddle (San Marco Regal) all the way back in it's rails (won't work on some saddles). I almost called them back and cancelled my order, but I thought I would wait until it arrived in the mail and take a look at it. It arrived Monday. I was impressed, very nice quality, nicely finished, it looks almost identical to my Thomson Elite post but in a cf form. It has micro adjust for fore and aft tilt, just like Thomson. Big problem with trying to decide whether to lube the post or not. I got all kinds of conflicting information when I asked a question about lubing a cf post on another bike forum. (Steel bike, cf seatpost). The directions that came with the Sette post had a whole page about how to install it, but nothing about lubing the post, it was not mentioned. I surfed the web and found a site about bike maintenance and a particular manufacturer recommended no lube. It recommended removing any grease on the inside of your seat tube and applying an automotive wax, which I did. I also called my LBS and they said the cf stuff requires no lube, but I could apply a light coat, which might make it slip.The Sette seatpost is not laminated, it slid right into my seat tube no problem (Colnago Master X-Light). I dialed in the tilt using the micro adjusting bolts and duplicated my saddle postion. I marked a line on the seat post with a felt tipped pen to see if it would slip. I rode today (rained yesterday). I could feel a difference with the cf post with the dampening. It did not slip, big problem even with my Thomson and Salsa Shaft seatposts. It looks nice, has an index scale on the back for height. I did not save much on weight, a whooping 3g under my old Thomson Elite. I like it, I could have spent more. I guess the big thing is I have a new toy for my bike. It will keep me happy for awhile. I will have to pull out the post once and while and check the seat tube for rust, I seldon ride in the rain, but encounter wet roads after it rains and water gets kicked back into the slot on the backside of the seat tube.

I dunno, I am sort of a retro grouch on a lot of stuff, but cf does make a difference, but I would stay away from the ultra light stuff.

I guess I'll get all type of responses now about cf, lube and such. But bottom line is, it works for me and I like it.

Over and out...

Dino

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Exit plan..

Just make sure you have an exit plan, unlike George Bush in Iraq, because once this baby siezes to your frame you will be cussing and trying to figure out how in the hell to get it out. It took a trip to 3 different bike shops to find someone who finally removed it--in pieces. I had tried lube, no lube, and a lot of prayer... none of which worked. Boy, do I love my Thomson setback seatpost now!!!!!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of post?

lyleseven said:
Just make sure you have an exit plan, unlike George Bush in Iraq, because once this baby siezes to your frame you will be cussing and trying to figure out how in the hell to get it out. It took a trip to 3 different bike shops to find someone who finally removed it--in pieces. I had tried lube, no lube, and a lot of prayer... none of which worked. Boy, do I love my Thomson setback seatpost now!!!!!

Curious, what kind of post, and what material is your bike? Was your post clear coated? The Sette is natural carbon fiber. I removed all the grease on the inside of my seat tube and applied a coat of automotive wax, which was recommended by a online bike wrench. So far, so good. I'll keep an eye on it.....

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Easton

Dinosaur said:
Curious, what kind of post, and what material is your bike? Was your post clear coated? The Sette is natural carbon fiber. I removed all the grease on the inside of my seat tube and applied a coat of automotive wax, which was recommended by a online bike wrench. So far, so good. I'll keep an eye on it.....
It was an Easton CF post and a custom steel frame. Good luck. I really cannot tell the difference in the ride between the CF and my aluminum post.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
I can't really address carbon seatpost and steel frame, but I can say from first hand experience that I have had zero problems without any lube or wax with a carbon seatpost and carbon frame.

I also can't notice any difference in ride characteristics between different seatpost materials. It's hard to believe that such a short "piece" could have any detectable movement regardless of material, especially since the horizontal component of the loading is so minimal.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Price and brand name..

B2 said:
I can't really address carbon seatpost and steel frame, but I can say from first hand experience that I have had zero problems without any lube or wax with a carbon seatpost and carbon frame.

I also can't notice any difference in ride characteristics between different seatpost materials. It's hard to believe that such a short "piece" could have any detectable movement regardless of material, especially since the horizontal component of the loading is so minimal.

Bryan
Price was a motivating factor for me. The Sette APX is an obscure brand that I have never heard of (American made). It lists for $49.98, my second choice was a ITM Millenium, best price I could find was $70.00. Interesting that I could find a nice cf seatpost for a fraction of the cost for a new aluminum....if you have time to kill, go over to the VeloNews Tech Talk forum and type in the word "carbon fiber" and read the hits. Interesting stuff....my main concern was lube for a cf post in a steel frame......

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Did the same (Thomson -> Sette)

I was looking for a carbon seatpost last month. On the recommendation of Cyclopathic, I got the Sette from Pricepoint. Placebo or not, I think there is a difference and the ride is a bit smoother. Grease or not ? Don't even remember what I did. Hope it doesn't seize to Ti.

Pierre

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes,

Pierre said:
I was looking for a carbon seatpost last month. On the recommendation of Cyclopathic, I got the Sette from Pricepoint. Placebo or not, I think there is a difference and the ride is a bit smoother. Grease or not ? Don't even remember what I did. Hope it doesn't seize to Ti.

Pierre
It was your post that made me click on Price Point and check out the Sette. Otherwise I never would have considered one... :)
Dino

·
Registered
88 Posts
no lube with chorus

i am pretty sure my campy chorus instruction said not to lube it. now that i have found pedals and a saddle that i am really happy with, hopefull i won;t have to move it until i get a little older and start shrinking. :p

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Sorry, not true.

C-40 said:
Carbon fiber has been know to seize to aluminum, but it does not have the same galvanic potential with steel. Don't worry about it.
Although the galvanic corrosion factor is higher in aluminum, it will seize to steel. In fact, my bike was steel and it seized. Shop told me that this was not an infrequent problem with steel or aluminum. Don't think it is a problem with carbon fiber frames.

·
Registered
344 Posts
lyleseven said:
It was an Easton CF post and a custom steel frame. Good luck. I really cannot tell the difference in the ride between the CF and my aluminum post.
JI didn't think it was possible for cf to seize with metal under the laws of metalurgy. It's possible if a cf post gets stuck, it is due strictly to the seat tube deforming and pinching it. When this happens, you loosen the seat clamp, but the tube doesn't loosen around it's entire circumference.
I wonder whether it's the carbon in the carbon fiber that allows it to seize? I also wonder whether composite posts are immune to this.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
It's called the placebo effect.....

Gripfer said:
I may be fooling myself, but I get a smoother less jarring ride out of a carbon post. I know it's subjective, but I tried them back to back with everything else constant.
But if you want to spend the money and it makes you feel more comfortable for whatever reason, and you don't mind cutting it out later if it seizes, go for it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The nefarious carbon seatpost

Golly! Does it seize instantaneously? I just disassembled an aluminum bike that has had a carbon post for the last three years. The post came out with no proiblems. Probably an aberration due to the fact that I live one mile from the ocean so the corrosion level is nil.

·
Banned
930 Posts
B2 said:
True.

And the downside to a carbon post. Breakage. The triathlete who took the bronze in Sydney had a carbon post break and...well remember the Seinfeld episode about the Assman and the ending of every proctologist joke. It was a million to one shot, Doc. A million to one.

He did make it out of the hospital with everything intact but it's kept me from using a carbon MTB post and the Ti one on my main road ride is sweeter than anything made out of plastic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Utah CragHopper said:
True.

And the downside to a carbon post. Breakage. The triathlete who took the bronze in Sydney had a carbon post break and...well remember the Seinfeld episode about the Assman and the ending of every proctologist joke. It was a million to one shot, Doc. A million to one.

He did make it out of the hospital with everything intact but it's kept me from using a carbon MTB post and the Ti one on my main road ride is sweeter than anything made out of plastic.
True, but carbon fiber isn't plastic. The allure is light weight and exceptional strength.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Gripfer said:
True, but carbon fiber isn't plastic. The allure is light weight and exceptional strength.
Go to MTB review and read the reviews of carbon bars. Scary number of failures.

A seatpost is stressed much less than a bar though.

The plastic jab is facetious when it comes to seatposts. But there is quite a lot of bike stuff that is marketted as carbon but is really black plastic--either that or its 95% resin and 5% fiber. Shoe soles. Saddle shells. Campy front derraileur body. Pedal bodies. Etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.