Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Panasonic Touring frame.... The frame comes apart similar to S+S coupled/ Breakaway frames..

http://www.yellowjersey.org/posd7.html

For $795.00(plus $35.00 delivery), I got frame, fork, fenders, racks and headset.... you get your choice of 30 colors and delivery is supposed to be 4 weeks...

Mine will be metalic red with gold logos...I'll problably go Dura Ace or Ultegra 9 speed triples...I have a month to make up my mind:p

The only downside is frames are limited to only small sizes since this is intended to be a Japanese market only frameset..( it doesn't effect me but it would taller riders)

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Cool. I didn't realize they were still selling those in the US. What do you mean by large? Would they carry any as large as 56-57 top tubes?

I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you, as I am also in the market for a touring frame. I actually intend to use it mostly for commuting, but the touring capability would be a plus.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
saw the exact thing in the same colors at the lbs here in Japan. It was done up with fake leather saddle and white tape with barcons,looked old school. Who would have figured Dave wouldn't get red? Seems like the panasonic brand has bit well and truely Edit..reread OP it will be red, should have figured

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tarwheel-the longest TT is 54.5 so I think you'd be out of luck

kiwisimon- I know...me with a red frame...go figure:)

MB-1- The BF is a fine bike...I'm just looking for something different...an all around commuter, light tourer

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
MB-1- The BF is a fine bike...I'm just looking for something different...an all around commuter, light tourer
Do you know how the take-apart feature works?

I’m intrigued, it looks like you loosen some pinch bolts and slip/pull the frame apart (I assume that is what the chrome on the frame is for). But that can’t be exactly right since the frame would have to bend somewhere for that to happen.

BTW we are really happy with our retro fitted S&S Coupled frames, so much so that we have ordered a new tandem with them. They turn out to be darn useful if you travel much but I do wonder about theft security as anyone with half a brain and a pair of channel locks could steal most of a coupled bike quite easily.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
damm, when you get hooked on something you take it hook, line, and sinker...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
2008 Panasonic Touring frame.... The frame comes apart similar to S+S coupled/ Breakaway frames..

For $795.00(plus $35.00 delivery), I got frame, fork, fenders, racks and headset.... you get your choice of 30 colors and delivery is supposed to be 4 weeks...

Mine will be metalic red with gold logos...I'll problably go Dura Ace or Ultegra 9 speed triples...I have a month to make up my mind:p

The only downside is frames are limited to only small sizes since this is intended to be a Japanese market only frameset..( it doesn't effect me but it would taller riders)
Yeah, I loved it when I saw it in the shop, but the sizes stop at 55, and I need at least a 60.

Congratulations- can't wait to hear how it rides!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:

I’m intrigued, it looks like you loosen some pinch bolts and slip/pull the frame apart (I assume that is what the chrome on the frame is for). But that can’t be exactly right since the frame would have to bend somewhere for that to happen.

BTW we are really happy with our retro fitted S&S Coupled frames, so much so that we have ordered a new tandem with them. They turn out to be darn useful if you travel much but I do wonder about theft security as anyone with half a brain and a pair of channel locks could steal most of a coupled bike quite easily.

I'm not sure how it works...As you said, it can't just pull apart..The downtube portion appears to be more than just a sleeve...

I don't know how much travel I'll be doing that will require a complete breakdown...I'm lucky enough to have fleet of trucks/airplanes that takes my bikes to most places I visit..

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
That's awesome. Me gusta.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Dang, that's a hella good deal on a sweet ride.

I missed that you're getting into touring. PM me sometime if you wanna do a S24O or maybe a weekender.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
A friend had told me about Fuji touring bikes that are being sold in Taiwan for about $800 US complete with Campy Veloce groups and Brooks saddles. I'm tempted to have him order one and have it shipped to me in The States.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MB1 said:

I found this on the Japanese website. The top tube slides together with a male/female connection and pinch bolt while the downtube uses a sleeve....

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
wow ... that's a great bike irrespective of the price. as neat as it gets IMO, all bases covered :thumbsup:

·
Done
4,515 Posts
That is clever as hell...

Wicked cool. What are you going to build it up with? That thing is just SCREAMING for some nice vintage SunTour components.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I'm going with a mostly Dura Ace setup..

Dura Ace 9 speed triple cranks, shifters, hubs and front derailleurs..XTR rear derailluer... Honey Brooks saddle and bar tape...

I can't wait

Here is a sneak peek... Holy crap...For $840 shipped, I got frame,fork, fenders, front rack, downtube shifters, quick connect cables, headset and my choice of colors... WOW

1 - 20 of 40 Posts