Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from a short 20 miler around town (Tacoma, WA) and about half way thru the ride, I was on a busy road between two shopping malls, lots of 5:00pm traffic...and a car pulled out of the parking lot of one mall and zipped across the road to the entrance of the parking lot of the other mall, right in front of me. On the cell phone, of course, and trying to zip across the road before fast-approaching traffic was coming in both directions on the road that I was on (me included).

We have these middle turn lanes on our urban sprawl roads here and I thought the car was going to turn into that middle lane to let me and other cars pass, so I didn't get on the brakes or anything...but to my extreme surprise, the car continued straight across the road right in front of me. It all happened so fast, but once I realized that the car wasn't gonna stop I locked up both wheels and thought to myself a millisecond before impact "Okay, this is really gonna hurt and I'm probably gonna get seriously F'd up when this is over." I initially thought that I was gonna get run over by the front of the car. A half millisecond after that thought, I thought "Okay, enough car has passed in front of me that I'm not going to sprawl out across the hood, I'm going to hit the side of the car and will probably be getting a head injury in the bargain when my head hits the side post or window." Then, still going somewhere between 15 and 20mph....BLAM! My front tire hit the side panel, right behind the passenger side door (it was a two door sports car type thing)...and I twisted sideways off the bike so that the left side of my body bodyslammed the side of the car. As this was all happening, I had somehow taken a moment to notice that all the cars near the scene all abruptly came to screeching halts. I kinda fell onto the pavement, as the car slowly crept the remaining way across the road into the parking lot, where it came to a stop. As all the other cars on the road were still stopped and ogling the scene, I got up, dusted myself off, did a quick inventory of bodily injuries (slight knee scrape, that was it!), bike damage (slightly tweaked bar, that was it!), saw the surprising amount of damage to the car that I had hit (totally bashed in side panel, cracked window, etc), waved to the driver, yelled a few choice parting words, got on my bike, and off I rode. For me, this experience will merely be but a story that I can tell. For the driver of that car, it will be a story and a costly repair job.

I was amazed at how soft of an impact it was, the side panels of cars really make for nice soft cushions! :) I am elated about how well the outcome of this turned out to be, let me tell you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am very happy to hear that your are alright. Now you need to get on the phone with the police department where it happened and report it. All thought you feel good now, you will not tomorrow. And as stupid as this sounds you could be in trouble for hit and run and leaving the scene of a accident. TRUST ME, CALL THE COPS TELL THEM YOUR STORY TELL THEM YOU WHERE CONFUSED AFTER THE ACCIDENT AND YOU ARE NOW REPORTING IT.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Score! Always sucks to be in an accident like that. But hey, you got out with nothing, pretty much, i'd be laughing. Sucks to be her now she has to pay for the repairs, but she was on a phone and you said she saw you. Good on ya for leaving the scene, not that you had to stay anyway. Just wait til all the ppl come and say that you should have stayed and exchanged details etc cos now she'll think all cyclists are like that and it's a bad image etc etc, but honestly screw them, im with you. Her fault, her loss.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dom3333 said:
And tomorrow if he he starts having problems from the accident then what does he do?.

meh, I appreciate your concern but I honestly sustained no injuries besides the scraped knee, i really don't think I'll feel anything tomorrow that I'm not feeling now.

I'm with Bryn on this. Her mistake, her problem. Hopefully she learned a lesson.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
BenWA said:
I was amazed at how soft of an impact it was, the side panels of cars really make for nice soft cushions! :) I am elated about how well the outcome of this turned out to be, let me tell you.
Just be safe and CYA with an accident report and be happy that adrenaline prolly helped that impact feel softer. I hope you feel great tomorrow and have no residual soreness.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if anything is gonna make me feel worse tomorrow, it's gonna be all you guys giving me subconscious suggestion that I'm supposed to be feeling worse. :p

·
Registered
421 Posts
file a report

I agree with those who say you should file a report, if only because the law calls for it. Remember: same road, same rules, same rights, and this is a "same rules" situation here. If you/we're not willing to do what's expected, I don't think we can expect others to do so either. Even if it's only a cover your backside sort of report, you'll want to do it. The last thing you want is someone/s insurance compnay hunting down some "psycho cyclist" who rammed their car. This way the driver's insurance company is going to get your side of the story, no matter what the driver says. If that person lies on the report (I was just crossing an empty street when this lunatic comes out of nowhere on his bike . . .) your story is on record. Best to make your story official and legal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are very fortunate not to be hurt worse!! You do need to call the police on this. In fact you should have stayed and had them on the scene. The driver was clearly in the wrong and would have been ticketed for failure to yield right of way. This would have added to her "lesson".
Damn, I hate drivers with cell-phones. They are in some parallel universe, ignoring the moment. Multi-tasking has its shortcomings.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Since...

Since bikes in lots of places are treated as vehicles (same rules of the road as cars and all), you shouldn't have left the scene of the accident, that was extremely stupid, and possibly illegal.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
man, that sucks -- a kinda similar thing happened to me a bit ago, in Federal Way, about 10 miles from you, only much faster and totaled my bike. I do think you shouldn'ta just left the scene -- and her insurance coulda ... blah, blah. etc.

Still, so relieved you're all right, for the most part. You're gonna be stiff in the morning...

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so I agree that leaving the scene may not have been the best possible choice. Mainly, I just didn't feel like dealing with it at the time. And frankly I was a little stunned emotionally and probably wasn't thinking the most rationally. If I had brought a cell phone with me, I definitely would've called the police and had them come out to the scene. As someone above said, maybe they would've found her at fault, ticketed her, etc. Maybe she had also been drinking and would've gotten busted for DUI, who knows.

At this point, the only thing that *might* be of consideration is if she tries to torque the story around such that the police/insurance co somehow believes that I was at fault. In that improbable scenario, my question is this: how in the hell would they know who they are looking for? Generic cyclist on a generic bike in generic cycling attire. Yeah, good luck with that.

I'm definitely not gonna lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
bleckb said:
I agree with those who say you should file a report, if only because the law calls for it. Remember: same road, same rules, same rights, and this is a "same rules" situation here. If you/we're not willing to do what's expected, I don't think we can expect others to do so either.
I agree 100%...
In fact, you may have been able to wring a lawsit out of this, and maybe get a new bike....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts