Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just unboxed my Wahoo Bolt... and Garmin is screwed! It's only a matter of time.

I scanned the QR code on the device, got it on Wifi within seconds, updated system software. I then download the companion app and was up and running within minutes. No wires, no reboots. It's amazing how much more responsive, legible and in depth this is over those tired Garmin products. Maps preloaded, 313MB free data.... I can't wait to use this on a ride this evening. The text is so crisp, the display is very much like a kindle where the display is on the surface and not the usual LCD below a plastic coating. Everything I hated about the Garmin is not present on this unit.

Sometimes, throwing money at a situation does make it all better :)

Display device Electronic device Technology Gadget Electronics

and the companion iPhone apps is CRAAAAAZY! No wires, no mess. Garmin, you had this coming. Then again, cycling was always an afterthought as avionics paid the bills and bonuses.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am thoroughly impressed with the wahoo unit. It offers seamless integration of trainingpeaks, strava, and ridewithgps. Just get the free ridewithgps account and anywhere you phone has mobile data you can synch it to the elemnt in seconds. No exporting of tcx into new rides folder then turning it off then on.

I just unboxed my Wahoo Bolt... and Garmin is screwed! It's only a matter of time.

I scanned the QR code on the device, got it on Wifi within seconds, updated system software. I then download the companion app and was up and running within minutes. No wires, no reboots. It's amazing how much more responsive, legible and in depth this is over those tired Garmin products. Maps preloaded, 313MB free data.... I can't wait to use this on a ride this evening. The text is so crisp, the display is very much like a kindle where the display is on the surface and not the usual LCD below a plastic coating. Everything I hated about the Garmin is not present on this unit.

Sometimes, throwing money at a situation does make it all better :)

View attachment 318904

and the companion iPhone apps is CRAAAAAZY! No wires, no mess. Garmin, you had this coming. Then again, cycling was always an afterthought as avionics paid the bills and bonuses.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yup, it's a terrific unit. Even with the early growing pains of the ELEMNT, I knew I had made the right decision.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Which garmins use wires? Mine always uploads automatically to garmin connect/strava through my cellphone (or wifi when I start and end at home) as soon as the ride is over.

Companion apps other than the dedicated garmin connect app will be the same for most devices (strava app, ride with gps app or map my ride app), so what is the difference there?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
I'm thinking once my E1000 goes kaput it'll be replaced by a Wahoo....probably whatever successor they have to the ELEMNT.

Was wanting to not have to buy a computer again and use a smartphone...but that is looking unrealistic in the visible future. None of the phones I want are waterproof, nvm battery life with screen on.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'll definitely be replacing my 520 with an Element. I really hate Garmin. Just that before nothing could really compete with it. No longer the case!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a Bolt and really like it.

My old computer was a Garmin 500, while it was not wireless it was also flawless. Did everything I wanted.

I don't get the "hate" thing.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which garmins use wires? Mine always uploads automatically to garmin connect/strava through my cellphone (or wifi when I start and end at home) as soon as the ride is over.

Companion apps other than the dedicated garmin connect app will be the same for most devices (strava app, ride with gps app or map my ride app), so what is the difference there?

The difference here is that I tried both and apparently you did not. Garmin is well known to release buggy software which lead to rides being eaten, rides not being saved, every time I pressed that end ride button... it was like 50/50 on whether it would save or crash. Yeah, no. Done with all that. Done with multiple bike profiles being eaten, done with "memory full" messages. Done with file export acrobatics. Believe it: Garmin "hate" is a real thing among legions of its dissatisfied followers. Pedalbiker put it well, there was no competition until now and Garmin got lazy.

I purchased the Bolt mainly because of the clarity and crispness of its screen, ease of data point manipulation on the fly, and the configurable LED "in range out of range" display. I am very impressed with the overall package. Come towards the light!! Two hundred fifty bucks, probably less as you'll be able to net out the sale of your used Garmin unit.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Just so everyone knows, the only difference between the Bolt and the Original Elemnt is the size the screen and fewer LED's on the Bolt.

The original Elemnt is a little heavier and larger, but it has a larger screen (and displays a few more fields) and is a little cheaper than the bolt ($50 I think). Otherwise they both have the exact same functionality.

I have both units (Original Elemnt and Bolt). I have relegated my Elemnt to trainer duty (it works *great* with my Smart Trainer), and have put the new aero Bolt mounts on all of my 'outside' bikes.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Just so everyone knows, the only difference between the Bolt and the Original Elemnt is the size the screen and fewer LED's on the Bolt.
Uhh, and it's all integrated and aero!?! Like, free watts, dude.

You just got a computer to tell you how much faster your computer makes you. Win/Win.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Eh, maybe a wahoo product will be the next computer I buy, but I haven't had any issues with either of the two garmins I've owned. I had a 500 and had no issues for several years. Updated to a 520 for the bluetooth connectivity and haven't had any issues with that either. I'm sure Wahoo is great but I really doubt they'll be putting Garmin out of business or anything.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
The difference here is that I tried both and apparently you did not. Garmin is well known to release buggy software which lead to rides being eaten, rides not being saved, every time I pressed that end ride button... it was like 50/50 on whether it would save or crash.
Yeah, the Element was flawless when it hit the market! :confused:

Personally I don't see getting passionate about a bike computer (love/hate) - it's a thing. If it does what you need then good. Both companies are good at creating new needs for people with digital addictions in a passionately connected world.

Reactions: bradkay
1 - 20 of 117 Posts