Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The experience wasn't bad at all! The padding on my shorts was sufficient for comfort. Out of the saddle climbing, the reduced weight measurably increased my bicycling pleasure. This was a one hour ride, but I don't see why I couldn't go all day.

·
Pitts Pilot
430 Posts
I picked up a Selle Italia SLR Teknologika Flow - mostly because it's stunningly gorgeous. Recently, I went on an all-out mission to find a super comfortable saddle. I tried nearly 10. I ended up back on my SLR. The difference between the standard SLR and the Teknologika is slim to none. I find it "comfortable" for 3 hours or so. What I now realize, is that asking any saddle to be truly comfortable for longer is unrealistic. My sofa doesn't do it, why should a quarter pound saddle?

I'm afraid that I cannot concur that its "reduced weight measurably increased my bicycling pleasure," But DAMN, does it look SWEET!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have been using the Aspide Composite for about 8 years in two bikes and I like it. I have the regular Aspide race and Aspide arrowhead on other bikes and I think the composite is better. heh.

·
Registered
728 Posts
The experience wasn't bad at all! The padding on my shorts was sufficient for comfort. Out of the saddle climbing, the reduced weight measurably increased my bicycling pleasure. This was a one hour ride, but I don't see why I couldn't go all day.
To me what you just said is like someone telling me how great their electric car is because they only drive for 40 miles at a time.
A one hour ride is not any kind of a test. Go and do a century (which is 100 miles, not 63 miles as some people here think) and then report back how sweet the saddle was.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm afraid that I cannot concur that its "reduced weight measurably increased my bicycling pleasure," But DAMN, does it look SWEET!
I have a bunch of 20% hills on my ride that I take out of the saddle. Knocking 150g off the seat was noticeable.

While it doesn't have padding, the carbon is flexy so big bumps are absorbed a bit.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I have a bunch of 20% hills on my ride that I take out of the saddle. Knocking 150g off the seat was noticeable.

While it doesn't have padding, the carbon is flexy so big bumps are absorbed a bit.
You notice 150 gr of weight reduction? Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good to hear as I have considered going that route. Would be interested to hear how you feel after longer rides (3hrs +) I know I have tried many saddles that have felt good for shorter rides and became unbearable as rides got longer. For me this happens rather abruptly! Currently riding toupe expert, a very light padding saddle and find longer rides are great but am curious if no padding might be better.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ive got the light Sella Italia SLR Carbonio (something around 125g) and it gives me no problems - if you like it after a ride of an hour or so, five hours isn't much different. Of course after five hours, you might be sore all over but your butt shouldn't be proportionally worse.

Usually one hour rides is where you find a saddle works or doesn't. Another lightweight saddle I like is the Fizik Arione CX Carbon at 159g. The longer profile allows you to shift positions for seated climbing vs fast pedaling on the flats

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
There's are misconceptions about saddle design. Padding (and especially "gel") is a bit over-prioritized. The idea of a soft saddle's superiority towards comfort period is misleading. Same goes with cutouts. I remember reading somewhere that Fizik didn't believe in cutouts despite releasing their Versus line. It's just a matter of shape really.

I have a Trigon bare saddle for nearly a year now. Longest ride was 5-6 hours. Perfectly fine to me. Nose was miles better than my Fizik Aliante and E3 Form. Rear provokes zero pains. Thing hardly deflects under me too.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You notice 150 gr of weight reduction? Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? :D
Only when I'm muscling my bike back and forth up a climb, and only because the saddle is at the top of the bike so it has the greatest moment in that scenario. The naysayers can naysay all they want, I don't care - climbing with a light bike is far more fun than with a heavy one.

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A one hour ride is not any kind of a test. Go and do a century (which is 100 miles, not 63 miles as some people here think) and then report back how sweet the saddle was.
My ass is only in shape for 1.5 hr rides so anything longer wouldn't be scientific now would it?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Only when I'm muscling my bike back and forth up a climb, and only because the saddle is at the top of the bike so it has the greatest moment in that scenario. The naysayers can naysay all they want, I don't care - climbing with a light bike is far more fun than with a heavy one.
just think of the possibilities of a pre-ride enema then. no need to post pics.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I'm just trying to make sense of how 150g is so significant weight to the healthy, capable human being that one has to "muscle" the bike.

brb, hittin' the 150g weights at the gym.

·
Registered
81 Posts
To me what you just said is like someone telling me how great their electric car is because they only drive for 40 miles at a time.
The vast majority of people ride under a metric the vast majority of their rides. So For most of us, a saddle that's comfy out to 60 miles or so would be perfectly fine.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I've done 5 hours 30 minutes (183 km / 113 mi) on my Selle SMP Full Carbon once. Soaking wet and cold race which left me empty. Damn fine saddle passed test. I rode in a skinsuit with a short distance chrono kind of pad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.