5,505 Posts
HOOKEM said:
On the rear brake cable guide. Do I need:
A. Tighter Shorts :p
B. To Internally route the brake cable :eek:
C. A new frame or bike? :cool:

Just Wondering
how the heck do you do that? :confused:
i would say tighter shorts, are you wearing baggies?
uh i dont think internal routing would really improve that since the only potential problem area i see would be in the area where the cable goes to the caliper, and even with internal routing it has to come out to get to the caliper.
a new frame or bike is always a good thing :p

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm throwing the bike to the left when I stand up to accelerate

estone2 said:
how the heck do you do that? :confused:
i would say tighter shorts, are you wearing baggies?
uh i dont think internal routing would really improve that since the only potential problem area i see would be in the area where the cable goes to the caliper, and even with internal routing it has to come out to get to the caliper.
a new frame or bike is always a good thing :p
Not wearing baggies, and not looking forward to drilling the frame to internalize the cable. Anyway, it is becoming annoying.

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
HOOKEM said:
Not wearing baggies, and not looking forward to drilling the frame to internalize the cable. Anyway, it is becoming annoying.
How about a picture of the bike as it's set up now. I'm having trouble visualizing the problem here. You really shouldn't be coming anywhere near the cable guide when riding the bike.

And don't drill anything to "internalize the cable". Internal rear brake cable routing is something that's incorporated into the design of a bike. If yours isn't internally routed then it's for a reason. Most frames aren't and I don't think that I've ever heard of this problem before.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
HOOKEM said:
I think I can visualize what you're doing, and all I can say is that you shouldn't throw the bike over so much, either when getting up or when hammering out of the saddle. It's OK to move the bike back and forth some, but there's a point of diminishing returns. I'd say you're well past that. Try to keep the bike a little more still under you, and/or get up all the way before you start throwing the bike side to side.

It seems like it would be pretty hard to hook your shorts on the guide at all, unless it's pretty far forward. I'd be inclined to look at this as a technique issue. There's no reason to bang the top tube off your thigh when riding.

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Insights

bikeboy389 said:
I think I can visualize what you're doing, and all I can say is that you shouldn't throw the bike over so much, either when getting up or when hammering out of the saddle. It's OK to move the bike back and forth some, but there's a point of diminishing returns. I'd say you're well past that. Try to keep the bike a little more still under you, and/or get up all the way before you start throwing the bike side to side.

It seems like it would be pretty hard to hook your shorts on the guide at all, unless it's pretty far forward. I'd be inclined to look at this as a technique issue. There's no reason to bang the top tube off your thigh when riding.
I'll try to post some pics, and begin thinking about technique, which now that I think of it may be the problem as it has only recently become and issue. Warrants more scrutiny which means more saddle time and I'm all for that. :)

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
HOOKEM said:
I'll try to post some pics, and begin thinking about technique, which now that I think of it may be the problem as it has only recently become and issue. Warrants more scrutiny which means more saddle time and I'm all for that. :)

I guess that's why your name is hookem... ;)
Maybe just put some tape over the "sharp" part of the guide.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
FatTireFred said:
I guess that's why your name is hookem... ;)
Maybe just put some tape over the "sharp" part of the guide.
rofl
hookem do you live in a hilly area?
one way to maybe solve this is that if you dont live in a hilly area, stay planted in your seat more.
if you do, maybe try to stay planted more, but your in trouble then...
hm pictures would be nice (as you said if i read right)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts