Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is mostly noticeable after a 1-1/2 - 2 hour ride. First noticed it yesterday so after today's ride I paid close attention, yep, blood in the urine and that can't be good? any ideas.

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Rondo said:
this is mostly noticeable after a 1-1/2 - 2 hour ride. First noticed it yesterday so after today's ride I paid close attention, yep, blood in the urine and that can't be good? any ideas.
I've got lots of ideas. None of them are good. Go to a doctor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know a guy who had that a number of years ago. Yes, go to the doc, one thing that I'll bet they'll tell you to do is to increase water consumption. Stu, the previous guy, had to consume 6 tall bottles of water a day. I believe the bottles were 1.5 liters each. I vividly remember the rubber bands that he had on it to help him keep count. I don't know how many days he had to do this for, but it cleared up what ever he had and life went on.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I get the same thing...

Rondo said:
but only after a hard, hard ride, or a race. It's noticeable only the first time I take a whizz after the hammerfest, and then it's gone.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
I've had this, and while it wasn't serious (they gave me some pills and it cleared up in a day or so), it did help uncover a serious kidney problem that I would not otherwise have known about for some time. So I'm kinda glad it came up--most likely you won't find anything like what I did, but it sure would be good to know, wouldn't it? Go see your doctor.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Go to the doctor

There are lots of different conditions that can cause blood in the urine. They can be related to the kidneys, ureters, bladder, urethra and other organs. Some are serious, and some are insignificant. There's no way to tell without medical tests. Go to the doctor.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I had this once and asked a doctor friend about it.

He was a urologist and also a running and tennis buddy. I called him in a panic and he told me if it wasn't pouring out I should drink a lot and wait a day or two before doing anything. His advice was that it happens most often when people are dehydrated and goes away in less than 72 hours. He was on the money. I was recovering from a stomach ailment that drained me real good and the blood stopped showing up after a day or two.

He also strongly emphasized that if it persisted or recurred I should make an appointment and take it very seriously. Since he was right about what it was, I'll assume he'd be right about what it wasn't.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone

I will go see a doctor, hate to but this is too important to ignore. The condition does go away after I urinate the first time, clears right up but stiil!
I am not dehydrated and a little scared.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Rondo said:
I will go see a doctor, hate to but this is too important to ignore. The condition does go away after I urinate the first time, clears right up but stiil!
I am not dehydrated and a little scared.
that's a weird attitude to have. the second i know something isn't right with me, i'm on the dr.'s doorstep. why wait?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Rondo said:
I was not able to get in next day, I have an appointment for Tuesday at 8.30 am and will hope for the best.:( Ron

I had this happen and I just thought I had a wierd reaction to a new sports drink (I was trying a sample) as my urine was brownish. Fast forward 4 days and I was doubled over in pain in abdomen, lower back, and testicle. I could hardly move. My pee was "clear" but every visit to the doc blood turned up in my urine at the microscopic level. I had a small kidney stone lodged but it took lots of doc visits, xrays, ct scans, and so on to find it. Not to mention painful epsiodes that would bring me to my knees for 3-4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
819 Posts
regan said:
that's a weird attitude to have. the second i know something isn't right with me, i'm on the dr.'s doorstep. why wait?
Now I think that's a wierd attitude to have. I haven't been to the doctor in about 5 years, and only three times in the last 10. Two of those were for car accidents where insurance made me go. One was for a flu I couldn't shake that, with what I know now, I probably would have skipped.

I take my kids, but they rarely seem to actually fix anything. Recently, some friends of ours had their kids get sick, took them in. They got medicine. My son had already started to get whatever it was, but the doctor told our friends that if they didn't get it in the first 24hours then to just let it ride. My son actually got back to 100% faster and seemed stronger afterward. Now, I am not taking any chances with my kids, but for me, I think the body needs to fight some stuff off to be stronger for next time. That, and I find lots of natural stuff that seems to get the job done just as well if not better.

Someday I will die from something that, if I had just gone to the doctor earlier, I could have suffered with for just a few months longer. I will be totally cool with that.

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
i'm the same way as you. i tend to ride out most stuff without seeing a doctor because i also feel that letting the body fight the stuff makes it stronger in the long run. however, i think that blood in the urine would be something that i would get checked out, assuming that it didn't go away in the first couple of days. hope all is well.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Running to the doctor for every little thing is pretty obsessive but not going for 5 years is equally obsessive in the other extreme. Depending on your age you should have regular check ups. Us over 50 folks should have them every year. Younger people don't need as frequent attention but every 2-3 years is advisable. Normal things like colds rarely need a doctors attention unless they persist.

This whole idea that "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger" is bull. The body does not get stronger from fighting infections, disease and injuries. It does get stronger through training, but illness and injury is not training.

·
Registered
819 Posts
First year doctors get sick all the time, then rarely again afterwards. First year teachers have the most sick days, but few afterwards. It does happen. The body does build immunities when allowed to fight off infection. Nothing is wrong with me, I feel fine. I am not going to run off and pay to be told the same. If I have cancer or something that I can't feel, well chances are it will kill me. People try to stay alive too long anyway. Life is great. I love it. After I die, I won't care so much.

Doctors do so little anyway. So much of what they do would happen anyways with time. I get tired of paying for my kids to go to the doctor just to be told they will have to wait it out. I shouldn't have to pay if they can't actually fix anything. Imagine bringing a plumber in, he tells you he can't fix the problem, then charges you full price anyway! What a crock. But people are so afraid of being sick or dieing they do it all the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.