Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My legs must have the torque of a diesel engine because in the past 4 months, I've broken the following items.

1. Popped my chain while starting from a stop on a hill. The chain was bent sideways and was FUBAR, so I had to call a buddy of mine to bring me home. The chain, a stock 9-speed Shimano, had about 2500 miles on it.

2. I was test-riding a Felt F-55 with a Truvativ Rouleur crank and while starting from a stop, with the chain in the big ring and the cassette at 23, I heard a snap, felt a lurch and looked down to see that the chainring had split at a rivet and was now a rotating sawblade, hellbent on extracting blood from my calf. Luckily, the I race for the LBS from whom the bike belonged to, so they just had a shitfit with Felt/Truvativ and gave me **** for being a machine.

3. Snapped my bottom bracket in my Redline CX while starting from a stop. I had just finished putting some mail into a mailbox and was getting ready to go for a recovery spin. As I stood up to accelerate away, I heard a clunk and found that I could spin both my pedals independent to one another. Rode the 3 miles home one-legged and then went out on my fixed-gear.

4. Now, for the kicker. I was getting ready to put in a solid 50 miler after work today. I loaded up with a 'naner, a Gu and fluids and headed out. I came to a stop at a busy road, saw a break in the traffic and proceeded to do power myself into a left turn. As I stood up, I heard another clunk and then almost fell as I struggled to gain control of a bike, headed into a grade at 5 MPH. Thank god that the oncoming traffic slowed for me, as I could have easily hit the tarmac if it weren't for me amazing skills. As I coasted to the road, I saw that the chain, a Sram 9-speeder, had broken at some random link. The kicker? I broke this chain at the EXACT same spot I had broken the chain in #1. What the ****?!?!?!

Now, barring the incident on the Felt F-55, all of these mechanicals have occured on my Redline Conquest which I use for road-racing, cyclocross racing, rain-riding, commuting, etc. Basically, the bike lives a hard life, but I keep it well-maintained. So far she has 6000 lifetime miles since I bought it last September and nothing has really broken on it until now.

But I'm not blaming the bike, nor am I blaming my supple thighs. I can't sprint for ****, as I'm definitely more of a climber. Sure, I can lay some power down, but that power is more pathetic than it is awe-inspiring.

I think I have **** luck. Howzithat?

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
Back in the early 90's I was riding my Peugot (sp?) mountain bike on some fairly tame single-track...tried to muscle up a mild grade and instead succeeded in FOLDING MY CHAINRING IN HALF! The top half of my granny gear just collapsed on itself (bent 90 degrees to the left) from the torque of my pedaling. I had to hammer it back flat (-ish) with a rock just so the cranks could make a complete revolution.

And then I had to ride the rest of the trail without my smallest chainring. Probably explains why I rarely go mountain biking anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.