Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of light gravel trails or bike path routes in NJ that offer a decent distance ride for a hybrid bike? I mainly road bike but I'd like to get some use out of my hybrid because it's a fun relaxed ride but it seems that a lot of the trails I know of are under 5 miles long...which is too short. Figured I'd give it a shot...TIA!:)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The Columbia Trail is nice. Maybe 10 miles from High Bridge to Middle Valley.

The Delaware Canal towpath, about 15 miles from Frenchtown to Lambertville.

The Raritan Canal Towpath, about 25 miles from New Brunswick to Trenton.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I did Hell of Hunterdon this year so I did a lot of gravel. If you go past 206 on Washington Valley Road you can find a lot of gravel.

Bunn
Larger Cross
River
Long Lane
McCann Mill
Hacklebarney/Pottersville Road

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nj biker...the first 3 you mentioned are really nice! I tried them before but my hybrid doesn't have suspension...its a trek 7.3 fx with 32's so it kinda had a rough time navigating the rocks haha.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Woahh you did bunn and larger cross roads etc on a road bike?! I can't even imagine...:eek:
I did use 28 mm tires. Most of the people used 25 mm. For the actual event, it was amazing how unprepared some people were. After the first dirt section there were water bottles all over the place after being shaken out. The best was someone appeared to lose a dozen bagels. Not sure who carries a dozen bagels on a ride but . . .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahaha...classic! That is too funny. I wouldn't dream of riding my road bike there... when I had the hybrid...I was riding along thinking...I'm immediately regretting this decision.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I did use 28 mm tires. Most of the people used 25 mm. For the actual event, it was amazing how unprepared some people were. After the first dirt section there were water bottles all over the place after being shaken out. The best was someone appeared to lose a dozen bagels. Not sure who carries a dozen bagels on a ride but . . .
I thought I was the only one who saw the bagels! Asked other people and they thought I was crazy.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Try it on a regular road bike. ;(

Then try it for 80 miles. The ride was very appropriately named.
Try it on a roadie with carbon tubs running 21s. No flats though.

And the bagel spot at the end of the bridge was....odd.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I think the road you are referring to is Spook Hollow.
No. Long. I think it is Long Lane. Basically the route we took was Burnt Mills to Bunn. Right on River. Left on Larger Cross. Left on Long. Take that to the end. Then go straight on Black River. First left on McCann Mill (iirc)(it has a one lane bridge at the start). Take that to the end and make a right past the Black River General Store. Left up Hacklebarney/Pottersville.

That was it for the dirt but not the climbs. :)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
OK, my bad. If you had turned right instead, Long Lane becomes Spook Hollow, which has a steep descent & climb. Just not sure why you said that Long Lane was the worst.

Reminds me of this helmet cam video I made a couple years ago. Long Lane starts at about 8:30 and continues for about 6 minutes. As you can see, Long Lane is straight as an arrow.
Bedminster Backroads - YouTube
A crappy video, I know, and you'll have to pardon my constant sniffling. But it gives a general idea what it's like to ride those roads on a road bike.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
OK, my bad. If you had turned right instead, Long Lane becomes Spook Hollow, which has a steep descent & climb. Just not sure why you said that Long Lane was the worst.

Reminds me of this helmet cam video I made a couple years ago. Long Lane starts at about 8:30 and continues for about 6 minutes. As you can see, Long Lane is straight as an arrow.
Bedminster Backroads - YouTube
A crappy video, I know, and you'll have to pardon my constant sniffling. But it gives a general idea what it's like to ride those roads on a road bike.
Some of that looks fun. Will have to try sometime, but right now I am enjoying the tarmac. ;)

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
No. Long. I think it is Long Lane. Basically the route we took was Burnt Mills to Bunn. Right on River. Left on Larger Cross. Left on Long. Take that to the end. Then go straight on Black River. First left on McCann Mill (iirc)(it has a one lane bridge at the start). Take that to the end and make a right past the Black River General Store. Left up Hacklebarney/Pottersville.

That was it for the dirt but not the climbs. :)
Instead of turning right to head towards Pottersville, turn left onto Fairmount, the make the right onto Pickle rd. Lots of (steep) climbing and even more dirt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.