Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an email to my teammates after the incident- I ride for Arizona State

Approximately at 5:30 this evening, I was riding my bike home from school- on
roosevelt. I was just passing Southern, and ready to take a left onto my street-
Malibu, and obviously had to come out and cross over to make the turn. Before I
could make the turn though, a silver chevy malibu hatchback who had honked at me
previously, carrying a hispanic women driving, hispanic male in the passenger
and a baby in a car seat in the back. The hispanic male rolled down his window,
grabbed my arm and tried to pull me off my bike, I then reacted with a closed
fist to his window leaving a streak mark of some kind. I obviously started
cursing feriously and followed the car, because obviuosly I was pissed and thats
assualt brotha!

I ended up at La Jolla and Kyrene, where the hispanic male leaped out of his
car, tackled me to the ground, dragged me in a headlock over to a neighbors
gravel yard, and repeatedley punched me closed fist in the back of the head and
face, and heel stomped my back, legs, and obliques.

Luckily many of my neighbors carry guns, and a few ran out with glocks,
shotguns, the usual. The couple sped away, but I was left on the ground bloody
and sore and painful as ever. Truly was the most frightening event in a while, I
was scared as hell, I didnt know if he had a gun or not?

I filed a police report, have the plate numbers, not letters, so cops are
working on trying to find him. Neighbors were able to get pretty detailed
descriptions of the guy, so hopefully he will be brought to justice. As far as
this weekend is concerned and riding, I've never had my ass kicked this badly
before, and Im pretty positive that my face which is now swollen and sore, will
be worse tomorrow.

A friendly reminder to all of us who ride on streets (even in this case where
its residential) that crazy people are everywhere, and you don't know if they
have guns, etc. Be Careful!

·
Registered
661 Posts
No winning

I think lots of us have had similar incidents, although maybe less intense. The point we all have to ask ourselves is whether it's worth it or not. When it comes to fighting with motorists and cars there is no winning - only degrees of losing. You may not lose your life, but you may end up losing friends (not literally), your temper, your self respect etc.
It's tough in the heat of battle to try to retain your composure and dignity but that, I'm afraid, is the only way to go. It's easy to be philosophical sitting at the keyboard but frankly it's not worth fighting with motorists because they drive badly, speed, or talk on their cell phones. It's just not worth it and I'm sorry to hear about yoer ordeal. Let is go, you will longer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I to live in Arizone and I know of what you speak of. I am sorry that there are many people out there that are just plain stupid and evil. Try to let it go and move on, it may sound corney but we are all with you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, Im not crying about it, obviously Im upset that the guy got to freely beat the crap out of me, then bolt. Trust me, Ive been in confrontations before, always verbal (as most of us I would think have), and as soon as they hear I have their license plate- they figure out doing anything their almost bound to get caught.

Last December, I was "Tboned" at an intersection, woke up in an ambulance, and later found out I had over 3k in damages to possesions and my bike- luckily the guy had insurance. I know first hand ordeals, and I think MOST people would agree with me that letting this go is absolutely foolish. I'm absolutely determined the police will find this guy, I got plate numbers, descriptions were given by neighbors. This all happened houses down from my exact address, can you imagine getting jumped just doors down from you house in your own neighborhood by an absolute stranger?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dom3333, it was more directed to gizzard, sorry i did not make that clear in the post- my bad.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
That's a tough one. I feel for you and hope the guy gets caught.

You must live in a rough neighborhood for it to be "the usual" for several neighbors to run out with Glocks and shot guns.

Heal fast. Go Sun Devils!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds like a truly awful experience. I believe that something like that can happen, and am not surprised at all. I would love to go off on a tirade about Hispanics and illegal immigrants, but that would be racist and stereotypical, and frankly, this is the kind of behavior I have come to learn to expect from the wealthy white suburbanites.

Anyway, I think it brings up an interesting question: Is the use of deadly force to protect yourself in such a harrowing experience called for? While this person might not have had a gun or knife, be obviously intended to seriously injure you, and from those injuries, could have been life-threatening circumstances.

My opinion is that I might see some court-time, but guys like this who would do something, as you described, probably have a problem functioning in society with their tendencies, and are asking to have their "flame put out".

Sorry, watched "Derailed" last night, and woke up with a death wish.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
See, just shows that you should have had your own gun with you. You could have emptied it into the car at the first sign of trouble.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Not at all. .

lampshade said:
You must live in a rough neighborhood for it to be "the usual" for several neighbors to run out with Glocks and shot guns.
I live in nice area and have an HK P7M8 9mm, three Sigs, and a bad-ass Benelli shotgun. You never know when something ugly is going to happen regardless of where you live. In fact, I've been bugged (not quite harassed) more times passing through upper class neighborhoods then middle class. I think rich people hate ANY inconvenience on what they perceive to be "their" roads:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
598 Posts
ashpelham said:
Anyway, I think it brings up an interesting question: Is the use of deadly force to protect yourself in such a harrowing experience called for? While this person might not have had a gun or knife, be obviously intended to seriously injure you, and from those injuries, could have been life-threatening circumstances
It all depends...you have to ask yourself, is this person attempting or causing me serious bodily injury or death? It this person much larger/stronger/skilled in fighting than you? Is there an avenue of escape? It goes to state of mind for the victim...there's no clear cut answer.

All I know is that the incident began when the guy tried to pull the OP off his bike in traffic. Totality of circumstances would leave me to believe that the guy intended to seriously harm the rider.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself if the consequences of using deadly force will outweight the potential criminal/civil liabilities that may result because believe me, you will be investigated, and most likely sued civilly.

Brooks K.

·
Banned
653 Posts
dom3333 said:
I to live in Arizone and I know of what you speak of. I am sorry that there are many people out there that are just plain stupid and evil. Try to let it go and move on, it may sound corney but we are all with you.

Did you know that from a rating recently, Arizona came out last in education standings.
If someone assults you, go for the jewels and be done with it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
tcpike said:
This is an email to my teammates after the incident- I ride for Arizona State

Approximately at 5:30 this evening, I was riding my bike home from school- on
roosevelt. I was just passing Southern, and ready to take a left onto my street-
Malibu, and obviously had to come out and cross over to make the turn. Before I
could make the turn though, a silver chevy malibu hatchback who had honked at me
previously, carrying a hispanic women driving, hispanic male in the passenger
and a baby in a car seat in the back. The hispanic male rolled down his window,
grabbed my arm and tried to pull me off my bike, I then reacted with a closed
fist to his window leaving a streak mark of some kind. I obviously started
cursing feriously and followed the car, because obviuosly I was pissed and thats
assualt brotha!

I ended up at La Jolla and Kyrene, where the hispanic male leaped out of his
car, tackled me to the ground, dragged me in a headlock over to a neighbors
gravel yard, and repeatedley punched me closed fist in the back of the head and
face, and heel stomped my back, legs, and obliques.

Luckily many of my neighbors carry guns, and a few ran out with glocks,
shotguns, the usual. The couple sped away, but I was left on the ground bloody
and sore and painful as ever. Truly was the most frightening event in a while, I
was scared as hell, I didnt know if he had a gun or not?

I filed a police report, have the plate numbers, not letters, so cops are
working on trying to find him. Neighbors were able to get pretty detailed
descriptions of the guy, so hopefully he will be brought to justice. As far as
this weekend is concerned and riding, I've never had my ass kicked this badly
before, and Im pretty positive that my face which is now swollen and sore, will
be worse tomorrow.

A friendly reminder to all of us who ride on streets (even in this case where
its residential) that crazy people are everywhere, and you don't know if they
have guns, etc. Be Careful!
while he was clearly in the wrong, you didn't help yourself by escalating the situation after he tried to grab you. people are stupid and you shouldn't give them an opportunity to prove that. ride away, when bad things start to happen. find a public place or intersection, and just let them be on their way...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
First, what a horrible incident. Good luck to you for a speedy recovery.
Just to follow up on gizzard's post, at this point I don't think any sane person would recommend that you "let it go" and not press charges. This punk needs a) jail time and b) heavy-duty therapy.

But I am curious why you decided to follow the guy in the first place. Like gizzard said, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard and second guess people, but based on my past experience, I would not have followed the dude. I would have gotten the guy's plate number and called 911.

Again, easy to second guess at this point. What a freaky story. Sorry it happened to you.

gizzard said:
I think lots of us have had similar incidents, although maybe less intense. The point we all have to ask ourselves is whether it's worth it or not. When it comes to fighting with motorists and cars there is no winning - only degrees of losing. You may not lose your life, but you may end up losing friends (not literally), your temper, your self respect etc.
It's tough in the heat of battle to try to retain your composure and dignity but that, I'm afraid, is the only way to go. It's easy to be philosophical sitting at the keyboard but frankly it's not worth fighting with motorists because they drive badly, speed, or talk on their cell phones. It's just not worth it and I'm sorry to hear about yoer ordeal. Let is go, you will longer.

·
Registered
635 Posts
bkranich said:
criminal/civil liabilities that may result because believe me, you will be investigated, and most likely sued civilly.

Brooks K.
let the cops and the da prosecute him, do their thing. Then regardless of how that turns out, get a decent lawyer and take him for all hes worth. Emotional damages, physical damages, property damages etc. etc. I'm not the type that advocates this sort of thing normally, i think our country is out of hand in terms of suing people, but in this case i think the guy is just rediculous, plus, u could end up with enough cash for a new bike or something.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
You described yourself as bloody.

Your body will show marks. Take some pictures before they go away.
You will end up in court and these might help.

Wow, I cannot believe that someone actually grabbed you as they were passing.
How messed up is that. I have been yelled out, honked at and things thrown at me (including a full bag of trash) and been run off the road but no one has grabbed me.
I think your response was reactive. I don't know if I would have followed though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bite the mofo.

What a screwed up deal. Next time that happens, bite the mofo. He gets a nice local infection and you have evidence (your toofmarks) that he is the mofo who assaulted you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In response to the question on cuts in relation to evidence in court; the police took digital photos of all my injuries when they arrived on the scene.

I do agree, it was not the smartest thing to follow the guy, the whole situation could have been prevented- I definately learned my lesson. I forget if this information was in the initial posting but the car did not reach over 15 mph, and they kept antogonizing me, talking ****, cussing back and forth between them and myself. My excuse is I'm a young college student who is fresh off playing 10 years competitive ice hockey, so ive always carried a pretty bad temper, and when this happened I flipped out.

Since turning to cycling though, I lost a considerable amount of upper body weight; overall weight in general. The guy that jumped out of the car, and initially grabbed me was much stronger, obviously because he kicked the **** out of me.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You are not dealing with very bright people. People driving at that time of day are going home from somewhere. They will be doing the same thing each day of the week. I bet he will drive through that same intersection on Monday evening at 5:30. I'd recommend you be there to get a picture and full description of the perp and the vehicle. I'd be tempted to follow him home so I could also provide an address to the police.

One thing that got my attention: if you followed him after the original threat...why did you end up so close to home. I suspect he lives in the neighborhood. He may not be your neighbor, but he could be close.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.