Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd make a comment about Tubulars vs. Clinchers. I ride both tires very often with racing and training. I race crits on E5 S-works bike with clinchers and RR on a Scott CR1 SL with Reynolds DV46t and Vittoria tubulars.
I also train occasionally on the Scott cuz if just fun...and fast. Anyway, after two seasons racing and the occasionally training on the tubies I had my first flat on the rear tire. Nail through it.
Going from clinchers to tubies I can't notice a huge different in weight, BUT I do feel and enjoy the ride quality of the tubies. Don't know exactly how to explain it, but they just feel better.

*Almost two complete seasons of racing and ONE flat. I think the price and "glue time" was well worth it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Tubulars

Gotta question the glue. I have only ridden on tubulars with tape. I use to only tape about every 4 inches of the rim with about a 4 inch long section of tape. I was cheep. I had one tire roll on me once and it never came off the rim. Scared the heck out of me though. I was flying around a corner and just thought how I would have looked if my bike came out from under me. The glue seems like over kill

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Questioning tape

Why would you question gluing when who used taped and admitted that it rolled on you? Glue doesn't take that long and isn't a mess if you understand what your doing and don't rush.

· Reality Star
930 Posts
Yesterday I glued my first set of tubulars. By myself and I got the instructions off the internet. It was no big deal. A little messy (wear a shop apron and gloves). I mounted a pair of cheap Continentals because they were easier to stretch over the rims. I have a pair of Conti Podiums that will be a biyotch to stretch. Makes me think that all the anti-tubular posts are from sissies. I'll post if I have any problems, like they roll off the rims on a corner, but they seem quite snug.

· Registered
8 Posts
Glue

Good point. After reading everything on glueing tires and the way the bike shop I've been dealing with hyped glue I just thought it was a way for them to make an extra buck. I think they wanted 10 bucks a tire to glue them on. I just installed my tires with tape because that's how I always did it. I'll see how it go's and update once in a while. Is anybody else using tape right now?

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I use tape, but unlike a previous poster, I use it all the way around the wheel. I've raced my ass off on taped tubulars and never had a problem.
The problem starts when you want to change tires- tires are difficult to remove, and it takes lots of picking & scrubbing with some noxious chemicals in order to get the rim totally clean again (though the tape manufacturer says that getting it totally clean between tapings is not actually necessary).

G

·
Once you go to remove/replace a tubular that was taped, any time you saved initially by taping instead of gluing is lost.

Changing a glued tire is really not that hard at all, and the wheel itself will require minimal prep. Taking that tape off you end up with way more mess than I have ever made with some mastik.

G

·
Oh, and riding tubulars is nice. I roll around on clinchers most of the time but everyone should log a few km's on Vittoria Pave's at some point, preferably in Belgium, but at least in the rain so you can pretend.

· Registered
92 Posts
ive got a question about tubs, with clinchers you can rip the tires of and replace tubes very quickly if you flat in a race, with tubulars i cant see how you can do this quickly and safely in a race, maybe you tubby guys can teach me ;)

I still cant see the benefit over clinchers that tubs have, specially when weight diff. is near enough to zero,

· Registered
23 Posts
Training

I understand the tubular benefits and I'm seriously considering a tubie wheelset (Still trying to decide which one :rolleyes: ).

My question is, do you guys ride with another tire if you race/train on your tubies? Where do you put it? It seems a little bulky to carry along.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haridic said:
ive got a question about tubs, with clinchers you can rip the tires of and replace tubes very quickly if you flat in a race, with tubulars i cant see how you can do this quickly and safely in a race, maybe you tubby guys can teach me ;)

I still cant see the benefit over clinchers that tubs have, specially when weight diff. is near enough to zero,

What clinchers have you found that equal the weight of a carbon tubbie? Reynolds dv46ul 1200g, Lew 900g, reynolds KOM 1062g, Bontrager xxx-lite 1175g etc, etc, etc.

Plus, when you race and you get a flat on a clincher or tub, your race is generally over...if your doing a Road Race. Crits wouldn't really matter with the free lap rule or wheel support.

· Registered
431 Posts
Haridic said:

Here's a tangible benefit from my experience two weeks ago. Had a front flat with 3k left in a 40k TT; was still able to manage 20mph on my Conti Competition (and no rim or tire damage) and finish.

Besides recording a finish, saved me a lot of walking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.