Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my previous thread, I am told that we are doing a reno on the master bathroom.

Now, this is not trying to turn the master bathroom into the Taj Mahal. We are installing a new tub and shower, new toilet and sinks, new vanity and re-doing the floor.

The entire room is 120 sq ft.

We have not selected any "high end" product to go in. All of the plumbing fixtures add up to $1,600.

So the "designer" and her contractor husband show up today to present their quote for the work.

$29,000.

I just about fell off my chair. Then I started getting angry.

He had nothing broken down into separate line items - just a grand total.

Kept telling us we had "expensive tastes" - a $600 bathtub is an expensive taste??

Told me the fixtures add up to $4700. I have quotes saying $1600. Ba$tard.

Tried to make a big deal about how hard it was going to be to take the pocket door and out the new one in. I told him I could do it in 30 mins or less - but it seems in his view that is too complicated ......

And on it went.

$5700 for floor tile. For 120 sq ft.

Clearly he will not be getting another phone call from us. I wonder if he has been told there is a recession on, and reno contractors are ankle deep and looking for work.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
reno?! i thought you won the jackpot or sumthin"

Frist!

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,063 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Well,

Export A lives not very far from me, also in the GWN , so ...............
true..and I have never been oot an aboot.

and I never hang out in the barrrr.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
toomanybikes said:
Well,

Export A lives not very far from me, also in the GWN , so ...............
I haven't heard him speak funny yet.... you I've heard.

Even a Lounger would guess that Export A has to be from the GWN, hey?

Remember, I grew up just North of Canada, in Detroit, I know your kind.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
TMB if you are appalled by the price of a bathroom reno....do NOT, I repeat do NOT consider doing a kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the two most expensive rooms in a house. Reason being......you can't get along without EITHER

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
zmudshark said:
Have you seen them drive?
yes...............................................one word OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

only one worserer......OHIO.....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I wonder if he has been told there is a recession on, and reno contractors are KNEE deep and looking for work.
fixed it for you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Touch0Gray said:
TMB if you are appalled by the price of a bathroom reno....do NOT, I repeat do NOT consider doing a kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the two most expensive rooms in a house. Reason being......you can't get along without EITHER
If this was the price quoted for a kitchen, I could understand it.

Lots of cabinets, lots of electrical, lots of gas lines, etc .........

for a bathroom where no water or sewer lines are being moved, basically tiling the floor and putting new fixtures in....

Beyond the bounds of reason.

I guess I shouldn't have left the Rolls parked in the driveway when they were here one day!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Those people flat crack me up.

What's that, about $240 a square foot for a REMODEL? Could you keep a straight face?
This is why we kept the fixtures, except for a low-flow toilet, when we did our bathroom. It's less than 100sf, and all I really wanted was tile on the walls to replace old drywall and a plastic tub kit. My wife thought it would be nice to move fixtures around (the door hits the end of the tub). That jacked the price from less than $750 I could do myself over a weekend to $8,000, "several days" and "you really should have a designer help you with this. I can recommend somebody..." The designer came out and said her bill for telling us to rotate the tub 90 degrees and run it along the adjacent wall (the only possible solution if we wanted to keep a tub) would be $2000. I told everybody No, thanks.
The door still hits the end of the tub, but if it bothers me I'll tape a bundle of $20 bills to the spot.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
toomanybikes said:
He had nothing broken down into separate line items - just a grand total.
Someone shows me a bid like that, I'll just say they are wasting my time and bid them good day.

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a tad over $240 a foot.

Costs less for new construction.

The upside in all of this is that in the last week my group has been appointed Receiver on 3 multi unit projects, we are in court tomorrow on another and Thursday on yet another.

All I need to do is scan the creditors list on the projects, gives me a very wide field to choose from for trades to do some work - coincidentally, trades that are going to be looking for work.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
toomanybikes said:
If this was the price quoted for a kitchen, I could understand it.

Lots of cabinets, lots of electrical, lots of gas lines, etc .........

for a bathroom where no water or sewer lines are being moved, basically tiling the floor and putting new fixtures in....

Beyond the bounds of reason.

I guess I shouldn't have left the Rolls parked in the driveway when they were here one day!
so you think 47.50 a sq foot for tile on the floor is exorbitant?

29 grand for a bathroom with no plumbing modifications means one and only one thing, the contractor doesn't want the job!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dr hoo said:
Someone shows me a bid like that, I'll just say they are wasting my time and bid them good day.

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Well, I deal with this stuff all the time and in the office, if I get a quote like that, it hits the shred pile.

I kept getting angrier as the guy talked, he tried to ignore Mrs. TMB and just keep talking and I kept angrier.

At a point in the whole thing I looked at him and asked him if he was deaf. Completely missed it.

I pointed out to him that there were 3 unanswered questions on the table from Mrs. TMB and unless he answered them we were done.

He kept talking.

I asked them to leave.

Mrs. TMB is happy with me :D

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Btw.....30 grand for a new toilet, sink and tub on new floor tile make a custom bike look dirt cheap huh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Touch0Gray said:
Btw.....30 grand for a new toilet, sink and tub on new floor tile make a custom bike look dirt cheap huh?

Hell man, it makes a Sachs look cheap!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.