Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old set of Ksyriums that I sold on e-bay. Got a good price for them. Long story short, they were returned because the rear wheel had a hairline crack that I did not see. I thought that I wa out the $$ and had a useless set of wheels. I stopped by World Cup ski & bike just to ask if I had any options. "Oh sure, they're rebuildable. It'll cost about $125." Wow! Now I 'll have my K's back and all for quite a bit less than a new wheelset :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
a few ?'s(I'm not familiar with the Kysrium's or any wheel newer than 15 years old other than seeing some at the LBS).

was it cracked in the rim(my guess)? or the hub?

why wouldn't you think its rebuildable?

have the modern wheels gotten to the point where if the hub or rim is cracked/has problems you can't replace the other? i would hope not.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Kram59 said:
I have an old set of Ksyriums that I sold on e-bay. Got a good price for them. Long story short, they were returned because the rear wheel had a hairline crack that I did not see. I thought that I wa out the $$ and had a useless set of wheels. I stopped by World Cup ski & bike just to ask if I had any options. "Oh sure, they're rebuildable. It'll cost about $125." Wow! Now I 'll have my K's back and all for quite a bit less than a new wheelset :D
Ain't a quality LBS nice? When the drive side flange on my rear Bontrager Race X Lite disintegrated....as they seem prone to doing.....my LBS, Fairwheel Bikes, pulled a brand new Race X Lite off one of their bikes and let me use that for the two weeks it took Trek to send me a replacement. Good Joes they are.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It cracked at the rim near where the spoke is inserted into the rim (Ksyrium's don't have traditional eyelets). I wasn't sure if it was rebuildable and if so, how much it would cost, since K's go for about $1k these days. Some "modern" wheelsets aren't easily rebuildable. Best part of the whole thing is that the wrenches at my lbs can do it without it being sent to gawd knows where to have it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
have the modern wheels gotten to the point where if the hub or rim is cracked/has problems you can't replace the other? i would hope not.
No, but very often the cost of parts and labour make it uneconomical.

Friend of mine has a pair of neutrons, the rear of which needs respoking. Even at cost it's not worth it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Same thing happened to me...

alienator said:
Ain't a quality LBS nice? When the drive side flange on my rear Bontrager Race X Lite disintegrated....as they seem prone to doing.....my LBS, Fairwheel Bikes, pulled a brand new Race X Lite off one of their bikes and let me use that for the two weeks it took Trek to send me a replacement. Good Joes they are.
I also had a flange break off on me on an old pair of race x lites, but I can't complain about the wheel itself, before that happened, it had about 10k on it, and a couple of years of use. Anyway, my shop also took a brand new one off of the wall, gave it to me and just let me keep that, and when they got the new one in, they just replaced the one they pulled off the wall. Good blokes I say.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
thanks for answering my ?'s. I can understand your happiness. For such an $$ set of wheels I'd think the rim alone would be $125, not including labor. Maybe they got the rim warrantied and the $125 is labor?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Kram59 said:
It cracked at the rim near where the spoke is inserted into the rim (Ksyrium's don't have traditional eyelets). I wasn't sure if it was rebuildable and if so, how much it would cost, since K's go for about $1k these days. Some "modern" wheelsets aren't easily rebuildable. Best part of the whole thing is that the wrenches at my lbs can do it without it being sent to gawd knows where to have it done.
That's a classic failure for these rims. You got a great price, mine was $200+ for the rebuild and they had to be sent away to the factory for almost 2 months.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only paid about $450 for the over 6 yrs ago. That's less than $100 a yr on wheels and they've NEVER been trued. I wouldn't (and couldn't )afford them now. As for the estimation of the cost breakdown, it is $25 labor (for the rebuild) + approx $100 for the parts, not including my 10% discount on parts for being a club member. Things here in central PA tend to be a bit cheaper than a lot of places.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
Classic failure? $1000 wheels? What the @*&^#!!!
Yeah K's have this rep for being bomb proof but repairing cracked rims (at least on the older models) has become something of a second industry. I know three people that have had cracked rims with the K's. Always the same story, cracks around the nipple like it's pulling out of the rim. My LBS guy sends a number of these off a year apparently.

Mine happened after 3 years extensive use on the crap streets of NYC so I can't really complain. The rims never ever went out of true even with the cracks on 2 nipples.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same with me, except it was PA backroads, which prolly aren't much better. I had it 'splained to me tha it is because they are basically a "no-flex wheel" in that they don't give like an Open pro or similar. Metal can only take so much abuse before something gives and a spot where there is a hole drilled into it is a good place to do it. Mine lasted the better part of 6 yrs (last 2 yrs on my commuter=terrible roads). All in all, I can't complain. I just had the free-hub rebuilt so I've essentially got a new rear K for about $200. I'll take it.
 

·
Alien Musician
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
If they've worked flawlessly for six years then the price of maintenance is
not that bad really - and after the rebuild they'll likely last at least as long
and probably longer if you don't jump potholes or the like.

Thanks for the post - I guess I would have assumed they would have been
lunch (meaning eaten for lunch). Now I know better.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top