Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· What the Hell is going on
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking to get a new fixed geared bike and . . . Viola . . . Schwinn is re-introduction the Madison. Scwheet Scwhinn.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Cycling News has a blurb about it in their tech news.

It's cool and all but I can't help but feel the same way towards this as I can any of the new Motos or other hijacked brands. Now if Gunnar came out with an inexpensive track frame with geo and tubing like the original Madisons, that would freakin rock.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
hijacked as in schwinn aint really schwinn anymore. sold to pacific (i think). they still make good quality bikes if you stay away from the ones they stock in walmart and target.

gunnar/waterford are considered what's left of the original schwinn, from what i know.

all that aside, i do like the new madison. it may be speced low and hopping on the bandwagon, but finally a STEEL fixie at a resonable msrp (wish it were still cheaper). and the 80's paint scheme has me thinking of when i was purchasing my first REAL bike back in 1986. saved all my paper route money. do i go schwinn, raleigh, or that new trek company. i went with a stars-and-stripes raleigh team USA from the 84 olympic line. wish i still had that bike, it would make a sweet fixie, but i'm certain the guy i gave it to needed it more than me.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Yeah like weltyed says Schwinn the brand is owned by Pacific Bicycle and they churn out both department store crap and some generic mid range road frames. The road stuff isn't bad by any means it just isn't the same Schwinn.

Richard Schwinn now owns/operates Waterford Cycles and a recreational/slightly less bling Gunnar Bicycles. Gunnar makes a street fix with street geo but if they made an updated Madison-like frame it would be the true descendent to the Schwinn allure.

That said that Schwinn has a pretty good part spec for the price point. Those Formula hubs are the best deal going for an inexpensive fixed hub that will last a long time and stand up to abuse.

· What the Hell is going on
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's the rub

asterisk said:
Now if Gunnar came out with an inexpensive track frame with geo and tubing like the original Madisons, that would freakin rock.
The MSRP for the Schwinn Madison is $529. That's pretty inexpensive for a complete fixed steel bike. Granted, it's not as versitile as other fixies (looks like there's no room for fenders, etc) but it's just a fine machine nonetheless.

Gunnar has jumped on the bandwagon too with their "Streetdog" http://www.gunnarbikes.com/streetdog.php

I couldn't find a MSRP. But I bet it's nowhere near $529.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
No, that was my point... the Madison was a track machine and I just wish Gunnar would make a super fly track frame.

And I agree, the new Madison is a nice package but there's not a lot of difference between it and the Raleigh Rush Hour, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Track, KHS Flite 100, etcetc... it does come with two brakes and both a freewheel and a cog according to the news item which most don't include all straight from the box.

The return to the old logo kicks ass too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.