Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
Do a search here and you'll find a few. I've seen some pics up at the fixedgeargallery too.

Hard to go wrong with orange. And folks say--no firsthand knowledge here--that the frames are built by Waterford/Gunnar (albeit from less expensive pipes than the Waterfords and Gunnars).

· RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Yup, a nice frame isn't it? I'm expecting my frameset anyday now and will post pics once I receive it. There are a few of them on rbr, but more @fixedgeargellery.com, like djg said. Just do a search for "Milwaukee". It is definitely true that the frames are build by Waterford. I've seen it in writing and talked to Russell & Jim @Ben's Cycle. True about less expensive pipes but True Temper Verus HT (Heat Treated) is still really nice stuff, worthy of my $500 (+$20 to get my frameset w/o top tube cable guides).

· RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Here's the quote, and the actual article:

"Milwaukee Cycle frames are hand-built in southeast Wisconsin by Waterford Precision Cycles."

https://www2.jsonline.com/bym/news/dec04/288789.asp

I haven't decided on the exact build yet but have a few things in mind, including using silver components (rather than black) and installing a royal blue or silver CK headset. I already have a used, silver Thomson seatpost, too. I'm considering making it a real 'townie/cruiser/grocery getter' bike. If I go that route the build might include mustache bars, a Brooks saddle & bar tape, and 28C gumwall tires (Rolly Poly or Ruffy Tuffy). Alternatively, if I go the more common 'track/roadie' route, the build will include track drop bars, a like new black/royal blue Fizik Airone saddle I have laying around, royal blue bar tape on the drops (maybe tops too?), and Conti Grand Prix 4-season 23C tires I have laying around. Not sure about anything else at this point - I'm thinking a Sugino crank and like the looks of this one since it has that retro crown logo:

https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/images/QB3.jpg

The only problem - it's made for a multi chainring setup. Either Formula or Suly fixed/fixed silver high-flange hubs (yeah, Phil's would be nice but I'm not sure the bike is completely 'Phil' worthy) and possibly Velocity Fusion rims.

Feel free to comment on what you think of these possible builds.

Oh, and I have to give credit to 'Fixintogo'. His Steamroller inspired me to consider build option #1, above:

https://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/jan/ThomasWatterson.htm

Thanks,

· RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
** UPDATE **

For better or for worse, Orange Ones are no longer powder coated. Here's a reply from Jim @BensCycle when I inquired if my frameset has shipped yet:

Thanks for the email. The Bike will be ready for shipping on Wednesday. We are Switching from Powder coating to paint . Your Bike will be the first with High quality Paint work. The powder Coating company decided it was best for them to discountinue doing our frames. There over head on the frames was getting to be to much. Thanks again Jim

· Registered
167 Posts
That sucks. If powdercoat costs too much, I assure you the paint job is going to be CRAP. Also, I *highly* doubt that the powdercoat company said that they don't want to do frames anymore due to THEIR over-head expenses. It was more likely that they told Bens that they were raising their prices, and Bens doesn't want the extra expense.
I wonder if you can get the frame unpainted ? A local powdercoat shop should be able to do a stripped frame for you for under $100.

· RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Steve-H said:
It was more likely that they told Bens that they were raising their prices, and Bens doesn't want the extra expense.
I'm sure!

I wonder if you can get the frame unpainted ? A local powdercoat shop should be able to do a stripped frame for you for under $100.]
Hmm...that's a thought but I'm not sure Ben's would be willing to drop the price $100.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
My local powder coater has done three frames for me. $50 a pop, including fork for one color with minimal masking required. They charged an extra $10 for one frame because it had seat and chain stays that were partially chrome and required more picky masking (double masking for stripping and coating). If you can get a bare frame they wouldn't even need to strip so it might cost even less. I'd definitely check to see how much less a bare frame would cost and how much a local powder coater would charge. My coater does mostly farm machinery, industrial parts, race car frames and motorcycle frames. Orange is a pretty common and popular color for their customers so you might be able to sneak it in with a batch of other parts for even less. Even if the total cost was slightly more I'd consider paying it because powder coat would probably be better than their paint.

· Registered
167 Posts
michaeln said:
The powdercoat on my Milwaukee's frame isn't all that great. Orangepeely in lots of places, like it didn't flow right. It seems relatively tough though.
Hehe, I assure you its better than cheap paint orange peel :D
I suppose Im passing judgement on an item that I haven't seen yet. However, all thing being equal, PC is still tougher than their paints Im sure.
Worse comes to worse, order the bike with the top tube eyelets and avoid the $20 charge. When you strip the frame, you can remove these, and put $20 towards your powdercoat :thumbsup:

· Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
tamu said:
i would complain some.. i duno.. maybe ask for some refund.. when you ordered it it was supposed to be powder coated, they cant just give you a painted frame and say too bad.. :(
Ben's seems to feel free to deviate from what they spec out on their website for this bike and what they ship at any time, without mentioning it. At least they told him.

· RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
My email to them:
Jim,

As you might imagine, I'm not too happy with the way things are materializing. On 4/13/06, when I put my $200 deposit down, you said the frameset would ship in ten (10) days. Including ONLY business days (M-F), that would have been on 4/27/06. Today is 5/19/06 and not only has the frameset not been shipped yet but you inform me that it will no longer be powder-coated?! Part of the reason I chose the Orange One, over some of it's competitors, was because of the more durable, 'eco-friendly', powder coat finish. I now have my doubts, obviously, that my frameset never even was sent to the powder coater. Would you be able to send me the frameset unpainted? If so, for how much less money? Reason I ask - if it's worthwhile, I may have the frame powder coated locally myself. Alternatively, would you be willing to reduce the original $520 price tag since I'm not actually getting what I ordered?

Thank you,

-Jeff
Just some background...he said the shipping of the frameset was delayed b/c he was waiting to get it back from the powder coater...thus my comment re: having doubts that it even went to them in the first place.

· Registered
5 Posts
giant pause

Man, this is really fueling all the anxiety I am having about an internet purchase of something as personal as a bike build (and it is personal, not just the sum of some tubes and nuts). I have had three long discussions with folks at Ben's, but just couldn't "pull the trigger" until the 59cm frame I needed was welded, painted, done. Now I know why. Maybe I'll like the paint or maybe I'll just keep talking with the good folks at my LBS, no shortage of them in the Bay Area. The orange IRO Angus, the red IRO Rob Roy, are both decent frames and can be built up for about the same $$, while I watch and even modify as needed. Anxiety, who needs it!

· RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
I hear ya'. However, just to give Ben's some credit - they are/were out of stock on 56 & 59cm frames only...so if you wanted an alternate size you would probably be all set (and it would be powder coated, too).

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.