Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, MUTs seem to get dissed all the time, but if approached correctly they're great.

My commute is a bit over 17 miles each way and a little over 10 miles is on a MUT. IT keeps me off the highway that has 50 mph speed limit and let's me avoid some nasty traffic areas. It's peaceful, parts of it are along a major salmon spawning river here in the PNW. On a typical morning I see about 5 pedestrians and a few other bicyclists. This morning there were more bicycles than normal, I think I counted 5 of them. I have an early commute (out the door at 6AM) which definitely affects the trail traffic. The evening (6 PMish) is a bit heavier and there are a few places that I have to slow down to the posted 15mph limit. Before the trail was built there were times when I really feared being hit in rushhour traffic, but not now. The MUT has improved my commute immensely.

In the short days of winter when I don't commute (wet-weather weenie that I am), there is another MUT right outside my work. I can go for a night ride of 35 miles out 'n back and not be on the road at all, which I consider a big plus.

You'll never catch me ranting at MUTs!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have my complaints about them, but the one thing that I truly like about them is that many are built in wooded areas. This means shade, which makes riding a little more enjoyable on these really hot days of summer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would never consider going on an actual ride on a MUT (excluding winter nightime rides to avoid cars altogether). A century on a MUT??? Sorry but that just sounds stupid to me! The MUT takes me towards/through congested areas; when I go for a "ride," I go towards the countryside and open space.

·
Formerly known as gotj
105 Posts
Commuting

I use an MUT for commuting and love it. But when I ride on the weekends, it's typically on roads in more sparsely populated/traveled areas.

The commuting MUT makes life much more pleasant, esp. w/Boston drivers and narrow streets.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Minneapolis / St. Paul has some of the longest MUT trails in the country.

The Cedar Lake / Kenilworth / Greenway trail system is all linked together
and is called Minnesota's "Bike Highway".

There's literally segments for riders and fast traffic, and adjacent segments
for walkers/hikers. It's all adjacent to an active rail corridor so you might see,
cyclists / rollerbladers / walkers / runners / hikers and trains.

I used to use that to commute downtown to my old job there and it was great.

At 5 in the morning as I was heading in inbound you could see outbound
third shift cyclists headlights twinkling like little stars from five to six miles
away.

Towards fall I would see (or hear) more rabbits at trailside than other cyclists
or pedestrians. I'd see no more than 2 or 3 in the morning and in the afternoon
it was a bit more active owing to it being daylight.

Scot Gore has posted a cool picture of part of this trail here before....it really
gives you an idea of what could be in other cities if they planned a bit more.

St. Paul has the 18+ mile Gateway trail that goes from downtown St. Paul
thru Maplewood, White Bear Lake and gradually terminates at Pine Point
Park just outside of Stillwater. I've ridden to Stillwater before using that
trail and it's great for the most part. It's nice because it goes from an
urban setting to a pastoral country setting in pretty short order.

So yes, MUTs can be fun for riding depending on which ones and when
you ride them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.