Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m generally bigger than what is available in off the rack sizes for road bikes and ended up getting a custom Moots. Now I want to get a cyclocross bike. What companies companies would you be looking at for custom frames?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Can you tell us a bit more? What are you going to be using it for? Are you too tall for a 60 or 62 frame?

You could make it really simple, Moots makes a cross bike.

Other than that, there are tons of custom shops that make cross bikes. What material are you looking at?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be too tall. I"m not sure. I was JUST barely taller than all of the trek and big manufacturers off the rack stuff for my road bike. I"m definitely going to get fit

Right now I'm thinking that most of the riding is going to be rails to trails type stuff, but I might get into racing some day. I'm not sure about that right now. I'm actually into triathlon at the moment, but it wouldn't be out of the question for me to try a cross race.

I"m 225 lbs, so I'm not that concerned about weight. Obviously i don't want a 40 lbs. bike, but I don't necessarily need the lightest thing either. I"m more interested in the bike being able to withstand my weight, not have too much flex, and be comfortable. I'm not that into carbon.

The road bike that i had before my moots was a steel tomassini and i had problems with a shimmy at speed. That is some scary stuff if you haven't experienced it on a high speed turn. Anyway..... long story short..... i'm not opposed to spending a bit of coin on a frame if i feel safe, but I'm not necessarily looking to buy another moots. I just want to avoid problems. Never once when i have mounted my moots have i regretted spending the money. Just thinking about that bike makes me happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lynskey

Give them a shot. Ignore the prices on the website. If you work directly with one of their sales reps, you likely can get a very good deal on a custom geometry frame.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
You don't need a cross bike for rails to trails. Single track and fire roads? Much more applicable. Racing cross? Yes. Paved or hardpack or fine gravel rail trails. No. Just use your Moots.

·
Heartless B*tch
231 Posts
maybe this will help

My bf (MADMAXB), is 6 ft 7, about 200 lb, and very, very long legged. He rides a Giant Defy Advanced 2 and a Trek Soho S. The Giant is a size XL, and the Soho is a Large, as that is the biggest frame they offer in that bike and they both fit him perfectly. He has experimented with various saddles, and likes Selle Italia SLK and SLR Gel.:thumbsup:

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
well, Ryan Trebon is around 6'6" and rides a stock Kona frame.

his height didn't require any custom frame work, and he managed to win a national championship on it.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
where do you live?

find the closest custom builder
have tem fit you

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JustTooBig said:
well, Ryan Trebon is around 6'6" and rides a stock Kona frame.

his height didn't require any custom frame work, and he managed to win a national championship on it.
Wow. Attitude much? please note the seat to bars height. If i tried that i'd be broken.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jen_I_Am said:
My bf (MADMAXB), is 6 ft 7, about 200 lb, and very, very long legged. He rides a Giant Defy Advanced 2 and a Trek Soho S. The Giant is a size XL, and the Soho is a Large, as that is the biggest frame they offer in that bike and they both fit him perfectly. He has experimented with various saddles, and likes Selle Italia SLK and SLR Gel.:thumbsup:
Thanks! I"ll look into those.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There are tons of options. Here are a couple off the top of my head. I'd be happy to own a bike made by any of these guys: Carl Strong, Dave Kirk, Rock Lobster, Signal Cycles, Steve Garro, Rick Hunter, Sycip, DeSalvo, Ira Ryan, Waterford, Zancanato Cycles, Circle A, Hot Tubes, IF, Geekhouse, etc etc etc

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
czeqm8 said:
Wow. Attitude much? please note the seat to bars height. If i tried that i'd be broken.
attitude? Just posted a pic of Trebon's bike. Time to unbunch the panties.

yes, I took note of the bar-to-saddle differential. If bar drop is an issue for you, you may want to consider working on flexibility. I weigh more than you do (and I can virtually guarantee I've got a bigger belly!) but have no problem on road and CX bikes with a healthy saddle-to-bar drop. Trebon's drop is huge, but drops of 5-10cm are doable even for big guys.

You describe yourself as "giant", but have not quantified that. Height and leg length can be limitations on fitting stock bikes. Trebon's pedal axle-to-saddle measurement is 39", as is mine, despite the fact that I'm shorter than he is. Yet we're both capable of riding stock bikes. There are many reputable custom builders out there who build amazing bikes. I have one myself and love it. But unless you're WAY off the top of the height/leg length charts, don't automatically assume that custom is your only choice.

You stated that your height appears to have precluded you from most of the manufacturer's bikes -- have you actually had the opportunity to RIDE any of their biggest frames?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Treefarm also has a huge wingspan, even for his size. The guy is all legs and arms. That is one of the reasons his drop is what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you're interested in an off-the-shelf frame, have a look at the Alan standard (not compact) sizes. They have the biggest off-the-shelf frames I could find other than Calfee (and the Calfee geometry is weird).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts