Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
Whatever. They're riding. Being physically healthier. Not bothering me.
I lack the ability to hate.
btw. First

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never mind more people on da bike. But neuvo-riche East Side of NYC types with one eye on the road and another in the mirror admiring their shaved legs and Sidis?

Bleech. Stick to sports cars, you poseurs.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great place to pick up very lightly used bikes at a third of msrp in my experience. Plus, all that high end bike money drives r & d for the companies and spreads out the cost of each frame. No hate here at all.

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
Methinks RKFast was dropped on a nuevorichposeursonly group ride.

It's okay, I got dropped by a bunch of 65 year olds once.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
These guys seem to be taking it pretty seriously. The more power to them. I just wish I had that disposable income.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Middle aged men dropping lots of money on a bike (like 5-10k) is one of the big reasons the LBS i work for is still in business. We have "display bikes" on stub walls- one of them is a colnago eps w/ super record 11- it's pricetag is just over $11k. it's already been sold.

one better: one middle aged guy, in the white collar workforce has friends with similar pocketbooks. word-of mouth advertizing is gold.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it- they're also incredibly nice guys and come in frequently, even if it's just to say "hi". We've also watched quite a few of these guys drop some serious weight just becuase they threw a great gob of money at a bike.

people on bikes = good. yes, even the omnipresent hipster kids :D

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
NUTT said:
Methinks RKFast was dropped on a nuevorichposeursonly group ride.

It's okay, I got dropped by a bunch of 65 year olds once.
don't ever get into masters swimming then. I was at a meet one time, in great shape as a (fresh off of a college swimming season) and got my azz handed to me by a 45 year old guy w/ a beer gut in one of the harder events you can swim (400IM)

...and dont get me started on triathlons- the 40-45 and 45-50's will eat you alive, even if you're a NCAA div 1 swimmer w/ excelent biking/running ability.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Don't forget the omnipresent hipster kids parents are the ones dropping big coin on the bikes! For themselves and the hipster kids in that neighborhood!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Pretty sure I made it around Central Park in 20 minutes on one of those coaster-brake clunkers they rent along with a buddy of mine who doesn't ride.. Doing it in 15 on a Cervelo? meh.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
rward325 said:
Don't forget the omnipresent hipster kids parents are the ones dropping big coin on the bikes! For themselves and the hipster kids in that neighborhood!

RWard- have you seen "token hipster kid" (aka bike shop b!tch) lately? well, he looks like he tried to hang himself.

why?

lady on one side of bike path + long leash + dog on other side of the bike path = rope burns on his neck.

oh, and he was on his fixie w/ rather questionable brakes.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Those guys sound like the log more miles than I do.

Sounds like the OP has a problem with some people buying bikes, riding them, losing weight and having fun. I wonder what stereotype should be buying? Who should be allowed to buy what kind of bike so that he doesn't wretch? This world is BTW, all about him and only about him.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
why will a wretch like you be retching?

because you're sick with jealousy that you can't afford a high-end ride?

poor boy, life is harsh.

·
Custom User Title
760 Posts
The article is silly, but the point is people are taking an active step in improving their lives. Who cares if they buy a $5000 bike to do do this?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
2cflyr said:
Middle aged men dropping lots of money on a bike (like 5-10k) is one of the big reasons the LBS i work for is still in business.
Not that there's a ton of that stuff around here, but it ain't guys like me keeping LBS's in business. I just don't buy that much...

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Between supporting their LBS, getting in shape, and perhaps developing more respect for cyclists on the road, I don't see what the problem is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts