Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sick of my wife calling me all the time as her 40 years old VW Beetle was keeping letting her down in the middle of everywhere. My Toyota Prius is 10 years old,I've put 280.000 km on it and NOT A SINGLE issue,the car still runs like a swiss watch. So,since we have an 8 months boy and she hates the idea of carrying him around with the Beetle ( the car has 0 airbags,no safety belts and the cabin reeks of gas smell) I've bought a preowned ( 18.000 km !! ) Toyota Yaris Hybrid for me and gave the Prius to wife. In a month only of ownership she managed to :

1) burn one of the sparks
2) have the engine light go off ( 300 Euro worth of workshop check and overhaul)
3) lose one of the rims cover ( never ever lost one myself !!!! )
4) this afternoon she managed to give the front bumper a ****ing huge shiner while parking...:mad::mad::mad:

I swear to God I'm done with it,that's her car now. What drives me nuts is that I bet her freaking VW Beetle would have gotten all the attentions needed. WTF !!!!!!

rant over.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
In fairness to parking...Lots of Toyotas (among other cars) these days have really high waist-lines, combine with aerodynamic body shapes....and the result is that it is really hard to judge where the car ends.

Also 280,000km? No issues?...that is well past where most things on a car start wearing out.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also 280,000km? No issues?...that is well past where most things on a car start wearing out.
I know,that is fantastic,right ? Totally sold on the Hybrid technology. I expect the little Yaris to be the same. I've always been spot on with regular workshops checks every 15.000 kms anyway that counts a lot. But ehy,now my wife is driving it, not sure it will make it by the end of the summer...:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
A 40 year old Beetle and a 10 year old Prius with 250,000 miles, and you're all upset about a few minor issues? Most people would be ecstatic about getting that much life out of a car.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
In fairness to parking...Lots of Toyotas (among other cars) these days have really high waist-lines, combine with aerodynamic body shapes....and the result is that it is really hard to judge where the car ends.

You must be a pretty subpar driver to be justifying piss poor driving like that. There's no excuse to be dinging bumpers and stationary objects which parking. Sorry.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So you gave your wife the car with 280 Kms and you kept the one with 18? Man, my wife would have laughed herself silly if I tried that.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you gave your wife the car with 280 Kms and you kept the one with 18? Man, my wife would have laughed herself silly if I tried that.
You probably don't have the Yaris in your market. She needed space and she drives about 20 kms per day. But you're right,I'll let he use the new one so she can start trash that too...:p:p:p

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
What drives me nuts is that I bet her freaking VW Beetle would have gotten all the attentions needed. WTF !!!!!!.
As well it should as it's one of the last years for an iconic classic, at least in the US.

That said, the fact that it kept "letting her down in the middle of nowhere" and smells like gas suggests that you got lax with your upkeep. Seatbelts were standard equipment on US spec bugs since, oh, about 1967 I think. So, if yours is missing them or is a non-US spec car, they should be a simple bolt on item available from nearly any air-cooled VW supply shop.

What does "burn one of the sparks" mean?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
You must be a pretty subpar driver to be justifying piss poor driving like that. There's no excuse to be dinging bumpers and stationary objects which parking. Sorry.
I think his point is still valid. I've been in a lot of newer rental cars lately and have noticed that is pretty tough to tell where the ends are. Man, the Impala was the worst. I didn't hit anything but it did have me looking for easy places to park.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You probably don't have the Yaris in your market. She needed space and she drives about 20 kms per day.
I am not familiar with the car so I'm guessing it is fairly tight inside if you need to fit a kiddo seat in there. Save that VW, I'm sure there is a market for those that you can recoup some money.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What does "burn one of the sparks" mean?
Yeah sorry,I don't have the word for that in english. Spark plugs ? The thingies that ignite the gas inside the cylinders.

And about the Beetle it was her car before we met,it's her pride and joy. Although she loves driving a fully automatic reliable Toyota she will never get rid of that boiler of a car. About safety belts here in Italy vintage cars are road legal even when drove without safety belt. Driver's one works but passenger's one does not ( child seat). I told her to don't even think about hookin a child seat on the back seat in case of bail out because of engine fire or whatever. No safety belts in the back so no brainer...:rolleyes:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,955 Posts
Not sub-par at all. I have an immaculate driving record actually ;)

Just saying that a 40-year old VW Beetle is FAR easier to just see out of than ANY recent-model car. A VW bug you can just see out of, and see exactly where the car ends. Lots of cars like say recent generation Toyotas (Prius, Camrys, etc.) have very high waistlines on the windows, making near-range visibility a real thing to be worried about in comparison. You really need to practice, because you cannot directly see where the bumper is because the hood blocks it, you have to deduce based on guesswork (consciously or subconsciously) of how large an object is and how near it is.

You drive a vintage VW Beetle for a few decades....a Prius takes some serious acclimating to in visibility.

I think his point is still valid. I've been in a lot of newer rental cars lately and have noticed that is pretty tough to tell where the ends are. Man, the Impala was the worst. I didn't hit anything but it did have me looking for easy places to park.
I had my POS 2002 Mazda Protege5 hatchback lane-changed right into by a blinder-than-a-bat CEO's wife driving a corporate fleet brand new Lexus SUV worth 10X+ what my POS was (seriously not lying or exaggerating any of who she was or what she was driving). While my relative POS was in the shop I got a rental car for free (she took full fault, and fix was entirely on them)....only thing that Enterprise could come up with resembling my nimble tight-handling easy to see out of Protege5 hatchback was....

A year-old Dodge Caliber.

Absolutely gawd-awful sightlines. Nice enough car inside. It was the same footprint and size-class (tape measured) as my Mazda, I double checked it because it didn't feel that way by a mile. But it handled like a giant cadillac, and the visibility from it was terrible. Inside it felt like seeing out of a prismatic-sight-array in an M1 Abrahms tank.... Like you, I was very careful that week parking.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
I was sick of my wife calling me all the time as her 40 years old VW Beetle was keeping letting her down in the middle of everywhere. My Toyota Prius is 10 years old,I've put 280.000 km on it and NOT A SINGLE issue,the car still runs like a swiss watch. So,since we have an 8 months boy and she hates the idea of carrying him around with the Beetle ( the car has 0 airbags,no safety belts and the cabin reeks of gas smell) I've bought a preowned ( 18.000 km !! ) Toyota Yaris Hybrid for me and gave the Prius to wife. In a month only of ownership she managed to :

1) burn one of the sparks
2) have the engine light go off ( 300 Euro worth of workshop check and overhaul)
It's unlikely that anything she did caused those issues. Stuff happens when cars get up there in miles.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It appears that any car your wife drives ends up having problems. You might sign her up for a "how to maintain and repair your own car" class. Looks like she could use it.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
You probably don't have the Yaris in your market. She needed space and she drives about 20 kms per day. But you're right,I'll let he use the new one so she can start trash that too...:p:p:p
The Yaris is sold in the U.S., but only in the conventionally-powered version, not the hybrid. The same is true of the similarly sized Honda Fit.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not sub-par at all. I have an immaculate driving record actually ;)

Just saying that a 40-year old VW Beetle is FAR easier to just see out of than ANY recent-model car. A VW bug you can just see out of, and see exactly where the car ends. Lots of cars like say recent generation Toyotas (Prius, Camrys, etc.) have very high waistlines on the windows, making near-range visibility a real thing to be worried about in comparison. You really need to practice, because you cannot directly see where the bumper is because the hood blocks it, you have to deduce based on guesswork (consciously or subconsciously) of how large an object is and how near it is.

You drive a vintage VW Beetle for a few decades....a Prius takes some serious acclimating to in visibility.

I had my POS 2002 Mazda Protege5 hatchback lane-changed right into by a blinder-than-a-bat CEO's wife driving a corporate fleet brand new Lexus SUV worth 10X+ what my POS was (seriously not lying or exaggerating any of who she was or what she was driving). While my relative POS was in the shop I got a rental car for free (she took full fault, and fix was entirely on them)....only thing that Enterprise could come up with resembling my nimble tight-handling easy to see out of Protege5 hatchback was....

A year-old Dodge Caliber.

Absolutely gawd-awful sightlines. Nice enough car inside. It was the same footprint and size-class (tape measured) as my Mazda, I double checked it because it didn't feel that way by a mile. But it handled like a giant cadillac, and the visibility from it was terrible. Inside it felt like seeing out of a prismatic-sight-array in an M1 Abrahms tank.... Like you, I was very careful that week parking.
I agree with the bunker style gunslit windows - they suck!

it's yet anther reason I like my very traditional sedan with tall windows and lots of glass. well heck even the ceiling is all glass.

but kind of costly, as it is a '12 Benz E550 I bought new. 4 years and only one issue - the air suspension pump just died, but covered by warranty. Don't wanna know how many new S-Works it would cost to pay for one of those pumps!

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
I want another classic big so freaking bad, hopefully once I get into my new house I will have to room to work on one , one I find the right one

1 - 20 of 22 Posts