Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the SD threads are merged into one. With a title that will make searching for the thread in the future pretty easy.

Trust me, in 6 months, 2 years, etc you will be happy to have them all in one place.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I'm thinking this is not the best idea you ever had. NNTIAWWT

dr hoo said:
All the SD threads are merged into one. With a title that will make searching for the thread in the future pretty easy.

Trust me, in 6 months, 2 years, etc you will be happy to have them all in one place.
That post is so big no one with dial-up is ever going to be able to open it. If you just include the links in one post it would be a lot more user friendly.

YMMV

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
That post is so big no one with dial-up is ever going to be able to open it. If you just include the links in one post it would be a lot more user friendly.

YMMV
True.

But if people are surfing on a dial up, they can just not be automatically loading images anyway. That saves TONS of bandwidth, and one can load images one at a time.

Also, you can set your RBR settings to load as few as 5 posts per page. Anyone on dial up might want to consider that.

I thought about links, but the merge feature seems the best option, especially with the user features that allow such a wide variety of control on how much content at a time is downloaded.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
It strikes me............

that if people wanted all the SD threads in one thread.......they would have responded to one thread......D'oh

This definatly wasn't one of your better decisions.

Now.....in order to read responses,

I have to wend my way through an enormous merged thread with oversized pictures that forces me to move right & left.

& make sure that I remember who responded precviously.

& it's only going to get worse as more people contribute.

I'm sure you did it for good reasons, but....
Len

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Len J said:
Yea...great idea.

Len
I am relying on experience here. As in YEARS of doing/watching gathering threads on MTBR passion. Most people like a single gathering thread, and don't like multiple threads. The reason for this becomes clear down for those of you that don't see it now..

If people really, really want multiple threads, I can do that. I can split the threads. But it won't have the advantage of tying it all together into a single place, tying the split experiences together into a unified whole, and letting future generations of RBRers go and see what happened.

Plus it does not require so many sticky threads. Cleaner.

I can split the threads, but I think it is a mistake to do so. If people want a single thread, speak up. If people want multiple threads, speak up as well.

EDIT:

To split threads I can only split a single post at a time, all posts under it do not come along for the ride. In other words, it would be a real PITA to do so. I really thought it would be simple to split them out, and I did not forsee complaints. Sorry for the bother.

I won't touch it ever again, so if you want stand alone posts, go ahead and post them, or repost them. If you want a single thread, post in there, or post a link to your stand alone post in the thread... assuming you want people to be able to find your stuff later on with ease.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upon futher review, I can easily split off threads. I will do so now. Give me a minute or two.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dr hoo said:
Upon futher review, I can easily split off threads. I will do so now. Give me a minute or two.
OK, i unmerged them. If you see errors, tell me what to stick where... as some have already done.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Thank you for doing a thankless job, and no....

dr hoo said:
OK, i unmerged them. If you see errors, tell me what to stick where... as some have already done.
...I won't tell you what to stick where. :D

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
No, it's a good idea...however, I think it should be done later this week.

Let everyone have their "featured" time at the top of the forum (especially MY threads!! j/k) and as the interest drops off, unstick them all, but leave one thread stuck at the top with links and good descriptions to each thread.

It DOES get cluttered up a bit, I know, but on Friday, we'll clean it up. And for posterity, it's good to have ONE main thread to go to.

And, it helps to include some of the "best" pics from the threads in the merged threads post, to make it a representation of whats in the threads. I can take care of this, doc.

-g

(p.s. I merged mickey-macs pic of J's and the waitress into my Day 2 thread.)

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gregg said:
(p.s. I merged mickey-macs pic of J's and the waitress into my Day 2 thread.)
Thanks for doing that, I just could not remember where it should go.

I just thought during my last class that later in the week they could be merged, and I think that is the best solution to do both individual and collective benefit. I'll let you merge them when the time comes.

But there are going to be a HECK of a lot of sticky posts up there this week!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts