Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
20 minute bonuses-when was that, 1927? Personally, I think the organizers have done a nice job making the first week more entertaining. Lots of yellow jerseys switching hands, a short ITT so there aren't huge splits among the contenders before the mountains. It will likely not be decided until the second to last stage...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What?

stevesbike said:
20 minute bonuses-when was that, 1927? Personally, I think the organizers have done a nice job making the first week more entertaining. Lots of yellow jerseys switching hands, a short ITT so there aren't huge splits among the contenders before the mountains. It will likely not be decided until the second to last stage...
what are you talking about? booz up mate!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would prefer having the time bonuses back in, although I don't particularly mind not having the Prologue. The TTT was always great though, it's a shame that's gone. If the Tour is trying to be a little different and fresh each year I'm not complaining, sometimes they'll get it right and sometimes they won't.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
So far, it's been good. Through 5 stages, we've seen:

3 different riders wear yellow

A breakaway that succeeded

2 stages that went the way of the conventional sprinters

2 more breakaways that came very close to making it

An opening stage where many of the GC hopefuls were sprinting for the stage win

French riders attempting to be aggressive instead of sitting at the back of the peloton saying, "woe is us, we can't compete against a field of dopers."

A time trial that shook things up but didn't produce large enough gaps to make the rest of
the Tour unwatchable.

Some crashes (that's the NASCAR fan in me talking, but in all honesty, I feel bad for all the riders who have been involved in crashes thus far as I would never want to hit the deck at the speeds at which they ride).

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
personally, i miss the TTT, but thats about it. when the prologue was outta country it was neat, but it always seemed to be a, "yeah, he looks good this year and will win" sorta thing.

the lack of time bonuses changes the strategy a bit. not sure if its for the better or not. we will see in the mountains.

it does seem more up-for-grabs this year, though. i just hope cadel doesnt win. that guy just rubs me the wrong way. i guess because ive never seen him do anything GREAT.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Let's go really old school then! 500km stages. No outside help. Fixed gear. Rider fixes his own bike and carries his own parts.

Or how about national teams?

Or how about deciding GC based on point system and not overall time?

All have been done before in the Tour. The TdF is famous for mixing it up. Enjoy ...

·
Registered
706 Posts
weltyed said:
personally, i miss the TTT, but thats about it. when the prologue was outta country it was neat, but it always seemed to be a, "yeah, he looks good this year and will win" sorta thing.
I've gotta admit I don't know. What the hell is the difference between a Prologue and and individual time trial?

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
The Weasel said:
I've gotta admit I don't know. What the hell is the difference between a Prologue and and individual time trial?
Distance is the only major difference. I forget what the magic number is, but anything over a certain distance is classified as an individual time trial - even if it happens to be on the opening day of the Tour. Refer to Stage 1 of '05.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
roadie92 said:
One thing I miss about the old days is riders did not have radios in the ears. I think it takes away from the riders becasue they can't ride there own race they do where the DS says.
I do like the way some riders opt to pull their ear pieces out when they want to do it how they think it should be done.

"What's that, Johann? You're breakin' up." Followed up by air noise on the in-car radio.

G

·
I miss the TTT, though clearly, if you were a good GC rider on a bad TT team, you were severly handicaped. Still, I rather have them in an teams will just have to get better at TTTing.

I don't mind race radio, but I think race video (in the cars) needs to fcuking die!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Race Radio, and Video needs to be put aside...
Ok, maybe give a radio to 1 rider on the road per team... and let the GC contender, and Sprinter, and the Super Domestiques learn to ride under a "Road General"... Someone who is a team leader, and a peloton veteran.

Hell, Big George turned in his radio yesterday, it stopped working and he didn't want or need another... talk about a guy who would be a great "road general"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.