Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the XC skiing this week at the Olympics and I realized what I miss the most about most forms of bike racing, but love about Cross. I miss the sound of the bells and the crowed on the run up’s and the party atmosphere of a CycloCross venue. But I better get over it because it’s a long way off.
Cross on!
Dan.
P.S. summer Cross, I wonder

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
I am with ya...

Who says that cross has to take a back seat to road racing.

A summer cross series, aimed at a slightly different group of folks (not the hard core roadies) would be great. I just don't see any major companies signing up to promote. It would have to be a grass roots effort, perhaps at the local bike shops or local bike clubs.

I am amazed at how many money making opportunities bike shops pass on. Think about it... A summer cross series means more specialty bike sales, more service, more tires, new shoes...and so on.

Make it a non license race-age group or something. Aim it at those weekend fun bikers who could never think of entering a road race or crit.

Closed venue means great family fun. Easier permits, safer for the rider. Give out trophies to the muddiest or slowest. Heck, the bike shop could make a killing on cow bells alone!

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you make it a wednesday-evening type series on cross-style courses, open to all bikes, it could really be fun! The MTB'er have some speed-training as a fun alternative to the training crits on the road, crossers can keep focussing on their main gig all year long, even if they follow a full summer season of weekend-roadie races. If I had a weekly local cross race to go to, I'd do quite a few over the year. Possibly more than in the whole winter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cloxxki said:
If you make it a wednesday-evening type series on cross-style courses, open to all bikes, it could really be fun! The MTB'er have some speed-training as a fun alternative to the training crits on the road, crossers can keep focussing on their main gig all year long, even if they follow a full summer season of weekend-roadie races. If I had a weekly local cross race to go to, I'd do quite a few over the year. Possibly more than in the whole winter.
Here in Seattle we have the famous "Wednesday Night World Championships". Its a weekly mtb series at South SeaTac park (home of old Supercups) that runs from April-August. After August the Wed nights turn into cross practice out at Marymoor park in Redmond (StarCrossed) under the lights. For the mtb races there can be upwards of 100 people showing up for the two races (one at 6pm for the beginners & one at 7pm for the Pro-Expert & Sport classes). On any given night you could be lining up next to 5-6 current or past Nat Champs from cross or mtb. Its a total blast & for most of the Pro-Expert field its just killing time waiting for fall. :). The courses are usually pretty fast & similar to cross (tech NW cross) which makes it perfect for training. Usually the races are about an hour long (or in some cases when i'm using it strictly as a training race I'll go 100% for an hour then pull out so I can get my burger & beer before the rush :)). When it gets closer to fall, some people get out their cross bikes but it gets pretty sandy by the end of summer so a mtb usually works best. The last race of the summer is pretty much an all cross race though. Several of us get the hall pass (from the wives/girlfriend/boyfriends on Wed nights & party in Wicks (promoters) motorhome until he finally kicks us out. Good times. Its also fun to have hot shot pros show up now & again who think they are going to walk away with a victory in this little race. 99% of the time they get worked over by the local boys who can ride this area with their eyes closed. I think it was Ricky Federeu (sp) from Canada is an exeption to this one. He won a Wed nighter a few years back though.

If anyone is ever up in Seattle/Tacoma area during the week in the summer, come check it out.There is also road racing on Tuesdays at Pacific Raceways & Crits at Seward Park on Lk Washington on Thursdays. You can race 5 days a week up here in the Summer if you have the energy. If you're around 5'10ish I can loan you a bike too (Rd, Mtn or Cross).

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts