Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
StraightEdge
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an early 70's Raleigh that I just dropped $500+ into converting... and during the build ended up finding out that fork has a slight bend to it. We've tried to bend it back but I'm now worried about it no longer being safe to ride. I'm not looking forward to trying to figure out the random measurements that are on this old fork and trying to match it up w/ a modern threaded/lugged fork... so would any of you ladies/gents know of a website and/or have a spare sitting in the garage that you would be willing to sell?

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,761 Posts
Send it to a reputable frame builder. They should be able to bend it back into shape, and tell if it's safe or not. I had Roland Della Santa bend my '77 Super Course fork after running into the back of a car and it's plenty solid.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Having replaced the odd fork or two on older steel bikes myself, I have found that it is actually pretty easy to swap for a new one. You might have to bet a new headset, but a cheap 1" Tange threaded will do the job for $20. Measure twice, buy once - from your LBS, who will be happy to assist you.

Cool frame, post some pictures when you're done.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What random measurements? You need to match the rake, which is easy to measure. length from dropout to brake mounting hole varies, too, but if it's way off you can correct with a different reach brake.

Chances of finding an exact original equipment match seem remote, especially when the only spec you give is "early 70's Raleigh." Did they all have the same head tube angle? If not, they need different rakes.

I say measure the rake and find a threaded fork that matches it.

How bent was it? A few mm cold-setting isn't going to hurt a steel fork much.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Head over to the Velocipede Salon Forum and post in the General Discussion forum that you need a fork built to the same specs as the existing one. Perhaps request suggestions for someone close to where you live. Offer to ship the existing fork so they can measure it. That's the forum that's loaded with framebuilders of all levels, and someone there should be able to handle the job. You could also check the Smoked Out section to find a framebuilder that's local to you.

As an alternative, you can ask if they'll first examine the existing fork and see if straightening it is feasible. All it may need is a little love from an expert.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have an '80's vintage 'Raleigh-USA' fork- 1" steel '555' tubing, full chrome with 21.5cm of steerer including about 3 cm of thread and fender eyelets on it.
It was from this bike:
- I think a 56cm. PM me for more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.