Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of my grocery pannier for taking my backpack to school.
I'm tired of having a sweaty backpack.
I don't want to fork over $100 for some over-priced, made in Taiwan backpack.
I need that technology that suspends the pack away from your back, utilizing mesh or something.

I've tried wearing a very light pack, but I still sweat. I've tried to empty all the contents of my back in a trunk bag, but the backpack still made me sweat. Please help. I'm sick of panniers, and I just want to wear a backpack without sweating.

I don't need a water bladder, or lots of gimmicks. Just pockets, a black color, and it can't look retarded.

Thanks.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
I do not believe that a pack that meets your requirements exists. I have tried many and in the end, panniers always win.

Just out of curiosity...What does a "retarded" backpack look like?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HIMEHEEM said:
The backpack is not your problem.
Rub some antiperspirant all over your back.
Exactly what do I rub on my back, and is it practical to do so? I've worn wicking t-shirts to work and school, yet sweat still accumulates on my back. I'm sure the sweat marks aren't visible on wicking material, but I don't know.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Deuter and Vaude both make (expensive) backpacks with a suspended mesh back panel. I've been considering one for a couple of years now because I'd rather use a backpack for commuting than panniers- it would let me use my good bike instead of the one with the rack. Haven't pulled the trigger because of price. That said, I'd guess that panniers are still better in terms of back sweat.

·
I'm slow
213 Posts
Osprey has one of the nicest designs out there for keeping the pack off your back and letting air flow under it. I don't own one but for demo purposes I've worn one for about 45 minutes while shopping at my local outdoor store. It stayed very cool compared to other packs that sit directly on your back. They are definitely worth a look, but not sure what size bag you are looking for, most of the bags are designed for backpacking but they do make smaller ones too.

www.ospreypacks.com go to 'pack tech' then 'suspension technology' to see the different frames they offer.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts

·
Pedaling Like Mad
353 Posts
You might try a smallish frame pack, the kind used for backpacking. AS the name implies, it is a metal frame that rides on your back, supported at the waist by a wide padded belt. The pack itself attaches to the frame, and so does not contact your body.

They ride high, though, which will likely throw off your cycling center of gravity. They aren't designed to be flexible and body conforming, either - they are more rigid than forgiving. You could possibly get one in a youth or womans size that wont look too dorky.

Another thought is one of the US Military packs, found on the surplus market. The Alice or Molle packs are what Im thinking of. I dont really know much about them, but the US military certainly has need for a cool and breathable field pack, and may have solved the problem for you. A small capacity version might do the trick. One of the guys at work, who served in Iraq, uses one everyday.

You might have trouble finding either type in black, though. Look around on ebay and see what is available.

I recently saw another alternative on the internet: a pannier that fits overt the top tube, between your legs.

Its an old idea, ASFAIK, which has been resurrected. Obviously, it has gear carrying limits, but it gets the weight off the rear of the cycle and relieves your back from toting your stuff... and sweating.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something something here, but why carry anything on your back when you've got a perfectly good bicycle under you? When I rode (and walked) with a backpack many tears ago, the backpack stayed on the bike when pedaling and went on my back only after parking the bike. If it's a fashion thing, I plead total ignorance.

For some ideas on how to stow stuff on a bike, here's a picture of a 1947 Swiss Amy bike. :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
I used to have a backpack made by Asolo that had exactly what you describe. You do lose some space inside the back so it can remain away from you but it was a really nice pack. I put it in the washing machine and one of the straps got caught and torn loose. Won't do that again.

Wasn't exactly this, but it was close. And I also hate Panniers. you're not alone. They make my bike feel dorky and slow.

http://www.amazon.com/Asolo-Gear-Ve...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275577726&sr=8-5

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
That is so cool.

I've got a couple of those rifles. The Swiss sold them off into the surplus market some time ago. The stocks were dinged up, but the metal and bores were in great condition. The workmanship is just incredible on them. They're extremely accurate. You can still find them for around $250. Its tempting to get a third. I read someplace that if they were made new today, they would cost over $2000.

·
Pedaling Like Mad
353 Posts
wim said:
Perhaps I'm missing something something here, but why carry anything on your back when you've got a perfectly good bicycle under you? When I rode (and walked) with a backpack many tears ago, the backpack stayed on the bike when pedaling and went on my back only after parking the bike. If it's a fashion thing, I plead total ignorance.

For some ideas on how to stow stuff on a bike, here's a picture of a 1947 Swiss Amy bike. :D
ANd look at the pannier slung from the top tube. Like I said, an old idea that is seeing some new life these days.

As for the rifle, A german General once asked a Swiss general:
"You only have a million men in your army - If I invaded your country with 5 million men, what could you do."
The Swiss general replied, "Tell my soldiers to each shoot five times - and then go home."

The Swiss are renowned marksmen. Indeed the entire country is made up of them. It is not unknown to see young Swiss girls riding their bikes to 'schuetzenfesten', with their rifles slung on their back.
Some will say that Switzerland has never been invaded because it is a nation of citizen soldiers, each of whom is an expert marksman. Only a fool would invade a mountainous nation comprised of such sturdy folk.

Hey, it works for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.