Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a set of Banjo Bros. grocery panniers at the LBS. These are big rectangular bags designed to hold a standard brown paper grocery bag (each), and they clip to the side of a rear rack. I am currently using them on my Trek 3700 MTB with a Trek Interchange rear rack.

The grocery panniers are a great concept because they greatly expand my ability to do grocery shopping with the bike instead of the car. Unfortunately they are so big that I kick them with my size 13 US heels, in spite of my bike's 430mm chainstay length. I have the bags moved as far aft on the rack as possible, and I adjusted the rack up and back as much as possible, but the clearance is still marginal.

The Trek Interchange rack has pannier mount bars about 14 inches long, with about 6 inches aft of the lower mount plane when the rack is level. Can anyone recommend a rack with more length, and/or more length aft of the vertical plane drawn through the lower mount? I think if I could find something with 8 inches of mounting room behind the plane I'd be good.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Jandd or IRD?

Hard to picture without a picture. I'd say give Jandd a call and check dimensions on their Expedition rack (aluminum). Or call IRD and inquire about the Khyber (Al or stainless) rack. Both have a longer top platform of about 16".

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I am between digital cameras at the moment. Thanks for the tips though, I will check those out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe "old man mountain" racks have some sort of solution. They're pretty $$ as racks go. I think I saw it on arke's website (www.panniers.com). I have 14's and I solved it by rotating the rack away (so it's on a slight downslope). Looks dorky, but works.

-l

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I found an "Axiom" brand rack at the LBS which solved my problem. It's about 16" long with more length aft of the lower mount plane. It's actually a really nice rack, esp. considering that it only cost $25.

BTW this Axiom rack has a claimed capacity of 50kg. Although the rack seems sturdy I think that claim is dubious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts