Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the search function, but most results are very outdated, so nothing really new to review. My old Ascent has seen better days, so I'm in search of something that's a good balance between cost/reliability that will support both presta and shrader valved tubes.

Ok RBR, give me your suggestions and why!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a Topeak joe blow sprint that I seem to recall getting for a good price on clearance but you shouldn't have trouble finding one for ~$50 or less I think. It has both presta and shrader, a metal base, and the guage is located at the top of the pump so it is easy to read. I've had mine for years now and now that I think of it its the one constant since bikes have come and gone but it still remains.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
So far my Lezyne has been kicking ass for 2 years. I like the all metal construction. Mine has the speed head which I really like. I'd stay away from the flip twist on stuff.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Joe Blow Ace is pretty sweet. Same head fits presta or schraeder. Dual barrel, can select both (MTB), big one (road), or small one (track) to get up to 260 psi (!!!). With both barrels, inflating MTB tires is FAST. I use that to get up to about 80 lbs on my road tires then switch to large barrel only to top it off. Pretty indestructable so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know how old my Silca is. The varnish on the handle is worn off and the handle a little cracked. Best guess is mid 80's. It seemed to be loosing it's mojo, so I got a Lezyne.

The Lezyne head is nicely machined and screws on. It is not particularly convenient because it seems like you have to screw the head about 5" onto the stem, but the seal is impeccable and eliminates problems typical of push on heads. Not going to bend anything putting the hose on. The reliability of the head is why a have a slight preference for the Lezyne.

I put a new plunger washer in the Silca and cleaned the check valve up. My campy head is the two piece one that works on Schraeder after unscrewing the presta adapter. I changed it for a repair flip lock head and it works like it should with no leakage, mostly. I had to use the Lezyne the last time because the chuck wasn't sealing.

The Lezyne feels like I have to push it about half-way down before getting any resistance from back pressure, but I use both pumps; which ever is handy. Prefer Lezyne because the sealing is reliable.

Reports are that the pressure gage assembly is not easily repairable - you have to demolish the old gage to put a new one in because the thread locking compound is very effective.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I use the Lezyne also. I like the new head they use. I have deep carbon rims because they are far superior to handmade wheels with open pro's, and not a whole lot of valve stem sticks out. With the Lezyne I am able to thread it on with less than 2cm showing. The gauge works great and it is a solid feel. Chainlove has been blowing them out occasionally for ~$40 lately too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have a too old to know Silca, but never liked the push on head. The last replacement hose and head is a Lezyne, the gold one. The hose is somewhat smaller than the orginal and was tough to get on. The Lezyne head is great, doesn't care if the valve stem has threads or not, screws onto the threaded part the valve cap uses. I like the combo.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
Check the date on the post previous to yours. Exactly 1 year ago. Good info in your post, but it's been covered dozens of times. And as you can see, the OP bought a really good pump that should last for years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.