Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new tire pump. My old Blackburn has given out. Besides, it used to grab on the valve too tight and I had a few tears as a result.
I want ...nice price, accurate guage, easy to use and reliable pump head, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm very happy with the Topeak Joe Blow Pro. I've had it for 4 years or so, and I use it almost every day. The "smart head" works on presta and schrader without any adapter. Just slap it on and flip the thumb lock. Very handy for kids bikes and car tires. Gauge is accurate (as far as I know) and mounted on the top of the pump for easy reading.

Shop around. List price is 79 (cough), but I got one for a friend last year for just over 40 from Performance with coupons.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Standard advice

Psychler said:
I need a new tire pump. My old Blackburn has given out. Besides, it used to grab on the valve too tight and I had a few tears as a result.
I want ...nice price, accurate guage, easy to use and reliable pump head, etc.
Silca Super Pista. Easy to repair, accurate gauge, and they last forever.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had great luck with a Serfas FMP-500 (or something like that). I wanted a 2nd pump, so I had my LBS order a Silca Super Pista. As much as an Italian lover as I am, I have to say that it was the most inconvenient pump I've tried. I used it on 3 or 4 different bikes in the shop, couldn't get a consistent seal on the presta valves, found it was slower to inflate, and felt uncomfortable using. I tried a Specialized Air Tool Comp and found it pretty effortless to use. Not quite as easy as the Serfas, but close. I like the single head that adapts to either presta or schrader, and has a thumb lock. Believe me, I was prepared to spend the dough to buy the Silca, but I wouldn't have taken it if the prices were reversed (Specialized was less than half the price).

For the most part, though, I could probably get by with whatever is around.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
cjohnson12144 said:
I just got the Joe Blow Sport about a month ago, and I love it. Absolutely the best Presta connection I've ever had, a very accurate gauge, and it releases very easily when I'm done.
Kids just messed with my JB Sport and lost some pieces so I have to order a new one. Jensonusa has em for $23 plus ship. Love the pump since I have a need to pump both Schreader and presta routinely. Last pump was one of the Park Pro models and it failed within 3 months. The sport model was recommended over the Pro model for the ability to do Schraeder easier (dual head vs smarthead).

Gonna keep the busted one for spare parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.