Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BBQ and blues!
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see guys riding these great looking bikes, all decked out in their bright riding regalia and as I get closer I see this little dinky blinking tail light. What a waste of money!

Any suggestions for a real light that can actually be seen well enough to warn traffic that they are approaching a cyclist? I prefer one that blinks.

MB

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
. . . light that can actually be seen well enough to warn traffic that they are approaching a cyclist?
Not an answer to your question, but a sidebar to this thread:

Some time ago, I corresponded with people in the U.S. and in Europe who were trying to find ways to make cycling at night safer. One of the points made was that many motorists will see a bright, blinking light, but fail to associate it with a cyclist. Some thought that this was because almost every cylist presents a different pattern of lighting (especially in the U.S.), making it impossible for drivers to memorize a "cyclist's pattern." Others theorized that an apparently non-moving blinking red light triggers "construction barricade" or something similar at first sighting, removing the human being up ahead from the driver's decision-making process.

The correspondence triggered an old memory: riding in cars through night-time European streets, I remember spotting many cyclists on the road ahead. They almost always showed the same pattern: one feeble non-blinking red light, flanked by two dim yellow rectangles moving rhythmically up and down. Yet my reaction and that of the driver was immediate and clear: careful - cyclist ahead!

My point here is that drivers might clearly see bright flashing lights, but their first confused assumptions might be very different from those the cyclist wants them to make.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
wim said:
My point here is that drivers might clearly see bright flashing lights, but their first confused assumptions might be very different from those the cyclist wants them to make.
I agree. I have a couple of friends that are traffic cops, & they told me the same thing. Drivers will notice the flashing light, but they won't react to it immediately. I use a flashing light, a steady red light on my helmet, 2, 3.5" round reflectors, a strap light attached to my left calf, a couple of small lights that screw onto the valve stems and reflective tape on the frame. Friends & neighbors who have passed me in the dark tell me that I'm extremely noticeable and it's very clear from a long distance that I'm a cyclist.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
A reflective triangle is a good addition to a blinking light. Use the power of the car headlights to your advantage and it works in lighter hours too. Warns "human being ahead" more than a blinking light.

See photo in middle of page. Note the triangle and light.
http://bicyclesafe.com/

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
sorry about that.

http://www.night-sun.com/htmldocs/stuff_civilian.html

same light. You can order directly from them.

My only complaint is that the blinker is kind of slow compared to some.
It is bright though.

I also have some small blinys from cateye that you can actually change the speed of the blink. I usually have at least two of them and the night sun at the same time all set at different speeds.

I bought the nightsun because I already had the headlight and could hook it up in line with the rechargeable battery.

http://www.night-sun.com/htmldocs/team_issue.html

Super solid lighting system. I used it for years mountain biking and now use it to commute.
I have owned it for damn near 14 years (how time flys). -- the blinker was purchased this year as I have only commuted for about 8 months or so.

Don't forget that most states require reflectors. I like reflective tape to the seatstays.
I also like ankle bands.

I don't think you can have enough lights/reflective stuff while riding at night.
The drivers around here are not very good and to make matters worse they are not use to cyclists.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Buy the good

and be done with it. A while back I bought a Nite rider system, tail light, handle bar light, and have since added the helmet mounted light. Rechargeble and friggin bright. I use it for trail riding. If you buy the good you can use it for what ever you want and you won't be limited to the blinky gadget thingy only.

BT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts