Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best place to buy bibs, and which are the best for around $150 or under?:confused:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Depends on your taste and wallet...

be honest with yourself, is the name on the tag important? If so, most of the premium bibs are really nice, you just have to decide between the fit, style, and feel of each.

In my limited experience, there doesn't seem to be that much difference between premium bibs on one hand, and the next level of quality on the other. I have had Assos bibs that wore rather quickly and looked ratty distressingly quickly, while I have had less expensive bibs I could not kill.

I have recently preferred riding inexpensive Voler Bibs, which are very nicely done, made in USA, and a good value, and on days when I want to be plush, I use the premium Voler Bib, the model name of which I do not recall. Their premium bib is very nice, for $99 I think.

Phat&SlowVelo said:
Where's the best place to buy bibs, and which are the best for around $150 or under?:confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Voler Bibs

Velowear.com

They're decent bibs. Only last about one season though before the lycra starts wearing "transparant" thin though. Here's my .02.

Voler: okay team gear...good value...thin lycra...chamois is adequate...nothing special.\
Pearl Izumi: Microsensor 3D - nice looking bib - chamois is way too big and stiff to begin with, BUT, surprisingly, after several months of break-in, finally became comfortable. Long break in period.
Assos: Tried the Bib Knickers this winter with thicker chamois....most comfortable shorts bibs I have ever worn. Have a pair of regular bibs F.13 S2 on order now.
Pearl Izumi: Attack bibs - brutal - tear you up kind of brutal - didn't work for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you do apples to apples...

you don't talk about the Voler basic value line (you must have shark skin--I have worn mine two years, and mtb use and they look fine), but instead you need to talk about Voler's Premium bibs, which are still less expensive than the others you name. And way less than the Assos.

mmercier said:
Velowear.com

They're decent bibs. Only last about one season though before the lycra starts wearing "transparant" thin though. Here's my .02.

Voler: okay team gear...good value...thin lycra...chamois is adequate...nothing special.\
Pearl Izumi: Microsensor 3D - nice looking bib - chamois is way too big and stiff to begin with, BUT, surprisingly, after several months of break-in, finally became comfortable. Long break in period.
Assos: Tried the Bib Knickers this winter with thicker chamois....most comfortable shorts bibs I have ever worn. Have a pair of regular bibs F.13 S2 on order now.
Pearl Izumi: Attack bibs - brutal - tear you up kind of brutal - didn't work for me.

·
Train to Nowhere
697 Posts
my son got me a pair of castelli bibs and they seemed a little tight at first, however once i got on my bike they felt like i was wearing nothing. i know colorado cycling has them for $89 dollars with no california state tax, but i'm sure there are other shops that may have cheaper

"i'm not a man to be toyed with"- joel cairo

·
Registered
841 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Performance and Nashbar had DeMarchi bibs on sale, at least recently, for under a hundred bucks--I think one had the contour model and one the contour plus. These are really nice, IMO. Also check the competitive cyclist site--they had some of these and some Giordana Tenax, which many folks swear by but I've never tried, for under a hundred on their closeout page (maybe Nashbar had the tenax too). And total cycling has sorta steep shipping (for the first item) but some very good Assos prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts