Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone? I need some help in the worst way, last year I was racing and weighed in at 165 lbs but over the winter a 45 lb weight fell on my leg at my old job and as My leg healed to where I could ride I proceded to break my hand building a bike and again couldn't ride. I'm now 195 lbs and disgusted with myself. I need some hints or tips to help me stop eating late at night, anything will help me and be very helpful at this point. I've been riding again for about a month and a half or maybe two months and have not seen any drop in weight just an increase in my performance so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give a frusterated 22 year old that is desperate for some help and is drivin to race again.

thanks

marshall

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Take a deep breath. You're only 22- and it's only June.

To lose weight you need to have healthy food around, not junk. No fast food ever. No deserts. Also, you need to write down every single thing you eat for a week and look at what you are eating and when. After doing that, you can make some adjustments.

Remember you didn't gain all that weigh in a few months, so you ain't going to lose it that fast either.

Baseline is to exercise more, harder and for longer. Eat better food, no crap, have healthy snacks around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are you calling healthy? i mean things like apples oranges celery and other fruits and vegies are obvious but what about like granola bars and powerbars and things of that sort? I try not to eat after 9 o'clock but it is very difficult for me right now, it used to be no problem at all but i'm having a heck of a time with it now but I am getting a bit better.

I guess you're right I do need to settle down and relax, I am 22 and it is only June. I'm just itching to get back into my true form and be able to ride centuries and keep up with the "fast" group. Thanks for the reply and I would rather take longer and do it right than get it done fast and have it not last so thanks for the words of encouragment.

marshall

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
marshall21205 said:
what are you calling healthy? i mean things like apples oranges celery and other fruits and vegies are obvious but what about like granola bars and powerbars and things of that sort? I try not to eat after 9 o'clock but it is very difficult for me right now...
If you have weight to lose, powerbars and granola bars are junk food. Try not eating anything with preservatives in it. That leaves you with fresh produce, lean meats, nuts, beans, etc. Carbs at your descretion, but try to fill up on fruits and vegetables before you fill up on carbs.

There's no reason on earth you can't eat after a certain time. If you're self-imposing that rule because you have a habit of binging late at night, that's one thing. But it's fine to fix yourself a healthy bedtime snack that will get you through until morning. There's no sense in waking up ravenous and eating a gigantic breakfast that blows your entire diet. Make sure you are eating breakfast, it prevents you from overeating later in the day and stokes your metabolism throughout the day.

Lastly, don't drink or eat anything other than water on rides less than 1 hour. Many people tend to overeat when they ride, which is not helpful if you have weight to lose. Try to get away with eating (this includes sports beverages) as little as possible on rides longer than that. Allow yourself plenty of water (at least 1 bottle per hour), and watch your salt intake. You may want to take salt tablets or a product like Endurolytes if you are not using a sports beverage, depending on how much electrolytes you sweat out while exercising.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
yeah, what she says.
it's all about portions, IMHO. Don't forbid yourself anything -- it leads to craving and binging. Just moderate. And make good choices. Carbs go kaflooey, the more processed the more kaflooey, but proteins stick with you, and lead to fewer rebound cravings. So, choose a complex carb, with a little protein. Don't eschew carbs or fat completely; you'll never feel satisfied.
And keep riding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so juts water on rides, what about before and after? are things like gatorade,powerade, and propel alright then? I don't eat on rides (other than centuries) but i do drink gatorade on most all rides so I'll cut that out of the program and see how things go.

marshall

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
marshall21205 said:
so juts water on rides, what about before and after? are things like gatorade,powerade, and propel alright then? I don't eat on rides (other than centuries) but i do drink gatorade on most all rides so I'll cut that out of the program and see how things go.

marshall
If you're trying to lose weight, stay away from sports beverages (anything with calories in it) after or during short rides. If it's a longer ride, the sports beverages will be necessary if you are not eating anything else.

You're better off coming home from a ride and fixing yourself something with a good balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats than guzzling down a sports beverage, regardless of how long the ride was. The reason being that sugared, salted water does not fill you up. On the other hand, a good ham sandwich (or whatever) will fill your stomach for a few hours and replenish your glycogen stores as well. Of course, make sure you're drinking enough water, too. Oftentimes thirst is confused for hunger.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fit day

Fitday. com can help you by measuring your caloric intake. You might need to eat much less than you think you are eating. Once I started watching my calories my weight dropped really quick. I also found a calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want just be sure to count the calories accurately per serving. Advising you to give up foods you love for some "healthy" crap you don't want to eat will get you nowhere. count you calories and come up with you own meals you enjoy not what anyone else is trying to push on you. It wont matter what time you eat either just keep the calories about 1000 under their recommended daily intake and you'll do great.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
rounder said:
Fitday. com can help you by measuring your caloric intake. You might need to eat much less than you think you are eating. Once I started watching my calories my weight dropped really quick. I also found a calorie is a calorie so eat whatever you want just be sure to count the calories accurately per serving. Advising you to give up foods you love for some "healthy" crap you don't want to eat will get you nowhere. count you calories and come up with you own meals you enjoy not what anyone else is trying to push on you. It wont matter what time you eat either just keep the calories about 1000 under their recommended daily intake and you'll do great.
Fitday overestimates the amount of calories you burn and often underestimates the number of calories you consume, so be careful. You need to remember to input your 8 hours of sleep (or however long you sleep for), otherwise you'll wonder why you can get away with eating 3,000 calories a day (and you'll soon learn you can't).

I wouldn't advise anyone who is not morbidly obese to cut their calories by 1,000 calories a day. Often such a large deficit will leave one feeling unsatiated, leading to more binging (since this poster seems to have that problem already). In individuals who are already at a pretty healthy weight, such a large deficit will force the body to consume muscle in order to survive. If you cut 500 calories from your diet a day, you will lose approximately 1 lb per week. As another poster said, it took time to gain it, it'll take time to lose it. Shortcuts don't work, pure and simple.

While a calorie may be a calorie, junky food offers little nutrition and rarely fills you up. You can eat a heck of a lot more healthy food calorie for calorie than you can the bad stuff. I don't believe anyone is attempting to push something on this poster. He asked for advice, we gave it. Why are you trying to push your view on him?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
a pound and a half a week

Losing a pound and a half a week is about right. Of course that is an average. Some weeks you won't lose anything, others three pounds. Long endurance pace rides burn a lot of calories.

For me, any ride over 2 hours requires food. All rides require a good breakfast before riding. While you don't want to overeat on rides, undereating is worse. If you are riding the last 15 miles bonked and pedalling squares you're wasting your time. Don't automatically pound down a sports drink because the marketing says you have to. Ask yourself before you eat or drink anything "do I really need this?"

Easy ways to cut calories: NO sodas. High fructose corn syrup is pure evil.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
bahueh said:
I don't think I've ever confused the two...
Uhm... congratulations?

People often do, regardless.

·
Registered
635 Posts
maybe get a coach or some coaching if you can afford it. after one series injury (leg) and one fairly common one (broken hand) your riding is going to be messed up (or at least it should be). it couldnt hurt to at least talk to someone or get on a training program or to get a coach. any of those would also (most likely) provide some sort of nuitruition guide or could help guide you towards losing the weight. just a thought.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Late night eating...

is generally out of habit and not of actual hunger. I "used" to eat a bowl of icecream everynight before bed, and the bowls just kept getting bigger and bigger - just a habit I had formed. I slowly but surely have kicked this habit, now I will still have some icecream a few nights a week, but learned to eat an icecream bar (much smaller) instead of a large bowl. My cycling time due to a bad back (and busy with 3 children) has dwindled down a lot, but I joined the YMCA just to try and keep fit.......and now I have found myself in the best shape I have been in an a long while (I'm 41). Righ now I am 6 lbs under my best racing weight.

Kick the late night food "Habits" - to start replace them with better foods - fruit, water, pretzles. Do some exercising that you can do with your injuries - swim, ride a trainer, walk, trail hike, etc.

KMan

marshall21205 said:
Whats up everyone? I need some help in the worst way, last year I was racing and weighed in at 165 lbs but over the winter a 45 lb weight fell on my leg at my old job and as My leg healed to where I could ride I proceded to break my hand building a bike and again couldn't ride. I'm now 195 lbs and disgusted with myself. I need some hints or tips to help me stop eating late at night, anything will help me and be very helpful at this point. I've been riding again for about a month and a half or maybe two months and have not seen any drop in weight just an increase in my performance so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give a frusterated 22 year old that is desperate for some help and is drivin to race again.

thanks

marshall

·
Registered
165 Posts
I suggest 1000 calories below the fitday recommended calorie intake knowing full well that they over estimate daily caloric intake. as far as pushing junk food I'm not. I lost 6-7 pounds a month under the realization that a calorie is a calorie. While there is definately a need to follow a more healthy eating pattern It is just silly to say don't eat any processed food or this and that. My weight loss came from keeping the calories down and I still drank coke and gatorade and oh no pizza and burgers. Count the calories as that is all that matters. Depriving oneself of the foods you love will only lead to failure or at best misery. By countin the calories of you food you learn proper portion control and how to make food choices thet fill you up without overconsuming. "Bad" foods will be able to find their place in your diet under moderation. I've read through and tried numerous diet ideas and ultimately found myself miserable and just unable to stick with them. The simple fact is calories count more than anything else and the only way to successfully take off the weight AND KEEP IT OFF is by developing a eating plan that you yourself can and will follow.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Anyone who tell you late night eating is badd for fitness or weight loss is a total idiot!

Now I am not saying go eat 5 big macs before bed or 3lbs of pasta.

Eating late 2 night or before going to bed is not a bad thing. It depends on your energy needs and WHAT you eat. I hear all the time "don't eat after 7 or 8pm." Well if you go to bed @ 11pm or Midnight, then that is stupid.

To maintain OPTIMAL eating, you should eat frequent smaller nutritious meals every 2-3 hrs. Yes this aslo means getting up at night to "feed" yourself.

See when you go to sleep, you are starving and depriving your body of nutrients for 6-8 hrs. During this process, you body shuts down and starts to canabolize it's self to keep it going. That is why BREAKFAST is so important. You dody has been deprived and needs to be re-fueled.

When I was competing for body building (and losing 65lbs at one point) I had to make sure to get All 8 meals down and nutriton in my body to keep the body in a positive state. During the night, I would set my alarm clock at the 3 hrs mark after I went to bed and got up and drank a protein shake with minimal carbs. This allow my to stay in a positve state when it came to recovery/growing.

before I went to bed, I ate 10-12 egg whites and 3 cups of spinach.
Now this might be extreme for you, it works for everyone.

Just learn to feed the fire and know what to feed yourself at what time and you can eat ALL day long. hell I ate 5-8,000 calories a day and LOST bodyfat.

BTW, I know the ice cream kick. 14 yrs ago when I worked at haagen daze I gained 64lbs for ice cream!!!!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Just learn to eat with a nice eating program. Best i can suggest in the "Zone Diet" or the "South Beach Diet."

Now these are perfect, but they will TEACH you about nutrition and how to learn to eat properly, how starving or calores restriction is not the answer and that you can eat ALL DAY long if you choose the right foods along with exercise. Now once you learn the basics, you can modify them or come up with your own easy plan fast!

Here are some tips:
  1. Breakfast and post-workout are your largest and most important meals.
  2. Learn to eat smaller nutritional meals every 2-4 hrs.
  3. Get adequate amounts of Protein, Carbs and FATS and why what ratios will work best for YOUR Body type. I would start with this ratio oc C/P/F - 50/35/15
  4. Drink 12-18 oz glasses of WATER a day.
  5. Avoid sports drinks on any ride under 1hr unless you are riding in very hot times and/or you sweat alot. then make sure is diluted.
  6. Have a healthy bedtime snack. Yogurt is my best suggestion.
  7. No Fast Food or high sodium or trans-fat ladden foods or fried items. if you must eat fast fod, make good choices. Every place has good alternatives if it's not a habit!
No I am not the worlds not guru on fitness/nutrition, but after 15+yrs in the fitness industry and a successful fitness professional, I am ALWAYS happy to pass along info and help others out when I ca. So many others have taught me well and I jsut pass it along to others as a thank you to them!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Nothing wrong with Powerbars or granola.

I could feed you a diet of twinkies and you can STILL lose weight. You might not feel good but...

For MOST people to lose weight and it's burn more calories than you take in. Basically a calorie is a calorie.

If you eat 2,000 calories a day in nutritios food and brun say 3-4000 calolers between you BMR and exercise, you could probaly eat 2,000 calories of twinkies or cheesburgers and STILL lose weight.

not you won't be healthy and probaly hungry as you won't get to eat much volume, but that is basically how it works.

Now the list of others issues might come about, but you CAN loose weight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what about like juices, milk and energy drinks? I have had a rather surprising success rate so far with the late night snack just by going to bed an hour earlier and removing the peanut butter from my room. The worst thing is that I sit on my but all day at work and get no form of exercise at all, would something like a stress ball help out at all? I'm guessing no but it's worth a shot, I really wanna drop this weight again. Also someone mentioned "no fast food", what are you considering fast food? McDonalds type places or even like sit down restraunts like chinese or mexican type places?

Also back on the juices/drinks path someone mentioned "no sodas", this is no problem for me I have had only water, lemonade, tea, and a energy drink now and then for the last 2 1/2 years.

marshall

·
Registered
165 Posts
marshall21205 said:
what about like juices, milk and energy drinks? I have had a rather surprising success rate so far with the late night snack just by going to bed an hour earlier and removing the peanut butter from my room. The worst thing is that I sit on my but all day at work and get no form of exercise at all, would something like a stress ball help out at all? I'm guessing no but it's worth a shot, I really wanna drop this weight again. Also someone mentioned "no fast food", what are you considering fast food? McDonalds type places or even like sit down restraunts like chinese or mexican type places?

Also back on the juices/drinks path someone mentioned "no sodas", this is no problem for me I have had only water, lemonade, tea, and a energy drink now and then for the last 2 1/2 years.

marshall
CALORIES ARE CALORIES . Lemonade, juice, energy drinks all have calories. Too much food, drink and you won't loose weight. Quit eating and drinking soo much and you'll loose weight. If you don't follow this simple advice you can end up like the rest of those yo-yo dieters out there looking for some BS miracle to come along and never acomplishing anything. Peanut butter for god sakes it has like 190 calories a spoonful. Mexican and Chinese and Italian and whatnot are fine if you choose the lower calorie non cheese laden cooked in oil foods.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.