Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of older Heliums...they are getting so that they don't stay true. It could be the rims...I could invest in a new set of rims, but I can only fit these hubs (which I like) with the original red Mavic rim...no choices.
So, why not look at a new wheelset? I don't want to get into the Zyrium ES ($900) set... seems that I can get more for my buck..
I am 155lbs, looking for a lightweight set, clinchers, reliable, fast group rides, no racing, average road conditions, climbs... What can I look at spending? What are my choices?
I have heard of WIlliams Cycling and Mike Garcia wheels...Any feedback?
Let's start talking here...educate me as what to look for.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
21,832 Posts
Price/performance

Psychler said:
I have a set of older Heliums...they are getting so that they don't stay true. It could be the rims...I could invest in a new set of rims, but I can only fit these hubs (which I like) with the original red Mavic rim...no choices.
So, why not look at a new wheelset? I don't want to get into the Zyrium ES ($900) set... seems that I can get more for my buck..
I am 155lbs, looking for a lightweight set, clinchers, reliable, fast group rides, no racing, average road conditions, climbs... What can I look at spending? What are my choices?
I have heard of WIlliams Cycling and Mike Garcia wheels...Any feedback?
Let's start talking here...educate me as what to look for.
You can get an excellent set of wheels based on Velocity Aerohead or MAVIC OpenPro rims built on the hubs of your choice for less than $500 that are equal in every respect to those $900 units you're considering. Plus, the built wheels can be easily maintained and if you experience a rim failure, can be repaired for much, much less than a factory wheel.
 

· A wheelist
Joined
·
11,689 Posts
Psychler said:
I have a set of older Heliums...they are getting so that they don't stay true. It could be the rims...I could invest in a new set of rims, but I can only fit these hubs (which I like) with the original red Mavic rim...no choices.
So, why not look at a new wheelset? I don't want to get into the Zyrium ES ($900) set... seems that I can get more for my buck..
I am 155lbs, looking for a lightweight set, clinchers, reliable, fast group rides, no racing, average road conditions, climbs... What can I look at spending? What are my choices?
I have heard of WIlliams Cycling and Mike Garcia wheels...Any feedback?
Let's start talking here...educate me as what to look for.
Don't be taken in by hype and slick advertising. That costs money and delivers no benefits. Get wheels that you can fix at home on a Saturday afternoon. These guys offer lots for the money. I bought a set and I've built my own for decades. Complete wheels saved me $80 on what I could buy the individiual parts for.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I am at my LBS (whom I ride with, along with his wife, etc)...he is high on American Classic 350 wheelset. Says that he has had no issues come to the shop, very light and super handling. I mentioned Williams Cycling, he has not seen any sets here on Long Island, NY. Besides what I read in the reviews...any feedback on the Amer. Classics? I will shoot some others at you as I explore....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I guess I've heard (and this is just hearsay through forums and whatnot) that the hubs on the AmClass 350's leave something to be desired; some serious problems have been had in the past.

They are a very lightweight (and decently durable) set from what I hear but I don't think I'd put my money down for them.

Equivalent performance could probably be found in a brand like ROL wheels (or some nice custom wheels from rruff, ligero, etc.) and wouldn't cost you much more at all.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
My current favorite are DT Swiss mon chasseral (pretty white wheelset) or the 1450's (dark grey version). They are light, around 1450 grams and the ride very nice. The other thing that I'm very keen on is that the spoke sizes are listed on the rim and you or your shop could repair them if anything were to go wrong. The wheelset goes for around 700-800 msrp. Anyway I think they are worth looking at if your budget goes that high.
 

· Just Riding Along
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Older bike?

If you had Heliums, it's probaly an older bike. If so, I'd be hesitant to sink a lot of $$$ into a wheelset. Apparently you had no problems with the Heliums. I'd focus on a handbuilt wheelset which would basically replicate the Heliums and save a few bucks towards the replacement bike or a factory built set like Neuvations that give a lot of value at a lower price point. Expensive wheels on an old bike just don't make sense to me.

Also, I'd investigate whether a rebuild of the Heliums could solve your problems.
 

· Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Psychler said:
I have a set of older Heliums...they are getting so that they don't stay true. It could be the rims...I could invest in a new set of rims, but I can only fit these hubs (which I like) with the original red Mavic rim...no choices.
So, why not look at a new wheelset? I don't want to get into the Zyrium ES ($900) set... seems that I can get more for my buck..
I am 155lbs, looking for a lightweight set, clinchers, reliable, fast group rides, no racing, average road conditions, climbs... What can I look at spending? What are my choices?
I have heard of WIlliams Cycling and Mike Garcia wheels...Any feedback?
Let's start talking here...educate me as what to look for.

Here's a vote for Williams. I've been riding my 30s for a year, and my only wheel lust in that time frame has been to pick up the carbon 38s for a race only wheelset. I ride on crap roads, and they are still perfectly true, definitely fast, very light, descend well, and just feel like a wheel is suppose to feel.
 

· Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Psychler said:
So, I am at my LBS (whom I ride with, along with his wife, etc)...he is high on American Classic 350 wheelset. Says that he has had no issues come to the shop, very light and super handling. I mentioned Williams Cycling, he has not seen any sets here on Long Island, NY. Besides what I read in the reviews...any feedback on the Amer. Classics? I will shoot some others at you as I explore....
I raced on AmClassic 350s three years ago. They had CXRays, and they were certainly plenty light. The hub engagement got a little bit iffy over time though. I got in a crash in a race though and BOTH wheels taco'd. Both. I couldn't believe it. It was just me vs. some off road gravel and a little 2 foot drop. Very disappointed by that, and nothing similar had ever happened to any other wheel I've owned.

I cannot say how my Williams 30s would fair in a similar crash, but I can say that they feel much, much more "sure" overall then my AmClassics did. And btw, I have met Mr.Williams many times since he provides free wheels support at races every weekend here in NorCal. Great guy. Will bend over backwards to please, and he really knows his stuff. I'm sure that he's love to talk wheels with you. I can't say that he's as "insane" as the guy from Nimble, but he definitely enjoys the jargon.
 

· Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,854 Posts
Excel Handbuilts

jderreks said:
My current favorite are DT Swiss mon chasseral (pretty white wheelset) or the 1450's (dark grey version). They are light, around 1450 grams and the ride very nice. The other thing that I'm very keen on is that the spoke sizes are listed on the rim and you or your shop could repair them if anything were to go wrong. The wheelset goes for around 700-800 msrp. Anyway I think they are worth looking at if your budget goes that high.
Excel Sports Swiss Threats are basically the same wheels as those two at a lower price. You can customize to suit your needs, I put 14/15 spokes on the drive side to add some durability. These are a nice looking pair of wheels, a little different than the traditional Open Pro builds and a good price compared to the factory wheels (be sure to adjust price for skewers).
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top