Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have some plans they would be willing to share for a display rack like this.

View attachment 126165

I would like to hang two bikes on a wall in my bedroom but I do not want to spent $100 on two of these. I am capable and have all the right tool to make them myself so I would like to save some green and build them.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
You need plans for that? There are about 6-7 pieces of wood, total. make the arms 3" x 12", with a 10" top tube support. make the wall brace 4" x 10". Use 1x pine. You can buy the helmet hook at Home Depot. The hardest part would be the cupped section of the top tube support. If you don't have a router than can do it, there are a couple of other options. One would be to go old school and chisel it out. The other way would br to use a ticker piece of wood or clams a few pieces together, and drill a 1.5" hole (10" through - need a big azz drill bit), then cut the piece lengthwise to get the final piece. The round the front a bit. If you have the tools, this thing could be made easily with scrap lumber or $5 of new lumber.

·
Registered
59 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
The hardest part would be the cupped section of the top tube support.
Or just put a couple of "V" notches in those 2 boards that stick out, pad the notches, and eliminate the curved piece all together. :idea: A filler block between those two pieces that stick out would still allow you to pass the velcro strap through the slot to secure the top tube. Yeah, I could build this in an hour with my dad's saw and a drill! :thumbsup:

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Howzitbroke said:
Looks pretty much self explanatory to me.
do you buy baseboard that is pre-curved liked that? How do you get the curve for the bike tube to fit into? Guess you could do it with a router.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
"new bikee workshop"

FatTireFred said:
$49.99 at new bikee workshop
I like it. But Norm would use eleven different power tools, representing a capital investment of about $30,000. So the price is clearly a bargain.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Suzie Green said:
Or just put a couple of "V" notches in those 2 boards that stick out, pad the notches, and eliminate the curved piece all together. :idea: A filler block between those two pieces that stick out would still allow you to pass the velcro strap through the slot to secure the top tube. Yeah, I could build this in an hour with my dad's saw and a drill! :thumbsup:
Or just drill a hole with a huge bit, then cut it in half. Maybe a little sanding to make the edges soft.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
You would use a Cove Bit with the appropriate radius for the bike tube, it would need to be pretty big to get that large and shallow cut, and a roundover bit for the other curved edges. If you don't already have the bits..... buy the racks premade since large carbide tipped bits would likely cost more than the $50 / rack price.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
do you buy baseboard that is pre-curved liked that? How do you get the curve for the bike tube to fit into? Guess you could do it with a router.
"How do you get the curve for the bike tube to fit into?" use a piece of PVC tubing, large diameter, buy scrap from home depot. have home depot cut in half or use a hack saw. Countersink some screws on the frame side of PVC tubing into the wooden arms and then glue your cloth to cover it up. paint the tubes to match the wood.

G

·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Run it on a bias over a shallow table saw blade.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
bsmith29 said:
Does anybody have some plans they would be willing to share for a display rack like this.
If you need plans for that, I am going to take yer tool license away.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
JCavilia said:
I like it. But Norm would use eleven different power tools, representing a capital investment of about $30,000. So the price is clearly a bargain.

that price is for plans only... if you're lucky, Norm might sell you the mdf prototype for a deal

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
you might be able to find a piece of crown moulding at Home Depot that already has a similar cove cut, then just buy a foot of it. The idea of 1.5" pvc, sliced and screwed into place, with a pad over it, is good. As with any piece of material that your frame will rest on, make sure you counter sink flathead screws and put a pad over the whole thing.

Of course, you could just put a piece of pipe insulation over your top tube and have that just sit on a flat piece of wood (no need for the cove cut). Just a lip on the edge of the arms to keep it from sliding off.

Here you go. buy yourself a foot of this cove moulding and mount it flat side down

·
Registered
934 Posts
The top tube support looks like pretty standard chair railing (molding) you can get at home depot, with a piece of felt glued to it after it is screwed to the rails.

The helmet hook could be made with a dowel and an unfinished cabinet knob, though it wouldn't look as nice.

I assume the three pieces in back are just glued together as no screws show.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Find a better design.

That so-special cradle that everyone is trying to emulate will mess up your top tube, by driving the brake cable into it and scratching it all to hell.

Make the arms a tiny bit longer with a bit of a swale in 'em (something any jig or coping saw can do) then hang the bike by the nose rail of the saddle, as done for tri transitions. Or you could simply make them out of closet rod or pipe of your choice, then add something to keep the bike from sliding off the end.

Easier to do, and leaves the bike at an arty angle on the wall.

edit: If you really want your bikes horizontal (and in this day of sloping top tubes...) you can by all means have a workable cradle by routing a square (3/4" will do fine)groove in the crosspiece. The top tube will sit on the edges, which owing to the length is plenty of surface area. The brake cable will ride either inside or outside the groove, but will not be forced into contact with the TT. Pad it with felt, rubber, etc., of course.

Or, move the two arm pieces to sit to the outside edges of the wall piece, and simply notch them in whatever way holds the bike on and doesn't cause cable problems. The crosspiece is not needed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's gonna take up wall space anyway, so instead of all the bother, why not simply lean it up against the bedroom wall. :idea:

For years I wedged mine against the dresser and nightstand, and if I squinted just right in the morning, I could see the alarm clock through the front wheel. If I got lucky, a spoke blade made 8 AM look like 6 AM and I could go back to sleep. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.