Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my problem. First I am a semi-poor college student who doesn't want to spend 200 dollars on new tires. I think the most I want to spend is about 35-50$$ each tire. Secondly, I'm not looking for a super sticky road tire that is going to wear out in under 500 miles. I am looking for something to last a while. I have narrowed it down to a few tire and need some help selecting the finals one!!!!!!

First; Continental Grand Prix 4000
Pros: Long Life, Colors options, Kevlar, girlfriend has them and loves them, weight, roll-resistance.
Cons: Price!!! :(
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=COG4K

Second: Michelin Krylion Carbon Tire

Pros: Long life, Price is great!
Cons: Maybe not as good as the Continentals, I know nothing about there tires.
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=MIKRC

Third: Vittoria Rubino Pro II Road Tire

Pros: Price, High miles,
Cons: Never heard any reviews, non-Kevlar. Roll-resistance, weight.
http://biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=VIRP2

So basically, I need some help! I would greatly appreciate it! Are the Conti's worth the 55 dollars or are the Michelin that are on sale a better deal.???? I just want something that last long, and doesn't:) puncture easily!

THANKS!!!!
Andy

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can only give a :thumbsup: to the Vittoria Rubino's as thats what came on my bike and I continue to ride as well. I have run over some nasty things with them and hit some ugly bumps and they have held up great. Also the do have Kevlar in them according to the website, see below.

new 'Kevlar Endura 3D Compound', with high duration and exciting road-behaviour;
- PRB puncture protection;

Since cost is an issue, you might want to try ProBikeKit.com. Approximate prices (shipped) for the models you listed are:

Continental 4000 - $33
Michelin Krylion - $25
Vittoria Rubino Pro II - $20

All of these tires seem to have a good reputation on this site. You probably cannot go wrong with any of the selected models.

Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks! Maybe I'm just over thinking the tire issue. I have a pair of stock crappy bonterages on mine right now. They have about 550 miles and are starting to get small cracks from rocks(not crack rocks :))

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GRRRRRRRR! I got hosed! That website looks great! BUT it's bought in GBP(aka the pound).

So I started to order both tires and it was £33.92. Then you have to covert that to USD.
The weak ass dollar has an exchange rate of 1.945... So it would be close to 70 dollars plus shipping from UK and the CC charges a small fee for purchasing in the pound!

Almost a great deal! :) :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've tried the Rubino Pro's and the Krylion's and, even though I only have a couple hundred miles on them, I'd recommend the Krylion's.

I just got a pair of GP4000S's for a new bike, but haven't mounted them yet.

On PBK just click the little box in the top left of the screen and it changes to dollars. Usually the shipping is fast and free, and I think they classify it as a gift (or something like that) so that you don't have to pay duties on it (in the U.S).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Roadhead said:
GRRRRRRRR! I got hosed! That website looks great! BUT it's bought in GBP(aka the pound).

So I started to order both tires and it was £33.92. Then you have to covert that to USD.
The weak ass dollar has an exchange rate of 1.945... So it would be close to 70 dollars plus shipping from UK and the CC charges a small fee for purchasing in the pound!

Almost a great deal! :) :)
Shipping is free to the US and you will not find a better price on tires anywhere, even with the current exchange rate.

How is it you got hosed?

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
I buy my Vittoria Rubino Pro's from PBK.com. Best deal I have ever found on tires. They also carry Conti Gatorskin Ultras in the 23 folders for about $25 (US). One thing to keep in mind. You won't get your merchandise super fast. I normally have a couple extra tires sitting on the shelf so when I need a new one I don't have to wait.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i also liked the vittorias... conti 4k are race only IMO, didn't last long + expensive = annoying... supple tho (which also means it cuts easy !)

i'm locked into the rubino pros now, love em... also race on them... too easy!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like was said above, you need to click on the american flag to change the currency and you should be fine. Takes + or - 5 days to get here, no shipping charges, but your CC might charge a small fee for the conversion. Got the folloing email today:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continental Ultra Sport Kevlar

RRP $36.88
SAVE 51.42%
NOW ONLY $19.44
Offer ends midnight Monday 19th May GMT!

Tough tyre for long days in the saddle, and great value for money! ?
This is Continental value at its best. A new attractive tread design makes this new addition to our Ultra race tyre family a real alternative to your bikes original equipment (OE) tyres.

The standard 3ply casing construction is supplemented with an additional kevlar belt for great puncture protection.

This diverse tyre can be used for the club runs in the depths of winter or the reliability rides in the summer thanks to Conti's resiliant carbon compound which also delivers great wet grip.

Great value for money all round road bike tyre
With 4 plies underneath the tread including kevlar
Special tread design for optimum adhesion directional stability and high speed cornering
700x23 size available in wire or folding bead
Long service life due to deeper tread
Continental quality for an assured ride
Confidence inspiring ride marked by excellent handling, especially on rough road surfaces

TYRE COLOUR DIMENSIONS (IMPERIAL) DIMENSIONS (ETRTO) WEIGHT INFLATION PSI BEAD COMPATIBILITY
Ultra Sport Kevlar Black 700x23 23-622 270g 110-120 Folding Clincher Wheels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.