Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a lot of chafing where my left leg meets my gernapa. That is technially known as the space between my bunghole and sack. I love my saddle, i've tried new shorts with better pads. I even use chammy butter. I need ideas.. If I ride longer than about 2 hours I'm one hurting unit. BTW I have no numbness in other areas, if fact i have no other pain except that area where my leg and gernappa meet.

Ideas??

Also sorry for all the spelling mistakes.

DM

·
Registered
413 Posts
I found that when I bought shorts that were a little too big for me that I had more problems with chafing. I have a 34" waist. Depending on what size chart one is using it's either a large or a medium. I use to buy the large figuring that my weight fluctuates in response to my exercise and eating habits, but noway will my waist go below 34 inches. Well, one day I needed to buy new shorts and I said to myself that if I buy the medium it could act as a reminder to watch my eating intake. Lo and behold when the first time I used the medium size I noticed that the fit was really snug but during the ride sweat dissipation in the butt and thigh area was significantly improved. Also the "non stationary parts" were being less affected.

·
T.R., conservationist
239 Posts
I've been fighting a very similar saddle sore after my mileage increased significantly about six weeks ago. Finally, the resolution I've found is lowering my saddle height about 7mm and stop using my Pearl Izumi shorts. I also had Chamois Butter which seemed a little thinner than the Assos Chamois Creme so I am going back to the Assos product.
Good luck.
Jerry

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
What a diversity of opinions. My strong suspicion was that you were on slightly too wide a saddle. Especially if this is on the side of your dominant leg, seriously.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are all good tips. I'll try lowering. Also I do have a leg length discrepancy. My left leg is shorter than my right. My right leg is the stronger of the two.

I have an old flite that is laying around. Maybe i'll give that a try too. I know it's a little slimmer through the nose.

DM

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,015 Posts
Gurnapa

I can't wait to use that word in polite conversation.

Sry about your bunghole...sounds like your pelvis is off cant, per your leg length discrepancy. Do you use a cycling specific orthotic?

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Rollo Tommassi said:
I can't wait to use that word in polite conversation.

Sry about your bunghole...sounds like your pelvis is off cant, per your leg length discrepancy. Do you use a cycling specific orthotic?
That is good advice, a proper othotic and shimming under the shorter leg, aloong with a slightly lower seat position may do the trick. Given your issues, a professional bike fitting may be a wise investment.

:)

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
ditto on lowering your saddle...

I used to have the same problem when I used my San Marco Rolls or Regal. These are wide saddles (148 and 150). Try lowering your saddle just a tad, it might just take a couple of mm's. I also dropped the nose a little. I am currently using my Rolls and since I have done this no more problems. Of course if the saddle is too wide for you for starters then you might have to go to a narrower saddle. The key for saddles is the shape and amount of padding..you should be able to ride with out even having to think about your saddle, it should just be there..a two bolt seat post will help you get the angle, I start our level and tweak while on rides, a slight degree in tilt make a big difference..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.