Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I just had a question for all of you experienced riders out there... I am currently considering purchasing a bike from Bikesdirect.com and wanted to know if anyone out there has any feedback for me.

I am considering the 2004 Motobecane Gigi, and since this is my first bike I want to make sure that A. I'm not buying a dud, and B. I'm getting the right size.

I have tried to contact bikesdirect.com myself, but have yet to hear from them. With that said any feedback that you all have would help me out a bunch...

Thanks!!:)

J

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
J, it is almost impossible to have personal contact with bikesdirect. No phone number, no address, no nothing. There are a few people who have had positive experiences here with them. Some people have posted that when they got their bike in from bikesdirect, they had to take it in to their local bike shop to get things tightened down and such.

Most posters here, myself included would encourage you to buy from someone else. If you have a good bike shop in your area, give them a try. You will get personalized service, a pretty decent deal and maybe make a few new friends.

· Registered
704 Posts
See above, this outfit only exists to sell to you. Customer service - doubt if they can spell it. Interest in you after the sale - nil. If they won't answer your questions before you've bought, do you honestly imagine they'll be interested afterwards?

Spend some time on checking out bike shops in your area. FInd one you like, and hopefully one with an adult who understands bike fitting - too many apparently decent shops employ the cheapest labour going (how unusual!) and all too often, these kids know little about bikes.

If this is your first bike, don't go crazy on spending, because this is the bike that will be teaching you about your position on a bike, how to ride and all the other stuff that comes along with being a newbie. Don't be worried about asking questions here - we've all been newbie riders at some point (though for some of us, it's so long ago, we might have trouble remembering it ;) )

Take it easy, research plenty and sit on your wallet until you're happy with your intended purchase. Sorry if that path is low on instant gratification, but a badly fitted bike of the wrong sort will soon put you off cycling and leave you out of its price as well.

Hope that helps

Dereck

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
il sogno said:
Most posters here, myself included would encourage you to buy from someone else. If you have a good bike shop in your area, give them a try. You will get personalized service, a pretty decent deal and maybe make a few new friends.
yup..I agree...if you were an experienced rider that knew exactly what they wanted and how to do most of your own repairs and such I'd say go for it, but a first time buyer can benefit greatly by buying a bike from a GOOD local bike shop. Worst case...you'll order a bike that doesn't fit and no amount of fiddling can fix it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your thoughts...

My bf is a experienced cyclist of about 3ish years and has been "coaching" me along the way on what to buy, and from where... he is the one who actually found this deal.

The bike itself has Shimano Tiagra and 105 components... I'll attach a link to the bike for you to look at.

In regards to my LBS.. yeah it's a peice of sh*t... The feeling that I got when I was in there 3 days ago was that I knew more about the bikes than what they did. When I asked them questions about a bike that I was interested in the owner of all people needed to look up the info in a book (and it was very basic info.) So... basically I trust them about as far as I can throw 'em.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
Can you find another LBS? I've been riding since the 80s and I have always done my own fitting, but when it came time to get my wife a bike a few years back, I took her to a good LBS that does fitting well rather than do it myself. Not to say that your boyfriend won't do good job (or that I wouldn't have for that matter) but I didn't want to take a chance on my fitting experience only applying to me.

Since then I have helped her fine-tune her position, and that's worked well. Me, well I just today received a Pedal Force frame to replace the Airborne that I decided is too long. The original Airborne was fine for four years, the warranty replacement was fine for a year, until three months ago when I figured out that it's just too long. Maybe I shrunk? Maybe my fitting "experience" is krap?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Jesabelle529 said:
Thanks for your thoughts...

My bf is a experienced cyclist of about 3ish years and has been "coaching" me along the way on what to buy, and from where... he is the one who actually found this deal.

The bike itself has Shimano Tiagra and 105 components... I'll attach a link to the bike for you to look at.

In regards to my LBS.. yeah it's a peice of sh*t... The feeling that I got when I was in there 3 days ago was that I knew more about the bikes than what they did. When I asked them questions about a bike that I was interested in the owner of all people needed to look up the info in a book (and it was very basic info.) So... basically I trust them about as far as I can throw 'em.
if you have no good LBS then yeah buying online might be the best option. No benefit in giving your money to a local shop if they are idiots.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your ideas... I actually called another bike shop with a good rep that is in Deleware, ohio (about 45ish minutes away) and talked to a sales rep for about 30 minutes on the phone.

I am going to head there monday morning since I don't work until later in the afternoon and he's going to help me with my sizing, and choosing the right bike.

So after all of this, I think that I'm just going to give in a make the 45minute trip to columbus and get one... One major downfall to living in BFE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.