Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a really clean older Miyata road bike, and I want to make it a single speed bike, and I dont have tons of money to put into it, it has 27" wheels on it and a 5 speed freewheel, Suntour, I have seen ss kits on the net but I dont think they will work with the wheels I have, etc.

So is there anyway I can make this work with the stock wheels?

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
motomike894 said:
I just got a really clean older Miyata road bike, and I want to make it a single speed bike, and I dont have tons of money to put into it, it has 27" wheels on it and a 5 speed freewheel, Suntour, I have seen ss kits on the net but I dont think they will work with the wheels I have, etc.

So is there anyway I can make this work with the stock wheels?

Any help would be great, thanks.
Several ways:

cheapest is just use the existing gears. remove derailleurs, pick a ring and cog that give you a decent chainline and an acceptable gear ratio, and there you go. You'll be carrying some extra cogs, and you may not like the way that looks, but it will be a SS that works.

For a few bucks more you can buy a SS freewheel, thread off the 5-speed, thread on the 1-speed, and there you go. You'll probably have to re-space the axle to get a good chainline, and then re-dish the wheel, but that's not hard.
More detailed info here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts