Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've decided on my first road bike. I went with the '08 Madone 5.2 Performance Fit in the black/white/grey scheme-- understated and beautiful IMHO. I pick it up Monday. Today I got equipped with a silver/grey Bell sweep XC helmet, some Sidi Genius 5 shoes (I love these already, I just bought some Sidi Vertigo motorcycle boots at Christmas and I was more than happy to add another pair of Sidis to the stable, sooo comfortable and they look great, excellent materials/craftsmanship), bottle, and bottle holder. I now need to figure out what pedals to put on the bike and what cycle computer I'd like to get. Sooooo, any experience/advice on what pedal set or cycle computer you'd recommend? My local shop has a pair of '08 Ultegra pedals that are marked down to $100. That seems like a good deal but I don't want to buy without doing some research first---suggestions? Computer? Pedals?

Thanks!

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Ultegra Pedals are good. Especially for around $100.

But check out the Look Keo pedals also. They make a pair that is around $100 also.

As for computers, try and go wireless. Running wires is no fun, especially if you are looking at a one with cadence. Or you could even go GPS with a Garmin, depending on how deep your pockets are.

I like the Garmin 605 and this http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/461

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Why did you get helmet with a visor for a road bike?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
As far as computers go, unless you want or need special functions like heart rate or GPS, go with something inexpensive. Bike computers are a lot like digital watches. Even the cheap ones work great. Wireless are much more trouble prone, I'd stick with the wired ones. Why do people seem to have such a problem running a wire for what- 12 inches? come on, a little time and electrical tape and it's neat, reliable and cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frdfandc said:
Ultegra Pedals are good. Especially for around $100.

But check out the Look Keo pedals also. They make a pair that is around $100 also.

As for computers, try and go wireless. Running wires is no fun, especially if you are looking at a one with cadence. Or you could even go GPS with a Garmin, depending on how deep your pockets are.

I like the Garmin 605 and this http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/461
I did like the look of the Keos, they had those as well.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
cyclust said:
As far as computers go, unless you want or need special functions like heart rate or GPS, go with something inexpensive. Bike computers are a lot like digital watches. Even the cheap ones work great. Wireless are much more trouble prone, I'd stick with the wired ones. Why do people seem to have such a problem running a wire for what- 12 inches? come on, a little time and electrical tape and it's neat, reliable and cheap.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbsup: On one of our usual club ride routes there's a gas station where we stop to get ice, water, etc. Almost without fail somebody's wireless computer will register 40+ mph when the bike is leaning against the building. This has happened to several folks with wireless computers. Maybe it's just that one spot, but it's enough to convince me to stay with wired computers. I use Vettas. Can't remember what model, but they're around $15 or less.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Garmin Edge 705

Shimano Dura Ace 7810 pedals (though new Ultegras are also very solid)

i had a pair of Keo's break 2x - personally think shimano more reliable.

·
Registered
788 Posts
cohiba7777 said:
Garmin Edge 705

Shimano Dura Ace 7810 pedals (though new Ultegras are also very solid)

i had a pair of Keo's break 2x - personally think shimano more reliable.
+1 Keo's wear much faster than shimano imo . Get Dura Ace if you can find a nice price . If not, Ultegra is good to go :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the Ultegras--yes they are the ones with the plastic plates, but I have an extra set already in the box so I'm good to go for quite a while. They feel great and look great on the bike! Thanks to everyone for the help, you guys have been more than gracious. I have my new ride sitting there waiting for me downstairs. Now I need to go to Performance and get some winter riding pants--it's freezing here right now. I think I'll look there for a decent wired computer as well. I'm not convinced I want wireless anymore-I hear of too many problems with them.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just got some 105 pedals. PD-5610. They're great. From what I understand not much difference from the Ultegra except for weight. Sounds like a good price too.

+1 for the Cateye Strada Wireless. I've had no problems with the wireless. I don't like running a cable for 12 inches b/c I don't like the look.
As everyone else has said, decide what you need and buy accordingly.

Congrats on the bike!

·
Registered
832 Posts
+1 here as well for the Cateye Strada Wireless. Easy to install and program. Accurate and very easy to use while rolling. To change menus - say from speedometer to odometer - you just push the bottom of the unit in.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
computer -> go wired. Wireless get disturbed by high power lines and various other electrical things, especially when the transmitter battery tends to get weak.

Cheap computers will work perfectly fine, it depends mostly on what quantities you want displayed and how big you like them displayed. For me, a computer that has an altimeter is a requirement. Now using the Ciclomaster 215A. Similarly, decide if you want cadence or not, heart rate and whatnot.

Mount the computer on the stem, saves you some space for the hands on the handlebars.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Pierre said:
computer -> go wired. Wireless get disturbed by high power lines and various other electrical things, especially when the transmitter battery tends to get weak.

Cheap computers will work perfectly fine, it depends mostly on what quantities you want displayed and how big you like them displayed. For me, a computer that has an altimeter is a requirement. Now using the Ciclomaster 215A. Similarly, decide if you want cadence or not, heart rate and whatnot.

Mount the computer on the stem, saves you some space for the hands on the handlebars.
+1
I always tell me friends to get wired . I used to run into all kinds of trouble in the past when I was wireless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts