Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to go with the buyback option and I don't want to talk about the bath I'm taking on it. But I can't find any thing that I like that I can afford. I should add that my car is a 6sp manual and most cars that I can afford can't be had anymore with one. I have looked at the new Honda Civic Hatch and I really like it and I can get it in a manual. But carrying bikes could be an issue. I like the Sport with the center exhaust so no rear rack. And no one makes a roof rack for it yet. I am also not totally convinced it has enough space. Also I moved an hour from work and they won't let me drive the company truck home any more, so I have to transport my tools back and forth every day too.
So stick with me this is ware things go off the rails a little. The mountain biking is really good down near work and the riding here is about a half hour away, so I have to drive anyway to go ride. I kind of have a mild interest in getting a van. Lets face it most of the SUVs on the market are starting to look like them anyway just with less utility and no sliding doors. I love the idea of being able to keep my bike inside and just taking it with me all the time. I keep looking at the Ford Transit Connect and the Ram Promaster City just because I feel like the all utility box shape makes them a lot more like a Honda Element then a normal mini van. But they are really expensive for what you get and used mini vans are plentiful and allot nicer to drive. Tell me I haven't lost my mind what single guy drives a mini van every day? I actually have a friend that dally drives a Honda Odyssey and had it before he met his girlfriend and had a kid. We would take it mountain bike races all the time and it was totally the perfect setup for trips that were a few hours away.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Odyssey Touring for the win.
They drive like a caddy, plenty of space, great sound system, mid 20's hwy mileage, and don't draw attention flying in the left lane of highways like sportier cars do.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
I got a Kia van after getting rid of my last car about 15 yrs ago. Best move I ever made, I can go to a movie, out to dinner, etc. and never worry about the bike on the back of my car..... peace of mind, it is great. They get good mileage if you don't try and hot rod them around. Forget about the 'sport' driving, but I have a couple of moto's and bikes for driving 'action'.

Throw a cushion & sleeping bag in the back, you could go to work, go riding, go eat and just hit the van without going home, then just go to work again the next day and save 2 hours of driving.....

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I've been trying to convince my lovely wife that the Mazda5 (mini-minivan) is cool--but apparently it has been dropped as of 2015... I'd hoped it would get the Skyactive treatment like the 3s, but apparently the money is in the CX5 (higher, fits less but it is a SUV--doh!)

Someone here (Safe-T?) has been on the minivan kick for years--but my objection (at least to the new Sienna that I had for a loaner) is that they are friggin' huge!

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
The Odyssey is good for many thing, other than looking cool. It is very much worth considering for lots of people, and many cyclists like them a lot.

Do you need to be talked into it? Sounds like you want to be.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
What is your budget? Also the new Pilot is pert near the size of the Odyssey but looks much better and is pretty snappy to drive.

The wife just bought a Honda HR-V which is cavernous in the cargo area for it's size, but most likely too small for your use.

·
Registered
829 Posts
VW GTI, manual, can fit a bike inside no problem, although the wheel needs to be turned 90°. You can also probably get at last $500 extra from VW for returning to the brand

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
VW GTI, manual, can fit a bike inside no problem, although the wheel needs to be turned 90°. You can also probably get at last $500 extra from VW for returning to the brand
But you'll have to pop for premium petrol, a $.60/gal up charge where I live. It's the reason I didn't buy a GTI earlier this year.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Tell me I haven't lost my mind what single guy drives a mini van every day?
I've read a few rankings of best vehicles for bidness time, and a minivan usually makes the list. Not because you want to get freaky in one, but because you can.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
VW Routan - the rebadged Chrysler minivan. Better interior, better suspension. Made in the same factory. Used, about $2k less than the Chrylser badged models.

My problem with the Honda, besides the price premium for being a Honda, is that the interior roof height is pretty low and my MTB can barely fit in the Chrysler as it is.

Bring a tape measure.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Also: chicks dig minivans. It's the automotive equivalent of a guy with a dog, or a dad with his kids at the park. Instant panty dropper. Especially when you casually mention the air mattress fits perfectly in the back.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My friends have an Odyssey and I think it's awesome. It actually looks kinda sporty and it hauls tons of people. We use it to go to concerts because it's stealthy, passengers can get pretty well loaded during the drive...

What is the situation with your Sportwagon / buyback? I think we're going to get a new Alltrack within the next year but our VW dealer has a REALLY nice 2015 Sportwagon TDI on the lot right now.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
My wife and I bought an Odyssey before my first kid was born. That was 13 years ago and I'm still driving the thing. I'd consider getting another one if this one ever dies. I did the timing belt replacement last year, so hopefully it'll last a few more years. I don't drive a lot.

Aside from hauling kids, its great for hauling bikes -- I can stick two road bikes in the back with only the third seat down. Just roll them in. I don't even have to remove the wheels. I put a 4'x8'x3" piece of thermo board in it last night.

My wife drives a newer Acrura MDX. It's a nice car -- basically a jazzed up Honda Pilot. It doesn't have nearly the space that the Odyssey has, plus the gas mileage sucks and it needs premium gas. It's comfortable and drives nice though.

Yeah, every other house in my neighborhood has one parked in the driveway, and it does handle like a boat, but it sure is handy for hauling stuff around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am selling my sportwagen back and planning on an Outback at this time. Unless I go half ton truuck

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
So I decided to go with the buyback option and I don't want to talk about the bath I'm taking on it. But I can't find any thing that I like that I can afford. I should add that my car is a 6sp manual and most cars that I can afford can't be had anymore with one. .
Outback. The base model is a fantastic deal, imho (though a better deal in Canada where I am than the US). I almost bought one last year, and likely will buy one in a year or three to replace my 04 Pathfinder.

no 5 sp manual option, but why do you really need it with the efficiency of modern CVT?

I agree that minivans are a great tool for bike racers. Had friends who used them for races and envied them stuffing 4 bikes in whole, with four guys and gear. We did manage to put 4 mtn bikes (in pieces) and four guys all inside my Volvo 245 wagon long ago, but it was not easy .. however I think even the modern Volvo XC70 has more room inside than the Outback or most SUV. Also put 4 road bikes behind the back seat of our old Pathfinder last year (in pieces). Minivan trumps all those for carrying bikes inside.

though turbo V8 is the way to eat up interstate miles fast... from our recent trip to AZ. (wish I had the Outback instead, still, as then we could fit a hitch rack unlike this car)

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
You should probably throw out a price range.. as for me.. I went from a C63 to this.. not the most powerful, but fun to drive (literally like a go kart), all wheel drive, manual 6 speed (shifts are short and have a good solid feel). Wife is 6'1 and can sit behind me in the drivers seat with no issue. A lot more roomy than it appears.
Motor vehicle Tire Automotive mirror Vehicle Land vehicle
Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm still grappling with the "have to get rid of the Sportwagen" statement. Is it just the guilt of driving something that pollutes more than advertised or is there some other factor driving the OP's decision to get rid of a car he seems otherwise happy with?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I'm still grappling with the "have to get rid of the Sportwagen" statement. Is it just the guilt of driving something that pollutes more than advertised or is there some other factor driving the OP's decision to get rid of a car he seems otherwise happy with?

My guess.. the depreciation of the entire VW brand over the diesel scandal.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
or the OP is like me: wandering eye for something new and different, opportunity to do it cheaply fell in his lap

1 - 20 of 71 Posts