Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just feel fresh these days. My old deodorant ain't cutting the mustard and I smell like a herd of yak when I get home these days from my rides. I don't smell so prettty. :blush2:

So fellow loungers, what do you use for pit juice so you don't get relegated to the end of the pace line?

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Just please don't wear anything with any kid of scent... some dude in our Tuesday nighters must come straight from his afternoon quickie because he just reeks of cologne... and when you're on the rivet, a whiff of that stuff just totally burns the lungs.

Instead, try washing your jersey occasionally, and eating healthier and sweating more...

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Speedstick or Mennen have always worked great for me.

I've recently discovered that baselayers are amazing for this - post-race, my jerseys don't smell very strongly at all if I raced in a baselayer. The baselayer doesn't smell amazing, but I thing the presence of a baselayer does lower the horrible-stench factor

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts

Works wonders for me. I believe I also converted KenB and Roebuck.

Should be able to find it at Mothers or any kind of hippie food store.

joe

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Why do you care about how you smell after you come home from a ride? Just take a shower and put your bibs and jersey in the washing machine asap.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Pit sauce: Usually Speed Stick, because it's about the only non-anti-perspirant deodorant that's reliably available at my local Safeway. I don't do anti-perspirants.

Anti-stink: I usually throw my jersey in the shower while the water is warming up, then give it a little more detailed rinse and wring, then hang it on the drying rack we have for bike clothes. Rinsing while the jersey is still wet from the ride makes it possible to wait and wash it later without the jersey (or baselayer) getting the perma-stank in the meantime.

·
Tactle-neck
865 Posts
I have never applied deodorant before a ride, but I have been been called out on pit smell. I always shower after a ride and apply it then. For my normal day to day adventures though sociery I use:

Old Spice: Pure sport scent.

Corny name, I know, but it gets the job done.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Andrea138 said:
If you have XY chromosomes, then that smell coming out of your sweat glands is considered what a "man" smells like. Whatever you rub on your pits to cover up that smell is what chemicals smell like.
This.

With regular showers and clean clothes, there's no need for chemicals.

Shaved pits helps too.

Cologne is different: not to cover up but to enhance. But use it very sparingly. A couple of drops is all you need.

Oh... and all of this holds for the XX allotype too, ATMO.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Old Spice

The only thing that i wear at all.Cheap and effective.

also considering that i sweat like the proverbial working girl in a house of the lord probably doesn't help.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
Fredke said:
With regular showers and clean clothes, there's no need for chemicals.
Some expert commentary:
VeloNews: Are the guys sweaty and smelly on stage?

Jen Caudill:
I get this question mostly from women and it amuses me to think what must be running through their minds as they watch podium presentations. Most of the time the guys are completely clean when they get onto the stage. They don’t smell bad. Honestly, as I’ve experienced from being in a relationship with one of these athletes — they rarely have body odor after a long, hard ride. I guess they sweat so much and flush so many fluids that they rarely have toxin build-up. That’s my theory, anyway.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I am likin' teh Swagger

Old Spice Sweat Defense. It is an anti perspirent, not a deodorant. My pits have been dry since trying it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts