Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 27" wheels on my Schwinn Traveler, and while I eventually plan to change to 700 wheels, I feel that the wheels I have are in good shape. I would like a wider slick tire than 1.25", though. I have not yet been able to find any listed online at the stores I am familiar with. Does anyone have any suggestions? Based on what I can observe, taking into account the frame and brakes, I think I could fit 1.5 or even 1.75 tires.

(Explanation: I rent a house located on a farm, and have a dirt driveway and lanes. My daughter is learning to ride her little bike, and I would like to be able to dink around the farm with her as far away as possible from the road while she is learning.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried HarrisCyclery.net?

They show some 27in. tires on their website, but the widest is 1 and 3/8 in. and they are not slicks. But, perhaps they would know where you might locate what you want. I sent a couple of e-mails to Sheldon Brown at Harris Cyclery about a 70s Raleigh that I have. He responded very promptly to my inquiries. I have no afiliation with them and this not an advertisement. I just know they have a supply of older parts. Good luck!:p

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you want wider tires for better grip or for puncture resistance on the dirt roads?

If it helps, I run 27" x 1.25" Specialized Armadillos on my grocery/beer bike, and I ride it on dirt and gravel paths without any problems. I get decent grip, as long as I keep the speed relatively low and don't make any severe turns. I too wanted wider 27" tires, but the ones I chose work just fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need a more stable "footprint" for our lanes, as most of them are sand. Probably I would be better served just to get a junker MTB with knobbies. The 1.25 Kenda tires currently on the bike roll fairly well on hardpack or in the yard, but when I hit the sand, I sink in to the spokes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
slowmo1 said:
I need a more stable "footprint" for our lanes, as most of them are sand. Probably I would be better served just to get a junker MTB with knobbies. The 1.25 Kenda tires currently on the bike roll fairly well on hardpack or in the yard, but when I hit the sand, I sink in to the spokes.
Through trial and error, I haven't found anything that really works well in sand. Even with 2.0" or 2.2" MTB tires, I lose traction easily.

You might be better off with a MTB or MTB tire nonetheless. If you're looking into it, a Redline 29er might work for you as it's reasonably priced, and you can switch out wide knobbies to Cyclo-x, or road tires. It's a singlespeed, which may or may not be to your liking.

A cheap solution might be to get a 700c wheelset, and try running cyclo-x tires; I have a feeling though that you'll see only a marginal improvement in grip, and you'll wind up spending the same amount you would on a new inexpensive MTB. The folks over on MTBR may have more advice on sand cycling for you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.