Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered 3 items from Amazon on Thursday of last week. 2 of the items weren't from Amazon but from outside vendors. The third I realized later, was being 'fulfilled by Amazon'. The first two items shipped that very afternoon (since the order was @ 0700), one of which delivered that Saturday (a little surprised since it was economy shipping for all three). The second arrived this afternoon, exactly as predicted. The one from Amazon however still hasn't even shipped yet.:nonod:

Once again I fell into the no prime/crappy service trap. I refuse to pay for good service, since that should already be included in the price. Note to self; remember to check who the actual seller/fulfillment company is before ordering from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have only had slow shipping from non-amazon/non-fulfilled by amazon companies.

All my amazon prime stuff is surprisingly fast. I have ordered several different things at 1 or 2 am and received them that same afternoon or evening. They even deliver on Sundays. I do live in a land of way too many people and a couple nearby amazon storage/shipping facilities. I doubt most other areas get this consistent order fulfillment.

I have noticed that some fulfilled by amazon/amazon stuff does not ship until the day you get it. Amazon has its own delivery fleet. So, it may not say shipped until the day you will get it.

·
Cycling Addict
5,170 Posts
You failed to notice that he was commenting on non-Amazon Prime service. Apparently, they are punishing those who refuse to pay extra for their service by not shipping their product in a timely manner.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Non-Prime orders are only slow if you go with the free shipping. I realize free shipping is a nice perk and I use it most of the time but, if I need something in a timely manner, I choose one of the other shipping options. The number of times I find myself needing to do that in an average year still makes it cheaper than paying for Prime for me. So I'd agree that they don't punish you for not using Prime, they reward Prime members for paying for the service... what they punish you for is using the free shipping option.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Are they punishing those who do not pay for the service or rewarding those who do?
agree. I am super cheap so I almost always go with free shipping. I don't see anything wrong with prioritizing orders for folks that paid for shipping. Even with free shipping I usually get the stuff within a week

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I always click the Prime button on the left and I'll gladly pay a bit extra for something that won't ship "expected ship date 4-1 to 4-17" or whatever.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Talk about first world problems. I pay for Prime, and I can usually get a discount deal through IGN ($73 instead of $99), but even at full price I still think it's worth it. About 95% of the things I buy qualify for Prime shipping, and on top of that I get movie/TV streaming like Netflix.

OP, you call it a "crappy service trap", but why should you get priority over someone who pays for shipping? Plus, neither Amazon nor any retailer has to offer a free shipping option because it still costs money to use the parcel delivery services. Super-saver free (and slow) shipping is a way they entice customers to buy, and frankly it's not that slow. Whenever I order something from Newegg with their super-saver free shipping it says 5-7 business days, but my orders typically don't take that long.

Remember back in the day when you had to drive 50-100 miles to a store to get the item that you can now have hand delivered to you front door? Good grief, man.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
agree. I am super cheap so I almost always go with free shipping. I don't see anything wrong with prioritizing orders for folks that paid for shipping. Even with free shipping I usually get the stuff within a week
Me. too, and usually faster. The last time I ordered something with free shipping they quoted the usual 5-7 business days, and it arrived in 3 days.

It's amazing how people's expectations can generate these complaints. OP ordered something less than 5 days ago, with economy shipping, and he's kvetching. I figure if I need it fast, I've got to pay more, either for premium shipping or finding it locally. First world problems, indeed.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part of my kvetch comes from their expected delivery date. I used to work for the USPS and I can promise you that unless the shipper and receiver live within 100 miles of each other, the system (except for express shipping) will not allow you to mail something on the 1st and be delivered on the 2nd. If they had said that shipping would be delayed unless you use Prime, I wouldn't like it but at least you'd know up front.

I also won't use Prime since the 2 day shipping doesn't include p,o, boxes (which I use since I live in a very rural area) and have no interest in Netflix. Yep it is a first world problem, but this is the first world.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Are they punishing those who do not pay for the service or rewarding those who do?
Careful. This sounds dangerously close to dividing by 0... :)

OP, you're either paying for Prime up front, or paying for 2-day shipping on the back end. Otherwise, if you choose free shipping, as with most things, you get what you pay for... or don't pay for...

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If they had said that shipping would be delayed unless you use Prime, I wouldn't like it but at least you'd know up front.
Again, just based on my experience, I don't think they delay your order strictly for not using Prime. The delay comes when you use the free shipping option. I've never used Prime and I've never had an order delayed when I've paid for faster shipping. I just very rarely have the need to rush anything so I don't use the upgraded shipping options very often. If I did, I'd probably just sign up for Prime.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I feel like we had this EXACT beef against Amazon non-prime a year or so ago.

I can now order something by noon and get it to my door by 8PM same day. Prime is the shizz, too bad everything is more expensive when you choose Amazon prime as the seller. Womp Womp, but I try to block it out of my psyche and keep paying.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I have Prime but will often pick the no hurry option and get a free song download. I think, in general, our package delivery process in the US, not even considering Amazon prime is pretty remarkable. I shipped a set of bike pedals across the continent on a Saturday, USPS, paid $7, delivered on Tuesday. It is pretty rare that I receive a package longer than 5-6 days after I pay for it.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got the shipping notification 5 minutes ago. The other two items I had ordered at the same time I have received and is currently in use. Yeah we've had this conversation before. Our shipping capabilities in general are outstanding but some applications of it (like non-prime Amazon) are lack-luster at best. There are alternatives and I just need to remember to use them, ordering from Amazon has been a habit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts