Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am riding much less. Only one day a week weather permitting. I have been a cyclist for over 20 years but it has been getting old so I now have another cycle in my life. Wind rain and cold does not stop me from riding for I have heated clothing for the bike. The people in my group that I ride in are not really interested in my motorcycle stories. Has anybody else had this happen to them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am new in the motor bike dept too.
Ive just bought a wr250 Yamaha. That`s an enduro bike.
The riding around here is pretty lame so i sold my road bike and i went a little more edgy.
That was my solution for the xc training burnout thread i started a while ago.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'm going the other way...

Bought a MC to ride round town, then injured my back, now I'm trying to make (another!) comeback.

One thing that absolutely astounds me is how far you can ride in a day on an MC vs. a bike. I had LOTS of loops figgered out in Sandy Eggo that I can do from 1 to 4 hours. Now I have the same size loops, they just end up being MUCH longer (200-300miles/loop)

M

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WhiskeyNovember said:
I can relate. What kind of moto did you get?
In July I bought a Triumph Bonneville and then in December I traded it in on a BMW K1200RS. The Triumph was not a high speed machine but the BMW is wow! My short rides are now a tank of gas which is 180 to 200 miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
siclmn said:
In July I bought a Triumph Bonneville and then in December I traded it in on a BMW K1200RS. The Triumph was not a high speed machine but the BMW is wow! My short rides are now a tank of gas which is 180 to 200 miles.
Awesome bike! Let's see a pic. You might be surprised at how many motorcycle riders are into bicycles. Funny though you don't run into as many the other way around. Here's my other two-wheeled toy.

2wheelsport

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went the other way

I was a mt biker then rode the motorcycle for several years and recently got back into the biking thing.
Now my motorcycle gets ridden a lot less

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm into the moto thing as well. Been riding road bikes for about 6 years, then in 2003 got a cbr600rr which ended up being a lemon so once honda bought that back i got a 2004 cbr1000rr. Sold that due to injury and being off work (got hit by a car cycling) but bought a cheap dirt bike 2001 ktm 250sx. Riding dirt bikes has now become as much of a passion as cycling and I bought a new 2006 ktm 200xc to ride. I plan on a new street bike next spring. The dirt is more fun though because I go out with friends, the street bike is fun but feels like it is just transportation. Thought i was going to cut the road cycling down to ride dirt bike full time but can't do it because I get to fat and out of shape and I enjoy racing to much. I just call the dirt bike riding cross training now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sub said:
I'm into the moto thing as well. Been riding road bikes for about 6 years, then in 2003 got a cbr600rr which ended up being a lemon so once honda bought that back i got a 2004 cbr1000rr. Sold that due to injury and being off work (got hit by a car cycling) but bought a cheap dirt bike 2001 ktm 250sx. Riding dirt bikes has now become as much of a passion as cycling and I bought a new 2006 ktm 200xc to ride. I plan on a new street bike next spring. The dirt is more fun though because I go out with friends, the street bike is fun but feels like it is just transportation. Thought i was going to cut the road cycling down to ride dirt bike full time but can't do it because I get to fat and out of shape and I enjoy racing to much. I just call the dirt bike riding cross training now.
I came into some money recently so I bought a Madone 5.9 in December. Wife and I walked into a Harley dealer to get her a pair of earrings a few weeks ago and walked out with a 2006 Fatboy. She say is the Harley is hers so I'm looking for something a little different, looking closely at a BMW twin. Never did find her any earrings

·
Registered
5 Posts
siclmn said:
So I am riding much less. Only one day a week weather permitting. I have been a cyclist for over 20 years but it has been getting old so I now have another cycle in my life. Wind rain and cold does not stop me from riding for I have heated clothing for the bike. The people in my group that I ride in are not really interested in my motorcycle stories. Has anybody else had this happen to them?

Enjoy the new toy. Eventually you will find some balance between the two. As much as I love my Triumph S3 there are times when I will be riding along, spot some cyclists, and wish I was on my road bike. The opposite is true anytime I'm slogging up some nasty hill on the road bike. It is nice to be lucky enough to have both as an option.

I just picked up a Honda CR250 so now that can compete for time with the mountain bike.

And my wife just shakes her head....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Right on! Bunch of gearheads! Let's start another thread talking about carbon fiber bodywork and aftermarket wheels and debate whether reducing unsprung weight is more important than overall weight or what are the best tires. :D

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
No carbon fiber on my bike.

2wheelsport said:
Right on! Bunch of gearheads! Let's start another thread talking about carbon fiber bodywork and aftermarket wheels and debate whether reducing unsprung weight is more important than overall weight or what are the best tires. :D
Sorry guys, living in the land of corn and beans there are no canyon roads to carve down and going way into the triple digits left my blood years ago.

With the performance modifications I do have it will pull in a straight line faster than my friends highly modified Hayabusa to about 50 before he can pass me and that's fine for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
2wheelsport said:
I agree :D !!! I've got all kind of parts for my bike that I have not put on yet. I am taking next week off of work to work on my motorcycle and to finish breaking in the engine.

BTW...I like that Aprilia!!! Very clean lines. I like the integrated turn signals. That is one of the mods I will be doing to my bike...integrating the front and rear turn signals.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts